If Lions Sold After the Season - What Will Happen - Updated Poll

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

If Lions Sold After the Season - What Will Happen - Updated Poll

Remain Status Quo - Keep Everyone
No votes
Hire a New President, but Keep Hervey & Claybrooks for at least 1 more season
25%
Fire Ed Hervey & some Assistant Coaches
38%
Clean House - Fire Hervey, Claybrooks, his Assistants and Keep Rick L or Replace Him
38%
Just Fire Assistant Coaches
No votes

Total votes: 8
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I still say they will Clean House & either Keep Rick L for another year or hire New President too.
Last edited by JohnnyMusso on Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Actually Wally coming back now might be a Braley hail Mary haha. But I'd not fire the HC but coach him and get this thing stabilized. Still think Wally should have been the President.

What Wally brings is not X's and O's but a performance oriented culture that seems a bit lacking still. 4 ST penalities of the 15 yard variety by #23 Thompson suggests issues.

Reilly looks old as he doesn't fit this offence given how the plays are called and it's structured. It will only work when u get protection and time as the deep routes are designed to have REC turn later. If I were Carter, I'd turn earlier. BUT Reilly misses the deep open even in practice at times.

You see flashes of creativity and moving the pocket then JJ falls back to the predictable.

The irony here is that the Lions lost to the Ticats by 1 pt and 3 pts in 2 games.

There is a media lack of analysis in the structure of this offence and the play calling and how players are used. Burris noted how slow Reilly was in getting the ball out (3.3 secs and sacked) and he did that slow play again last night.

DEF - pass rush is better but clearly we need a better player there and LB play is better now but can be better. DBs don't look dangerous or confident enough to INT more despite Butler's two last night
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions won’t be sold before the season’s end. No one wil want to come in and pay for this year’s losses, including any costs of firing staff under contract. The best that we can hope for us a conditional sale that would take effect after the season. That would at least give current season ticket-holders some hope at renewal time.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:20 am
The Lions won’t be sold before the season’s end. No one wil want to come in and pay for this year’s losses, including any costs of firing staff under contract. The best that we can hope for us a conditional sale that would take effect after the season. That would at least give current season ticket-holders some hope at renewal time.
I don't know if those things would factor much. Season ticket money is already in the bank and at least half spent. Players are paid after every game. There wouldn't be a lot of obligations for player salaries or for that matter coaching and football ops salaries by that point. In the grand scheme of things anybody serious enough to buy the club and dedicated enough to be in it for the long haul won't worry much about taking over with 1 month left in the season versus after the season. If that became a deal breaker then they might not be the group that should ultimately prevail.

Regardless there are only 2 months and a week left in the season. LeLacheur seems to still be in the feeling out stages of talking to multiple prospective groups. If they aren't yet close to offering one of those groups exclusive negotiating rights then it's hard to fathom a conditional sale being in place by season's end. While approval by the BOG would still be required it would be a rubber stamp given Braley's main criteria for the type of group he wants to sell too. Don't need to worry about any Skalbania or Glieberman types.

If anything a worry might be that a new group might not have the keys to the den until after say January thus missing out on the best time to be replacing GMs and coaching staff...……………..if they want to clean house immediately.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

I agree. I can't see a deal in place and new owners taking over until the off-season. Well into the off-season. I would prefer to see one soon for front office decision-making (RE: personnel decisions and ticket pricing structuring, which needs an overhaul, or at the very least a lot of tweaking, IMHO).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
cms22
Starter

some interesting ideas in this thread and others...

i look at our sacks given up and i think it's on alot of different people, including mike reilly. obviouis JJ and the offensive line being largest factors.

i watched florida-miami last night. very sloppy game...... anyway, Miami QB was running for his life constantly. doesn't seem like we are in that situation.

for the rebuild ahead, i think a young, highly mobile (cheap) QB fits our roster better than reilly. if we were 8-10 team needing a moderate push, then reilly might be your guy
cms22
Starter

Geroy = new GM. Lulay expanded role. maybe OC. bring back Wally in some part-time but important capacity.

don't laugh, but if we get common WC and Lions ownership down the road, maybe bob lenarduzzi in marketing.

as you can tell, i think this team needs more local flavor.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I do not think Lulay is interested in the OC position and unlikely to be hired by Claybrooks due to a lack of experience. Lions need more experience in the coaching ranks and probably will fire the ST and OL coach at season's end. Both have failed badly and need to be let go. Bryan Chiu makes Dan D looks like the best OL ever.

And Whitecaps are not for sale and I do not want the current Whitecaps owners. They are cheap and have run the Whitecaps into the ground and organization has been plagued by scandals. The Canucks owners would be better than the Whitecaps owners, but do not want them either for they are too impatient and meddle too much.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:21 pm
I do not think Lulay is interested in the OC position and unlikely to be hired by Claybrooks due to a lack of experience. Lions need more experience in the coaching ranks and probably will fire the ST and OL coach at season's end. Both have failed badly and need to be let go. Bryan Chiu makes Dan D looks like the best OL ever.

And Whitecaps are not for sale and I do not want the current Whitecaps owners. They are cheap and have run the Whitecaps into the ground and organization has been plagued by scandals. The Canucks owners would be better than the Whitecaps owners, but do not want them either for they are too impatient and meddle too much.
There really isn't any point in hiring an interim coach at this juncture. In the off season, no doubt there will be some qualified individuals currently with other teams that may be looking for advancement up the coaching ranks. Do you think that Dave Dickenson might be interested in a GM position for example. Jarious is gone , so is Stubler, the rest, I don't know but I suspect Hervey will be gone as well based on how he has badly muffed the personnel and contracts to the point of having to pay out a lot of money just to get rid of his mistakes. And at this point, I am wondering if Reilly was one of those mistakes. His pay is way out of whack for his performances. As has been mentioned, some of the woes fall on his shoulders as well. For the money he is earning, you could reasonably expect a player who can adapt the offense to compensate for the Oline even if the OC doesn't seem willing and able. He has been outplayed by a number of rookie QB's this season. You would think that an experienced, championship QB would be able to get the ball out quickly, improvise on the fly and generally carry more weight of the team on his shoulders. We have seen little of the championship calibre QB that we were all expecting. It's not all his fault but if we are going to be getting beat like a rented mule, we shouldn't be paying top dollar for those kinds of results.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I'm 100% confident that you will never see Dave Dickenson leave Calgary.

Right now they're looking ordinary without BLM at QB but his career path is to take over for Hufnagel in time - if he chose that route.

I'd welcome the addition of Lulay to the offensive mix of coaches - even as a forced advisor - but from watching practice they have Nik Lewis who knows this game very well and not is just a great former player.

The OLine issues this past game all happened when Jackson went vanilla.

They need someone to come in and challenge the offensive structure and play calling including getting Reilly to get rid of the freaking ball earlier.

Pass routes with deep REC designed to decoy (carter ) and not turn back quickly don't work when you're under pressure. If Carter is not turning in time - then why is this practiced ALL season and not changed when u know your QB has no time?

Pass routes with a wide open deep receiver right down the centre and QB goes intermediate or short as he's not looking at the decoy (Burnham/Durant) need to change.

Lions backup in Danny O'Brien at QB give them zero run options. The 3rd guy hardly takes a rep in practice so who knows what he can do.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
The_Pauser
Legend

If the team is sold before the end of the season I don’t expect any changes will be made until the offseason.

First would be a new team President. It’s hard to speculate since that will be dependent on who buys the team, but that will be the first change. The new owner is going to want his own guy, and I don’t believe Lalacheur was ever intended for a longterm role.

Marco Iannuzzi is an interesting name for President. I typically hate just penciling in alumni for these kinds of roles because they don’t always work out, but in his case he has a business degree from Harvard, and runs his own finance business outside of football. He understands the CFL, he understands this market, and on paper has all the qualifications you would look for. I would also urge him to look through the CIS, NCAA, and NFL levels to bring in additional staff who come from successful programs.

Once a President is brought in, that’s when I think a decision on the GM will be made.

Hervey’s performance has been a mixed bag. I have been impressed with his willingness to make changes. I agree with the changes he hasn’t made for the most part, and he has put an emphasis on allocating money to the right areas (O-line, D-line, QB), but for some reason the players he has brought in haven’t worked out. If it were me, I would give him one more year to see if he can work his way out of this mess. I’m 50/50 on whether or not he’ll get that opportunity though.

Beyond that, you look at the coaching staff. I think Claybrooks is safe because of the coaching cap, at least for one more year. But his assistants are likely all but gone. Nik Lewis might be worth holding on to. RP as well. And I’m not sure what Drew Tate has done but someone more familiar with his work could probably offer more insight on him. But the rest, gone.

I would be intrigued by bringing in some of the more innovative minds from CIS up here. I would also like to see if we can bring back Randy Melvin (though doubtful as we just let him go), and Doug Malone as O-line coach.
Roar you Lions roar!
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:34 am
I'm 100% confident that you will never see Dave Dickenson leave Calgary.

Right now they're looking ordinary without BLM at QB but his career path is to take over for Hufnagel in time - if he chose that route.

I'd welcome the addition of Lulay to the offensive mix of coaches - even as a forced advisor - but from watching practice they have Nik Lewis who knows this game very well and not is just a great former player.
You're probably quite right but it was a name thrown out as an example only. There are others who might fit that bill too which is why it isn't worthwhile making changes now. We don't have a full accounting of who might be available and won't have until the end of the season. If we are going to have a bloodletting, might as well be when we have a full slate of possible options which won't come until after the Grey Cup is played.

What is more interesting to me is the results of the poll in this thread. The majority seem to think that nothing at all is going to happen and that is a very dangerous situation for any ball club. It suggests strongly that fans in the know have a high degree of pessimism in the management of this team. That can easily translate to an even bigger lack of ticket sales if that is possible.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

What is more interesting to me is the results of the poll in this thread. The majority seem to think that nothing at all is going to happen and that is a very dangerous situation for any ball club. It suggests strongly that fans in the know have a high degree of pessimism in the management of this team. That can easily translate to an even bigger lack of ticket sales if that is possible.
[/quote]

I think it was more the way I worded the point. I changed it now to Lions being sold after the season. I think those 6 people believe nothing will happen before the end of the season rather than after the season.

I think the results probably would be different if I said after the season which I have now done. I doubt people really think new owners will do nothing at all after they buy the team. They may do an assessment first, but I think jobs are on the line if Lions do finish 2 and 16 or 3 and 15..
Last edited by JohnnyMusso on Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I think Dickenson is unlikely to leave Calgary for other points in the CFL. However given his age I think he is on the NFL radar in some capacity. I can see better chances of him heading south before moving north, east or west.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
BC 1988
Legend

I would agree that it's unlikely anything will happen until seasons end. (Both in ownership and coaching). The salary cap on coaches makes that unlikely (except for maybe shuffling).

Right now, I'm a bemused fan of the Lions (since 1988) and the Argos (since 1970) watching them both vying for a place in the record books (the wrong kind).

Reilly got a FB shoutout for 30,000 career yards passing and being 2nd in passing this season (largely due to so many starters being out due to injury.) The number of sacks allowed has to be approaching a record--both for the team and Reilly individually.