Blue Bombers Release Chris Matthews - Think Lions Have Interest

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Bringing in NFL cuts who basically are only here to get a further chance down south won't improve this team over the long term.

Only recently has QB Vernon Adams MTL admitted that it's only recently he's taken the CFL seriously and upped his regard for the talent.

The best NFL cuts are often the guys who've been here in the CFL who just want to play at home where the dollars are bigger but who love this game here. Calgary and other CFL teams would sign Alex Singleton in a heart beat (he was in Calgary to see a game not that long ago and has tweeted out how it's CFL night at the Singleton household on game day).

But those who are just seeking the NFL and we now have one of them in Brent Boyko) aren't a panacea always as some are less interested in playing that getting bigger money even if it means they sit on PRs for a few seasons and get in a few games.

The guys who will play for the love of playing are more typically the recent college players. To get them it's about scouting or a network like Eric Tillman had when he was a GM.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Bringing in NFL cuts who basically are only here to get a further chance down south won't improve this team over the long term.

Only recently has QB Vernon Adams MTL admitted that it's only recently he's taken the CFL seriously and upped his regard for the talent.

The best NFL cuts are often the guys who've been here in the CFL who just want to play at home where the dollars are bigger but who love this game here. Calgary and other CFL teams would sign Alex Singleton in a heart beat (he was in Calgary to see a game not that long ago and has tweeted out how it's CFL night at the Singleton household on game day).

But those who are just seeking the NFL and we now have one of them in Brent Boyko) aren't a panacea always as some are less interested in playing that getting bigger money even if it means they sit on PRs for a few seasons and get in a few games.

The guys who will play for the love of playing are more typically the recent college players. To get them it's about scouting or a network like Eric Tillman had when he was a GM.

According to Derek Baumann, TSN, Darwin Adams is coming off injury and he'll play right away.
Also Matthews has been hurt twice this year (stabbed and other injury).
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Matthews has signed with the Als.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:41 am
Matthews has signed with the Als.
I am not surprised that someone would take him as he's not that far from his days of outstanding play.

Right now, BC has other more pressing needs than REC but in sports nothing surprises me.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Als will be even more fun to watch. Of all the misery that comes this season watching Khari Jones lead a dynamic offence and look like a great young head coach might hurt most of all.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:11 pm
Als will be even more fun to watch. Of all the misery that comes this season watching Khari Jones lead a dynamic offence and look like a great young head coach might hurt most of all.
And nobody seems to be complaining about the job Mark Washington is doing as DC in Hamilton.
Last edited by Coast Mountain Lion on Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Well, fair enough, and I'm certainly willing to eat crow regards my formerly expressed opinions on the abilities of Khari and Mark W. I can honestly say I'm happy for them and their current success. They've been wearing it well this season. Good for them. They've continued to work hard (they always did) and have nicely adapted to their new environments. It's nice to see. Now I guess I can hope that Jarious gets the same opportunity-- elsewhere. Sometimes, indeed, a change is better than a rest, for all concerned. That said, there's something about Jarious that seems more stubborn and stuck, and I wonder how he might adapt--if he would blossom elsewhere. I don't pretend to know, but I do wonder. On well... who knows, he may yet surprise me right here under our own roof. (Maybe Kelly Bates can stir the pot just enough to make a difference somehow.)
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Sometimes a coach's success is situational at the pro level.

Feel bad for Bryan Chiu as he is a local and great player for years. Good for Kelly Bates.

My only concern with Chiu is that the OL practice didn't look as crisp as it did back in the day when Bates played BUT now the one on ones are restricted.