Braley Wants to Sell Lions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnnyMusso
Champion

LeLacheur was on TSN 1040 Tuesday afternoon and told Matthew Sekeres, host of Sekeres & Price, that Braley was ready to sell that team at the beginning of the year.

LeLacheur is searching for a buyer and says he wants to keep the process "under the radar."

CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie has been contracted regarding some of the potential ownership groups and the hope is the prospective buyers will own the Lions for a long time.

LeLacheur adds there is no timeline for a sale, but would like to get it done "the sooner the better."
JohnnyMusso
Champion

This is good news for the franchise, but not Ed Hervey. I feel new group will want their own people and Hervey's days are numbered. With Braley's health declining clearly he wants to unload the Lions before it is too late.

I think Lions could be sold by the end of the year and new owners will decide fate of Hervey & coaches.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Instead of selling at the peak of the market, Braley may be selling at the team’s lowest point since he bought the Lions but it’s definitely good news. Let’s hope the new owners can rejuvenate the franchise and bring another two decades of stability and success on and off the field
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Don't want to sound skeptical but haven't we heard this before ?
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Seems this time Braley is serious. His health is declining and maybe he finally realizes he better sell before it is too late.

If Rick L reports there have already been discussions with interested parties and Ambroise notified as well, seems the process has begun. Only concern is if the offers are not to Braley's liking will he change his mind?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

If there was a new ownership group around that made sense, I wonder if they would try to link a buy to getting the Grey Cup game in BC Place to make some fairly quick cash?

Here some of Rick L on TSN today. Not the best marketer of the product unlike a Wally Buono who actually could inspire listeners.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:09 pm
Seems this time Braley is serious. His health is declining and maybe he finally realizes he better sell before it is too late.

If Rick L reports there have already been discussions with interested parties and Ambroise notified as well, seems the process has begun. Only concern is if the offers are not to Braley's liking will he change his mind?
For all the talk there has been in the past I don't think he was ever truly interested in selling. I think he just did what any normal businessman would do and showed those inquiring the respect of listening to their pitch. It would've taken an offer that would truly knock his socks off and even then I doubt he'd sell. The only time I ever thought he might sell was when he bought the Argos. I thought then he might sell BC and keep the team that was in his back yard.

Fast forward to 2019 and I think for the first time since buying the Lions he is finally motivated to sell thanks to two serious health issues in the past 2 years. He is facing his own mortality and has no family members interested in the club as an inheritance. I think he wants to be sure it's handed off to someone(s) with the same passion for the CFL and the Lions and has the financial wherewithal to accept the challenges and carry on with ownership through thick and thin for many years. While he won't give the team away price will be less of a factor that those two priorities. Part of being at peace with himself will be knowing the club is in good hands as opposed to being disposed of as part of an estate sale.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:26 pm
If there was a new ownership group around that made sense, I wonder if they would try to link a buy to getting the Grey Cup game in BC Place to make some fairly quick cash?

Here some of Rick L on TSN today. Not the best marketer of the product unlike a Wally Buono who actually could inspire listeners.
With the next 3 Grey Cups already handed out BC would be in line for another one in either 2022 or 2023 anyways. All teams except for Montreal will have hosted since Vancouver hosted in 2014. Also Grey Cups aren't as lucrative as they once were because the league has a different business model where all teams get a piece of the action although I think the host gets the biggest share still.
David
Team Captain

LeLacheur was on Sportsnet 650 radio this morning.

* There are about 6 different parties he's talked/talking to.

* "The majority" are local; the rest have ties to the Lower Mainland.

* Claims it's all confidential. Parties have signed non-disclosure agreements (not sure why Woodall has come forward if that's the case). Would neither confirm nor deny Aquilinis are part of discussions.

* No timeline set but I have to believe it will be some time in the off-season when this will get consummated.

* Number one criteria is whether they have the wherewithal to keep this franchise in this community for many years to come.

* Rick believes that group ownerships can work. He experienced it in Edmonton with the Oilers. In some ways, it is better in that you have so many advocates for your club in the business community.

After years of having our chains yanked, I really believe this is really going through this time. I don't think Mr. Braley wants his family saddled with this when he goes and unfortunately, his health is a real concern right now (that is my opinion).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Tom Mayenknecht on TSN 1040 had a show not long ago where he was stating a case for the major pro teams in this market to consolidate a number of common business functions while retaining their soccer, hockey and football expertise separately.

He's a shrewd dude it seems and while it might be a challenge to do unless there was common owner such as the Canucks owner, there is a lot of logic in consolidating marketing, ticketing, etc.

As with any business decision you have to see the business case and the hard numbers as maybe when you get into it, there's not enough depth and cost in the Lions and Caps to pull something like that off.

New ownership might be helpful but unless they bring something more to the table than just new faces, it might not affect the quality of the team, etc.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Wasn't aware that the a potential buyer group had gone public with their interest and approach until David mentioned it above - so I looked it up and there's a good story in The Province for those - like me - who missed this.

https://theprovince.com/sports/football ... nt-to-sell

A group fronted by Woodall and Moray Keith, both longtime Lions supporters, will form a consortium of local business people similar to the group that bought the Edmonton Oilers in the late 1990s. In the Woodall-Keith plan, 100 shares will be sold at $200,000 a pop, raising $20 million. Eight to 10 million of that will go toward buying the Lions from current owner David Braley. The remaining $10 million or so will be plowed into the team’s operation.
This group's view of the franchise value continues to be vastly different from the numbers Braley used to toss around regarding his range of interest to sale within.

The idea of 100 shares at $200,000 each sounds feasible and would enable those who wanted to control the team to be able to get into for a reasonable amount - as clearly a core group has to have control.

Had to look up the Edmonton model. Interesting history that lasted from mid 90s until bought out in 2007.
The Edmonton Investors Group Limited Partnership (EIGLP) was the limited partnership that owned the Edmonton Oilers of the National Hockey League and the Edmonton Oil Kings of the Western Hockey League. With more than thirty individual shareholders, EIGLP was the largest ownership group in the NHL. Among the four North American major sports leagues, only the Green Bay Packers have a larger ownership group.[citation needed]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonton_Investors_Group
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Mayenecht's concept is not unusual now as there are several sports companies who own multiple teams for the obvious synergies and efficiencies. There's of course MLSE who owns the Leafs, Raptors, TFC, TFC II, Argos, Marlies and Scotiabank Arena. Calgary Sports & Entertainment owns the Flames, Stamps, Hitmen, Roughnecks, AHL Stockton Heat and manages the Saddledome. Acquilini is starting a bit down that road having added the NLL Warriors to his group which makes sense given he also owns Rogers Arena. Another team equals more events and revenue in his arena. IMO the only way the idea of MLSE or CSE could work in Vancouver is if Acquilini bought the Lions and Whitecaps. Not sure if that would make any financial sense unless he also managed to broker a deal to take over management of BC Place.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David Braley is back at work and spoke to Rick Dhaliwal of Sportsnet 650 about plans to sell the Lions and the fate of Ed Hervey and DeVone Claybrooks.
Rick Dhaliwal
@DhaliwalSports

After some health issues David Braley is back to work this week, I talked to the 78 year old B.C Lions owner about his team and the sale of the club.
Rick Dhaliwal
@DhaliwalSports

Braley on those calling for the coach and gm to be fired : "I hear the talk but I will do the proper evaluation and deal with it appropriately. The middle of the season is not the time to make major changes."
Rick Dhaliwal
@DhaliwalSports

Braley on the sale of the team : "I have been trying to sell the team. I do have interest in Vancouver but stronger interest from outside of Vancouver."
JohnnyMusso
Champion

No vote of confidence for Hervey and Claybrooks, so seems final 8 games could decide their fate. No changes now, but end of season could happen.

Seems if Lions sold could be from owners who do not live in BC. Probably they willing to offer more money.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:37 am
No vote of confidence for Hervey and Claybrooks, so seems final 8 games could decide their fate. No changes now, but end of season could happen.

Seems if Lions sold could be from owners who do not live in BC. Probably they willing to offer more money.
Based on LeLacheur's comments last week there were groups from outside Vancouver who had interest but those groups either had deep connections or roots in Vancouver.