Blue Bombers Release Chris Matthews - Think Lions Have Interest

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnnyMusso
Champion

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have released American receiver Chris Matthews, the team announced on Wednesday.

Could you see the Lions cutting Carter and signing Matthews. I thought Matthews looked pretty good for the Bombers so surprised by this news. Though Carter may not an issue in the dressing room, he has largely been unproductive this year. If Lions want Matthews they have to cut someone to make room and Carter is the only option there. I feel Matthews would be an upgrade over Carter and hope Lions go after him.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Anyone would be an upgrade over Carter, given his lack of production this year, but the Lions have to pay him for the season so I can’t see him being released for another vet. I would much rather see Joey Augustin get reps at Carter’s position if the Lions can find a way to get him on the roster.
South Pender
Legend

I don't think so. It's true that Matthews has played only 6 games this season, but his reception/target percentage is a pretty weak 52% (12 in 23 targets). He hasn't really been that much of a factor in the Bombers' offense and seems to lack consistency. The Bombers appear not to think he's an asset, and I can't see him being really productive with the Lions.

It's true, though, as you note, that Carter has certainly failed to meet expectations here. In the last Ticats game, he caught one pass in four targets for 1 yard. And on the season, his receptions to targets percentage is a pretty mediocre 59% (38 receptions in 64 targets). The top 50 receivers in the CFL so far this season have an average 70% receptions to targets percentage. And Carter's average yards per reception is a very low 8.7. Some of this mediocrity may well be system-related, but some has to be attributed to Carter himself.

So I think I'd pass on Matthews. NFL cuts come this Saturday, and 1184 players will be available. I think that this is where the Lions should be focused--not just for receivers, but also for linemen, backers, and DBs.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

BC Fan and South Pender - I agree with both of your takes.

Mathews like Carter might be a victim of the multi-weapons and also the QB and now back up not really big downfield passers.

While Mike R is normally a good long pass guy, he's not the same this season given the failures up front. Then they fall into the same old in the second half and he becomes a piñata .
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
The_Pauser
Legend

I would absolutely be interested in giving Matthews a look. Our receivers haven't been very productive, and I really think we should go back to 3 imports and 2 nationals.

I would also be waiting to see if Duke Williams is cut by the Bills, so I probably wouldn't jump to sign Matthews just yet. The latest 53-man roster projections does not have Williams on it, though I suppose he could go on their practice roster.
Roar you Lions roar!
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

The only way the Lions could make room for Matthews would be to release Simonise (who has been pretty much invisible, so you never know). All the other receivers either have guaranteed contracts for the remainder of the season or are Canadian.
David
Team Captain

I say "pass" on Matthews and Farhan said the same today (TSN1040 radio). I would develop a big young target like Augustin or someone else. I don't want to tie up salary for a guy that may or may not be a good fit here, as there's a reason the Bombers cut him. Then there was the late-night "stabbing" incident (fork mishap?) in downtown Winnipeg earlier this year that quietly went away, and that would be a hard pass.

Interestingly, I threw his name out to Ed Hervey last year several weeks before Calgary signed him, but he never replied (he signed Posey instead). And Belize City Lion, Simonise is Canadian (a local Vancouver kid). He's not going anywhere right now.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The_Pauser wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:35 pm
I would absolutely be interested in giving Matthews a look. Our receivers haven't been very productive, and I really think we should go back to 3 imports and 2 nationals.

I would also be waiting to see if Duke Williams is cut by the Bills, so I probably wouldn't jump to sign Matthews just yet. The latest 53-man roster projections does not have Williams on it, though I suppose he could go on their practice roster.
Even without the disaster that is the 2019 BC Lions, wouldn't Duke Williams be more inclined to re-sign with the Esks where he had previous success, once his NFL options run out? Or is he another "ED guy"?
David
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:02 pm
Even without the disaster that is the 2019 BC Lions, wouldn't Duke Williams be more inclined to re-sign with the Esks where he had previous success, once his NFL options run out? Or is he another "ED guy"?
Yup. Even if he's released (it seems unlikely that he would not at least be given a PR spot given his preseason productivity), as Farhan notes, what incentive is there to come to B.C. on likely a one-year deal (if he wants to try the NFL again) with no playoff money? Familiarity with Ed and Mike, or not.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
BC 1988
Legend

DanoT wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:35 pm

That was something Farhan commented on in the TSN interview David mentioned (along with his general aside that BC is unlikely to be a draw for quality NFL cuts since there will be "no playoff money").
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1357112
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Biggest problem with Matthews and likely main reason Winnipeg let him go is he's been in and out of the tub all year. Missed all but half a dozen practices in training camp and missed a few games since then. At best he would be damaged goods.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

And to what purpose at the end? You could probably bring in a Gerry Rice and still not improve. I agree with those who suggest that at this stage we might as well explore what we have in the development ranks. That's holds for the QB too. We all know what Reilly can do but he can be brought out in games where the outcome is not in doubt. He won't get pummeled as much and maybe we can see if there is something to work with in the back up category.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

BC 1988 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:06 pm
That was something Farhan commented on in the TSN interview David mentioned (along with his general aside that BC is unlikely to be a draw for quality NFL cuts since there will be "no playoff money").
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1357112
To play devil's advocate to that which is the better place to go? A 1-9 team where there's a chance to play and show your abilities perhaps earning another NFL look? Or a team that has high probability of getting playoff money but greater chance that you might spend the rest of the year on the PR waiting for somebody to get hurt? Only players on the active roster or injured list earn playoff money.

For the vast majority of players the opportunity to play far exceeds any potential to get some playoff money. Doing some quick ciphering on a couple scenarios if a player signs a $55K deal and gets in 5 regular season games and 3 or 4 weeks on the PR they stand to earn $18K. A player who signs the same deal and gets only 2 games on the 46 and 6 or 7 games on the PR stands to earn $10K. They can add $7K to that if they are on the 46 or IR and their team plays in a divisional final. Their team has to get to the Grey Cup to make the bigger money.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
The_Pauser
Legend

DanoT wrote:

I think Farhan Lalji mentioned today that he doesn't think any NFL cuts would want to come to the BC Lions. He's probably not wrong. But I see the Lions as in a position where they could cut some players to create space and offer a good salary to a player. In Williams's case it would also be familiarity with Reilly and Hervey.

But you're probably right.
Roar you Lions roar!
South Pender
Legend

The_Pauser wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:16 pm
DanoT wrote:

I think Farhan Lalji mentioned today that he doesn't think any NFL cuts would want to come to the BC Lions. He's probably not wrong. But I see the Lions as in a position where they could cut some players to create space and offer a good salary to a player. In Williams's case it would also be familiarity with Reilly and Hervey.

But you're probably right.
I don't agree with Farhan about that. I think there will be guys desperate to continue their football careers (and perhaps earn another NFL look down the road), and a chance to play here could well appeal to some.