Claybrooks says Full Examination Coming

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Reggiemac
Rookie

I believe Coach Clay and Reilly are vulnerable as the team is demotivated Reillyhas lost the offense Ciach Clay cant seem to lead theream andits on him. Cutting Reily And carter wi free up lots of dollars tohireeplaements
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Reggiemac wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:44 pm
I believe Coach Clay and Reilly are vulnerable as the team is demotivated Reillyhas lost the offense Ciach Clay cant seem to lead theream andits on him. Cutting Reily And carter wi free up lots of dollars tohireeplaements
You ok?
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Reggiemac wrote:
As long as Ed Hervey is here Mike Reilly will never be cut. I think Carter just signed a 1 year deal so he likely will be here for rest of season unless a real good receiver becomes available after the NFL cuts. They will probably not resign Carter for next season, but I expect Reilly to be here next season.

You say cut Reilly. Who are you going to replace him with this year? Only guys that will be available are green rookies and you cannot win or sell the Lions to season ticket holders having Grant Kramer or another rookie to lead the team and no cheaper options with experience will be available till free agency.
The_Pauser
Legend

Lol Mike Reilly isn't being cut.
Roar you Lions roar!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Reggiemac wrote:
This is nowhere close to reality.

Players like the HC, their QB and only fans and media have issues with Duron Carter.

On freeing up this money, you're delusional here.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Figaro
Rookie

If this examination is a Pass/Fail examination then here are a few failures. Thompson fails. You can not have 4 of the 8 penalties on special teams and play on the team again. He almost single-handedly placed the team at a disadvantage regarding where the starting line of scrimmage was. Look at the huge - almost 400 yards of offense - we had to eat up forty or fifty yards each possession just to get into the Hamilton side of the field.

Foucault has to go. He has been a swinging gate on the O-line. Being a glutton for punishment, I watched the line play on replay and saw that he consistently was slow off his mark - that the man he should be blocking had already gained leverage on him. Chungh has been a big disappointment; perhaps his poor play is a result of playing hurt - he sure isn't the guard he was for the last few years. Refroe had a good game in Hamilton and then struggled with the snap count on more than one occasion last game. I agree that it is time to start Knevel at right tackle - when he has played he has played better than the others. Start Steward in place of Foucault. As for center? Too late in the game to make yet another change at center. It could be that all these changes at center have set the timing off for the line. Remember Figueroa still in his stance while the defensive end had gone by him for a sack in the game in Hamilton. I don't blame Reilly for the snap counts - on the telecast, the announcers even counted the number of times he said beta on one down after a sack - SEVEN TIMES - and they still had a procedure called on them with someone thinking it was an alpha count. To me, that is on the coach - lazy, unfocussed discipline like this is something a coach must eliminate and he has not. They will not fire Chiu during the season but expect him gone when the season ends. Speaking of blaming Reilly, I am not sure who is in control of the offensive scheme, Reilly, Claybrooks or Jarious. I think it is JJ when we get the ball out fast to White, or Cottoy out of the backfield but then it is Reilly as he stands in the pocket with time to throw - even throw it away - looking for a deep receiver to get open. Look at Harris in Edmonton - quick passes and outlets - I think he has been sacked 4 times all year compared to our 40. The style of play is what needs to change and I wonder how much resistance Reilly gives to his OC on this issue. Another Fail is Duron Carter - goodbye. Last game with him on the field it was like we were playing only 11 men

On the Pass side of things, I like the play of White - who has really surprised me; although, the running back coach should work with him more on improving his blocking - Rutley is a much better blocker but White has shown real explosiveness running and receiving. Wayne Moore is a keeper as is Jevon Cottoy - we moved the ball well when we started going to them. I give a Pass to Peters at DB - he is really good as well as a Pass for Dozier. The defensive line is a disaster and is fodder for another topic line.
BC 1988
Legend

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1356650
Matt Dunigan on with the Moj (and Jon Abbott) today.
Great interview, a lot of emotion in Dunigan's voice about the situation Reilly is in.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Would love to know the name of the player who quit during the play.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:01 pm
Would love to know the name of the player who quit during the play.
Do you think it rhymes with Farter?
TurfGuy
prospect

Congrats to Reilly for breaking his all time passing record.

It looks like he's on track to set-break another record this season, the all time sack record. Unless personnel are addressed on the O-line, he will easily set a record seeing as we've hit the half way mark and he's surpassed 40 sacks thus far.

The O-line has been under scrutiny since pre-season. There has been so much shuffling from left to right, with the exception of Figueroa keeping his position (only missed time for injury). Most recently, he's had a few false start penalties, which leads to me believe there is some creedence to issues at centre. Foucault, is slow, with lead feet. Steward, when healthy, seems on the mark at LG, the duo of Fig and Steward looks solid - as it should given the # of games they've played together. Aside from Hamilton on August 10, Renfrow hasn't impressed. Nor has Chungh. Boyko, not surprising has been a bitter disappointment (why anyone thought he would be a CFL star is beyond me, seriously now, he couldn't make an NFL roster or get off the bench playing for the AAFL). I liked JS Roy at centre, and hope he's well enough soon to resume that position. Is Johnson really a better option that Peirson? at least until Godber is healthy?

I've seen my fair share of football games, live and on TV. Games are won - and lost - upfront, and our upfront sucks. What I'd give to be a fly on the wall during film review with the O-line and Coach Chiu. What does he say to the "big nasty' guys he spoke so highly up before the start of the season now? They certainly haven't lived up to all the 'hype'!! Nor does it look like he's made any steps to remedy their lack of pass protection/run blocking as week after week we watch at Reilly gets knocked off his feet. Bear in mind, most of the front 5 have played several (with several playing several more) years in the league (several have NFL and CFL experience), and at this point in their career, skill and technique should be second nature to them. Where is the leadership in this group of men? Are they being coached at all?

Any news on Godber and whether he'll be healthy to resume soon? What about Knevel at RT? Two 2018 draft picks that stepped up, both with NCAA experience.

I hope the O-line will be examined carefully, the health/future of Reilly depends on it.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I can't help but feel that this "Full Examination" is about 4 weeks too late. It has all the drama of a soap opera and about as much substance. I mean what is this examination going to reveal that hasn't been all too obvious to most for weeks? Are they going to discover their OLine has been horrendous? That the Dline can't get pressure? Our special teams have been woeful? That our QB has been holding on to the ball too long? Or maybe will they figure out that the OC doesn't have the chops to run a dynamic, creative offense. I don't know what this discovery process is going to reveal that isn't already known! It seems a poor attempt to suggest that some kind of huge change could come as a result and frankly, I just don't believe it. It is the kind of thing that you say in hopes that you will placate the masses while you try and digest just how bad the situation is. It is as bad as this. They have botched the season, the management either badly overestimated the personnel both on and off the field or simply are in over their heads. Don't know which, probably some of both and as a fan, really don't care at this point. Salary cap wise they are pretty much committed now so we are stuck with the results and will be until the end of the season. We will probably be paying for this management's mistakes for 2 or 3 years to come. Having this "full examination" now after the salaries are guaranteed has been a guarantee that what we have been witnessing is going to continue till the end of the season. They have overpaid for somethings to the detriment of others. They have released personnel that they should have found a way to keep and the talent that they were counting on simply hasn't performed. It is a case of a day late/dollar short.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Interesting that we haven't heard a peep from Ed Hervey.............
BC 1988
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:44 pm
Interesting that we haven't heard a peep from Ed Hervey.............
He's probably too busy working on "the purrfect Play" (I still can't believe they made this stupid ad, considering what happens if the results are less than purrfect)