Rest of Season Will Be

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rest of Season Will Be

Torture Can Hardly Wait till It Will End
32%
Still Enjoyable Love my Lions even if they are bad
37%
Still Fun - Look Forward to NFL Cuts and Seeing New Players Audition for the Lions
26%
Season Not Over, Still Believe
5%

Total votes: 19
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I vote for Torture Can Hardly Wait till It Will End.

That is when real change can happen and this season end and be forgotten.

Until then it is hard to watch the Lions self destruct from week to week.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I chose "still enjoyable." I got my first season tickets in 1967. The Lions were bad, and they didn't have a winning record for 10 seasons after that, but I've always loved going to the stadium, watching all CFL games on TV, cheering and hoping for a chance the Lions make the playoffs, when anything can happen. We were spoiled by two decades of on-field success under David Braley's ownership but as bad as this year has been, there's no better experience than attending games and cheering with the same fans who have sat around me for decades. I've just moved to Kamloops but I still plan to drive to every game if possible.
BC 1988
Legend

I'm more option 2 than 1. Option 3 doesn't figure for me since any NFL cuts airlift will likely be players that would normally be on our practice roster. Farhan's argument yesterday was that we won't get any 1st tier quality cuts. Even if they are quality we still have the same old mess of coaching systems.

I still feel some option 1 because the pounding of Reilly is not sustainable--will he survive to set all-time league sack records? I hope it doesn't come to that.
David
Team Captain

Other than a right tackle, wide receiver, punter, or another defensive end, I am not really sure what upgrades can realistically be made to this roster to put us in the win column. I've maintained for some time to my friends who invariably ask me, "whatsamatter with the Lions?," it's 80% on coaching (schemes, preparation, adjustments, motivation, deployment, and in-game decision-making) and 20% on talent deficiencies.

We're in every game; we just find different ways to implode. We weren't patient enough last game and made a bad decision on 3rd and 9 in our end of the field. It was mind-blowingly dumb. The players should have been reminded, pre-snap, "If you see this, abandon that." Whether that got through to Lankford or not, we'll never know.

So yes, I love my Lions and still love going to games, but it's painful to watch the same things happen week after week on-field, then read the media's description of the off-field woes (primarily because they don't know enough about what's happening on-field). It's reaching a historic low-point for me.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I think the whole "NFL airlift" concept has become a thing of the past. While there's still a few players who turn north if they don't survive final NFL cuts they are becoming rarer and rarer. Even more rare are those who come to the CFL and make any sort of contribution. Looking at last year's cuts DeVier Posey and I think Jeff Knox were the only guys to return to the CFL and play shortly after. Off the top of my head I can't think of anybody who was new to the CFL coming up and making anything more than a token contribution. Those who do usually don't get added to a PR until PRs are expanded closer to end of September/early October.

Back when the airlift made an impact the difference between CFL salary and NFL salary for such players wasn't the abyss it is today. 2 weeks on an NFL PR at any point over the NFL season can earn most cuts as much as they stand to earn if they come north for what little remains of the CFL season. There was also a lot more left to the CFL season back then which equals more game cheques to potentially be earned. Back in 1975 the Lions still had 10 of 16 games remaining after Labour Day. There is virtually zero chance of any final NFL cuts being in a position to be activated in time for next weekend (Sept 7/8) unless the team wants to march them straight from the plane to the sidelines. By the time next weekend's games have concluded the Bombers & Esks will be down to 6 games left while everybody else except Montreal will have 7 to go. You can reduce those numbers by one for every additional week it takes a player to be ready for activation.

I guess it gets down to what sort of feedback a player's agent gets upon his release and canvasses around the NFL to see if there is any interest in his client. If they get a bit of positive feedback as in "give us a few weeks to see how things work out or if we get hit by injuries" then it behooves them to shut themselves out of that possibility for a few CFL sheckels. If the feedback is all negative or "don't call us, we'll call you" then the CFL becomes more of an option. One thing that might help though is the reinstitution of the NFL option window. It does open things up for the player to immediately head back down to try the NFL again as soon as their season is over.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Given the GM decimation of the roster and where we are at I'm still hanging in for the game when this all comes together. Hervey and Reilly did this same 1 and 9 (IIRC) in EDMTN and two years later won a Grey Cup.

Even fans have the natural tendency to point fingers and demand change but BC has had too much.

There is a case to be made for some upgrades but only if they result in actual improvement in:

1. pass protection that gets Reilly comfortable to look over his reads.

2. ST (kick cover) play and no penalties that keep killing BC.

3. a pass rush that sees other QBs sacked.

4. DB's that are ball hawks and bringing in INTs and striking fear in opposing QBs - not much happening like that now.

5. Offensive schemes with pass routes that reflect the time of the pass protection.

6. Play calling on OFF that leads to less predictability.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
maxlion
Legend

I chose "still enjoyable." I'd like to see Reilly have some success after the punishment he has endured. I like a lot of the players this year. I can see some fight and determination remaining despite the adversity.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I would have voted for "still love my Lions" but I can't agree with the "still enjoyable" part. There is nothing enjoyable about watching this team play so poorly. I have tickets for the Ottawa game (I am typically only in Canada for 1 or 2 games per year) and for the first time in 20 years I don't want to go watch a Lions game live. If my brother-in-law had not already got the tickets I would rather stay in and watch the game on his massive TV instead.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Toppy Vann wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:20 pm
Given the GM decimation of the roster and where we are at I'm still hanging in for the game when this all comes together. Hervey and Reilly did this same 1 and 9 (IIRC) in EDMTN and two years later won a Grey Cup. Even fans have the natural tendency to point fingers and demand change but BC has had too much.

My Reply to This:

Reilly was a lot younger then. He is much older now and more beaten up. Yes Lions have had wholesale changes 2 years in a row, but whose decision was it to do that? Ed Hervey. There was not a need to do it again this year. Their defence played well last year and he made far too many changes again which was unnecessary and him cutting Solly and Rolly were mistakes, for Lions miss their leadership.

Also Jones is a far better coach than Claybrooks. I predict Claybrooks will not even be the coach in 2 years.

Some people keep thinking somehow Hervey and Reilly will somehow magically turn it around, but I don't buy it. They spend too much of the cap on 2 or 3 players and unless they restructure Reilly's contract or cut the OL they got from the Bombers, who makes way too much money, they will not go anywhere. I predicted Lions to finish last in the West, but did not expect it to be this bad.

I for one feel Ed Hervey deserves to be fired at season's end and think he will be. The offseason will be way more interesting and if Lions finish 2 and 16 or 3 and 15, they have to make major changes for what they got is not working. I agree with Farhan, most of the assistant coaches will be fired and maybe even Claybrooks. Remember, the Canucks signed John T, to a 5 year deal and fired him after just 1 year eating his last 4 years so anything is possible.

I too love my Lions, but when you are 8 or 9 it is a lot more exciting to watch your heroes than at age 56 which I am now. Lions of 72 had a lot more heart and passion than these guys.

I will watch the remaining games, but feel no excitement at all in doing so for it is like watching a train wreck from week to week. And their coaching leaves way too much to be desired.