Claybrooks says Full Examination Coming

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnnyMusso
Champion

Following his team’s latest loss, head coach DeVone Claybrooks promised the Lions would undergo a full examination during the upcoming bye week and every coaching and playing position would be reviewed.

Does that mean changes are coming not only with the roster but with the coaching staff. Bryan Chiu may be in trouble. OL gives up another 7 sack game and over 40 on the season and could hit 100, if this trend continues.

ST guy on thin ice too.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Ed Willis gives these thoughts:

That leaves the final two months as a test case for the Hervey-Claybrooks administration. If the Lions go, say, 4-4 over their final eight games and send the message there’s hope, they might be able to bring one or both back. That will be a lot harder with a 2-16 team. If there are any immediate changes they will probably come to the coaching staff, most of whom were hand-selected by Claybrooks this off-season.
zeppo
Starter

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:34 pm

Bryan Chiu may be in trouble. OL gives up another 7 sack game and over 40 on the season and could hit 100, if this trend continues.
Heh! For years, most of the regulars on this board were relentless in their criticism of Dan Dorazio, implying that the
only reason he continued to have a job was because Wally was his boss.
Sometimes you need to be careful what you wish for. :bang:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

zeppo wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:55 pm
JohnnyMusso wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:34 pm

Bryan Chiu may be in trouble. OL gives up another 7 sack game and over 40 on the season and could hit 100, if this trend continues.
Heh! For years, most of the regulars on this board were relentless in their criticism of Dan Dorazio, implying that the
only reason he continued to have a job was because Wally was his boss.
Sometimes you need to be careful what you wish for. :bang:
True, but Dorazio’s Argos are 1-8 and have given up the second most sacks in the league. We can still wish for something better.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The OLine decimation and performance is on the GM not the coaching staff.

Not sure firing Brian Chiu who is a good coach and knows how a top OFF line plays is going to happen.

But ST coach could be shifted down or out.

JJ could be asked to hand over the play calling.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Question I have is why has it taken this long to do a complete examination of the organization. Shouldn't this have been done during the first bye week ?
SammyGreene
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:45 pm
Question I have is why has it taken this long to do a complete examination of the organization. Shouldn't this have been done during the first bye week ?
Exactly. Becomes more apparent with each passing week (and losses) the biggest decisions for this club are falling into the lap of Rick LeLacheur.

As a business, consumer confidence couldn't be much lower. The marketing and sales departments have nothing to work with yet 5 home games still left to sell. More importantly they will be rolling on their 2020 season ticket renewal campaign in about a month.
The_Pauser
Legend

The ST coach should be the first one gone, our special teams have been brutal this year.

Offensive and defensive line coaches also should be on thin ice. We have way too much money invested in our offensive line for it to be this bad. I do believe these position coaches are also at the mercy of their respective coordinators, and that trickle down effect has hurt them.

Really, no one should be safe. This team has been a failure in all facets of the game this season.
Roar you Lions roar!
JohnnyMusso
Champion

How long will it take before any changes could happen? A week? Before they resume practices? If a coach is fired, they have to find a replacement. Who on current staff could replace any of the coaches? These are specialized coaches so if for example they want to fire the ST coach or OL or DL, who could take over? Even if they want to fire someone, who is going to be the replacement unless they look outside the organization and have enough money to hire 1 or 2 new coaches.

Replacing players will be far easier. I feel Thompson may be the first vet to get cut.
David
Team Captain

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:49 am
Replacing players will be far easier. I feel Thompson may be the first vet to get cut.
I highly doubt it. Post-game announcers (I believe it was Farhan) who said he would get snapped up in a heartbeat by another team if released and would go on to star for that team.

He's a guy who was a starter last year at safety, missed camp, was inserted at the last minute Week One then struggled with his confidence, moved to the corner (and missed some tackles against EDM or CGY?) then sat out. A fast, versatile National is invaluable in the secondary.

My issue is more with our O-line. If we're going to give up 7 sacks, I'd rather it be with 3 Nationals than 3 Internationals. :tease: I have seen Renfroe stationary on too many snaps to not think Knevel would be a better choice with his wingspan. At least play him there for a game or two. Surely, he couldn't fare any worse.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Bob Marjanovich and Giulio Caravatta had a good discussion about the Lions’ O-line and special-teams woes Monday morning on TSN 1040. One of the issues they cited wih the O-line is the snap count. Several times the ball appeared to be snapped early while other linemen were stationary. At other times, the Lions took procedure penalties when the ball wasn ‘t snapped on time.

The centre is the QB of the offensive line, and makes the blocking calls. This is the second straight year that the Lions have used four centres, most of them with little or no experience at the position. You can’t get cohesive play from the O-line if the centre makes bad calls or messes up the snap count or the snap itself.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

David wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:49 am
JohnnyMusso wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:49 am
I highly doubt it. Post-game announcers (I believe it was Farhan) who said he would get snapped up in a heartbeat by another team if released and would go on to star for that team.

He's a guy who was a starter last year at safety, missed camp, was inserted at the last minute Week One then struggled with his confidence, moved to the corner (and missed some tackles against EDM or CGY?) then sat out. A fast, versatile National is invaluable in the secondary.

My issue is more with our O-line. If we're going to give up 7 sacks, I'd rather it be with 3 Nationals than 3 Internationals. :tease: I have seen Renfroe stationary on too many snaps to not think Knevel would be a better choice with his wingspan. At least play him there for a game or two. Surely, he couldn't fare any worse.

If that was the case David, why did no other team sign him during free agency. Not one team was interested for months, until the Lions were after the preseason. I do not buy the notion he will be snapped up immediately for he wasn't during free agency for months.

Thompson is not good enough and I for one would have no problem seeing him releasing. Many draft picks are busts. Look at Laurent Lions gave up on him after just 1 season and he is trying to revive his career with Ottawa now. Both he and Thompson may just never pan out.
David
Team Captain

Haha, hey ask Farhan. Those were his words. I think cutting Thompson is a bit drastic but I do think he should have been sat down after the second or third no yards penalty.

Any word on Godber, B.C. FAN? I think he's a natural centre. Roy seemed to be playing pretty well there but he lost his job to Norman who may have been perceived as bigger and more physical.

Since the reshuffle to 4 Internationals, our run blocking has arguably improved, but pass protection is still a mess. They were saying Chungh got banged up last game (ankle).

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:45 pm
Kato and Reichelt hid the rubber gloves?

No doubt they looked at things during the first bye. Several lineup changes and roster moves have happened since then. Back then they probably looked more at personnel and what needed to change to make schemes work. Obviously that didn't do the trick so time to dig right to the bone.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

The trade for Renfrow did not pan out. He just has not looked good. When the NFL cuts come, he may be replaced by someone better if his play does not improve.

With the coaching cap, maybe they can afford to fire 1 coach and replace him if someone unemployed is available, but he likely would have to be signed for next year to be lured to come in now during a lost season. Shuffling the deck may work, but all these guys are inexperienced. Do you fire Taylor A and replace him with this assistant? Would that any make a difference? Claybrooks has already starting calling defensive plays and taking more of a role in the DC job. But doubt Stubler leaves due to him being a mentor to Devone.

Maybe they do what Ottawa did and shuffle the deck chairs, but we do not have a Joe Paopao with over 20 years experience. That decision was no brainer since he was a OC before and a good QB.