Former Lions playing for other teams

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Figaro
Rookie

I took a look at some of the recent Lions playing for other teams. I tried to look at players who were with us last year or 2018. I didn't include Andrew Harris or Adam Bighill who were either way too expensive or more than three years from the team. I may have made a few boo-boos on the list as far as how long the player has been away etc. Wow, what a defensive backfield! I have listed them by team. Are there any here that we "gave" away that we should have kept. For example, I say we should have never parted ways with JJ24, Fenner, Rose, Lokombo, Awe, Rainey and Purifoy. Talk about "the core." My point is, I believe we gave away so much more than we got in return. Would our team play better with Fenner, Rose, Purifoy, TJ Lee and Orange as our defensive backfield? Or Lokombo, Elimimian and Awe as our linebacking crew. Would our running game be more dangerous with Rainey and Johnson?

Chandler Fenner DB
Began and finished 2017 as a regular in the Lions defence, finishing second on the team in defensive plays (124) and tackles (76), including one quarterback sack, 10 pressures, one interception, seven knockdowns, one fumble recovery and one tackle for a loss. Led the Lions and tied for second in the CFL with 27 tackles on special teams.

Anthony Gaitor DB
Played in and started 12 games in 2017 for the Lions… Finished the year with 38 tackles, a forced fumble, interception, fumble recovery, tackle for loss and five pass knockdowns.

Craig Roh DL
Roh proved to be a reliable and durable addition for the Bombers, suiting up for all 18 games in his first season in Winnipeg while leading the club with eight quarterback sacks. Roh finished the year with 30 defensive tackles, adding two pass knockdowns, two tackles for a loss while recovering one fumble. In 62 CFL games spread out over three seasons with the Bombers and B.C. Lions Roh, nicknamed ‘Death Roh’, has registered 28 sacks.

Winston Rose DB
Rose dressed for all 18-regular season and the East Division Semi-Final for the B.C. Lions in 2018, starting 18 of those 19 contests at cornerback. The 2018 campaign was his best as a professional, as he tied for the team lead with five interceptions while adding 32 defensive tackles, four pass knockdowns, two tackles for a loss and eight special-teams tackles.

Vernon Adams QB

Jeremiah Johnson RB
Jeremiah appeared in 13 games for the Lions, making 12 starts at tail back for the Lions. The former Oregon Duck was productive on the ground for the Leos, running for 633 yards on 120 carries with five touchdowns. He added 40 receptions for 308 yards to his impressive stat line. Jeremiah also returned six kickoffs for 132 yards. He served as the backup running back in the East Division Semi-Final against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, toting the rock one time for 17 yards and running back six kickoffs for 151 yards.

Bo Lokombo LB
Bo returned to the Lions after a one-year hiatus and he proceeded to have his best season to date in Black and Orange. The uber-athletic linebacker appeared in 18 regular season games, starting nine at outside linebacker. Bo posted a career-high 71 defensive tackles, 16 special teams tackles, four sacks, two interceptions and one forced fumble. He started at outside linebacker for the Leos in the East Division Semi-Final against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, recording two defensive tackles and a pair of special teams stops.

Cauchy Muamba DB

Devier Posey WR

He caught 29 passes for 395 yards and three touchdowns in just eight games with the British Columbia Lions last season. The 28-year-old receiver joined the Lions last season, after taking part in the Baltimore Ravens training camp. The former Ohio State University Buckeye had previously played for two seasons with the Toronto Argonauts, with whom he was named Grey Cup’s Most Outstanding Player

Micah Awe LB
Played 18 games with B.C. Recorded 54 defensive tackles, 16 special teams tackles and forced a fumble. Had consecutive nine-tackle games against Hamilton and Ottawa.

Chris Rainey RB/ST
Played in 14 games with the B.C. Lions. Caught 28 passes for 234 yards. Carried the ball 52 times for 218 yards. Second in the CFL with a kickoff return average of 25.7 yards, returning one for a TD against Edmonton on October 19th.  Averaged 10.5 yards per punt return, scoring one touchdown, also against Edmonton on August 9th. Returned one missed field goal 62 yards against Hamilton. Named a West Division All-Star for the second time.

Jonathon Jennings QB
Jon was active for all 18 regular season games for the Lions in 2018, appearing in 10 and starting six games at quarterback. He completed 161 of 239 passing attempts for 1,628 yards and eight touchdowns to go along with 226 rushing yards.

Richie Leone K
Another spectacular season as the CFL’s top punter, Richie was a dominant force for the club’s special teams unit. Leading the CFL in both punting average (49.3 yards) and net punting (36.9), he was an easy choice as the West Division and CFL’s top punter for a second year.

Manny Arceneaux
Enough said

Mike Edem DB

Dyshawn Davis LB
Played 17 regular-season games for the B.C. Lions…collected 22 special-teams tackles, 13 defensive tackles, two fumble recoveries and one forced fumble.

Sol Elimimian LB
Enough said.

Cody Fajardo QB

Loucheiz Purifoy DB
Started 10 regular-season games and the Western Semi-Final after signing with the Riders in August…registered 27 defensive tackles, four special-teams tackles and three interceptions for 55 return yards…added nine kickoff returns for 312 yards…had three defensive tackles and five kickoff returns for 181 yards in the playoffs

Ricky Collins WR
In nine games (nine starts), Collins has 48 receptions for 741 yards and three touchdowns. He currently has three 100-yard receiving games and leads the CFL in receiving yards. Collins was named a CFL Player of the Week in Week 2.

Anthony Orange DB
Orange appeared in 18 games for the Lions where he recorded 54 tackles and five interceptions – one for a touchdown. In the East Semi-Final, he recorded three tackles and he was named a West Division and CFL All-Star.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

If some of those listed are still here, we wouldn't be in the predicament that we're in now.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Does anyone know how Ty Long is doing in his audition ?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:33 pm
Reporters covering the L.A. Chargers say Long is expected to win the punting job.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:
Long has 5 punts for 48.6 average and 42.4 net. 3 of 5 went inside the 20. Of the five 1 went for a touchback, 1 was returned for 11 yards, 2 were fair caught and the 5th was a 56 yarder that went out at the NO 7 last night. He's also chipped in a couple of kickoffs getting the call to kickoff to start the 2nd half of both games. Incumbent Badgley has handled to rest of the kickoffs.

His competition Notre Dame product rookie Tyler Newsome has 6 punts for 43.0 average and 34.0 net. None went inside the 20 although in fairness last night the two kicks I saw were from deeper in his own end than Long's field position. All 6 of Newsome's kicks have been returned.

Right now the Charger depth chart may provide the most telling tale. It shows Long as 1st unit punter and holder with Newsome being 2nd unit on both. It also lists Long as 2nd unit placekicker behind incumbent Michael Badgley. Given Long is putting up the better punting numbers, appears to be a capable holder and can also handle placekicking chores if called upon I'd say he's already locked the job up.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:55 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
Long has 5 punts for 48.6 average and 42.4 net. 3 of 5 went inside the 20. Of the five 1 went for a touchback, 1 was returned for 11 yards, 2 were fair caught and the 5th was a 56 yarder that went out at the NO 7 last night. He's also chipped in a couple of kickoffs getting the call to kickoff to start the 2nd half of both games. Incumbent Badgley has handled to rest of the kickoffs.

His competition Notre Dame product rookie Tyler Newsome has 6 punts for 43.0 average and 34.0 net. None went inside the 20 although in fairness last night the two kicks I saw were from deeper in his own end than Long's field position. All 6 of Newsome's kicks have been returned.

Right now the Charger depth chart may provide the most telling tale. It shows Long as 1st unit punter and holder with Newsome being 2nd unit on both. It also lists Long as 2nd unit placekicker behind incumbent Michael Badgley. Given Long is putting up the better punting numbers, appears to be a capable holder and can also handle placekicking chores if called upon I'd say he's already locked the job up.
Very nice report, Hambone. One thing that I thought odd was having Long as FG holder as well as back up FG kicker because if the FG kicker can't go, then it means both the backup FG kicker AND backup holder go in....OK its just me being a nit picker.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I want a FG holder to be a player who can make a play if the snap is bad and who might just run the ball or pass on a fake as clearly the likes of Lui Passaglia don't seem to be among the kickers these days.

Great update.

I can't recall all the reasons these guys are all gone but that's a lot of gone players.

Some will be more successful with new team mates around them and how other teams play.

Some do better as coaching is different.

It's pretty clear in BC that too many were let go and that's pretty much all on the GM as I suspect the new HC just trusted him to make the right decisions.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

And yet nobody in Edmonton is watching the Lions and thinking "wow, all those ex-Eskimos are playing great for BC".

Fenner had another outstanding game for Winnipeg.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Add Edmonton DB Josh Johnson to that list too. Suitor mentioned last night he would be one of his all-star selections for this season.
So many of those guys were the Lions US recruits under the Wally regime and that's what has been missing the past couple of seasons.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:09 am

Very nice report, Hambone. One thing that I thought odd was having Long as FG holder as well as back up FG kicker because if the FG kicker can't go, then it means both the backup FG kicker AND backup holder go in....OK its just me being a nit picker.
They would still have somebody else getting reps to be emergency holder to get through a game but might not have an emergency placekicker outside of the punter. Most NFL teams use their punter as their holder which makes total sense. Big part of the reasoning may be as simple as being able to send the placekicker, punter and longsnapper off by themselves to practice while the offense can carry on practicing without needing to pull a backup QB to head off to practice holding.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.