NFL Cuts

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnnyMusso
Champion

First ex CFLer has been cut. Likely go back to Toronto unless BC has interest or another team:

The New England Patriots have released wide receiver Dontrelle Inman after the former CFLer requested the Patriots let him go, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him catch on elsewhere down there. Might not be a coincidence that Inman asked for his release right after Josh Gordon was reinstated. That would knock Inman a notch down the Pats' depth chart.

Time flies though. Hard to believe it's been 6 years since Inman left the Argos for the NFL.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Looks like Inman is not looking north for now. He's reportedly visiting with the New York Jets today after having spent yesterday with the Detroit Lions.

https://www.tsn.ca/report-ex-cfl-wr-inm ... -1.1353426
The_Pauser
Legend

Alex Singleton and Merken Michel both cut today. Shocking that Singleton didn’t make the roster. I expect he’ll catch on elsewhere, though if he comes back to the CFL, Hervey better be willing to back up the money truck onto his front lawn. Cut Chungh and Konar to make space.
Roar you Lions roar!
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The_Pauser wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:48 pm
Alex Singleton and Merken Michel both cut today. Shocking that Singleton didn’t make the roster. I expect he’ll catch on elsewhere, though if he comes back to the CFL, Hervey better be willing to back up the money truck onto his front lawn. Cut Chungh and Konar to make space.
After he essentially passed on Awe, Lokumbo, Solly, I have lost confidence in Ed's player assessment abilities, especially at LB. So he may not even be interested in Singleton if he becomes available and Singleton may not be interested in the lowly Lions.
David
Team Captain

Singleton's heart is in Calgary. If he ever makes his way north (doubt it), it will be back with the Stamps.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:48 pm
Shocking that Singleton didn’t make the roster.
Apparently the Eagles operate a different style of defense. In ESPN's article projecting the 53s today they didn't list Singleton as making it. Another article I saw a couple days ago speculated he would lose out in a numbers game. In the ESPN article today they projected the Eagles keeping 10 DL, 9 DBs but only 5 LBs despite acknowledging 2 of the 5 listed are hobbling. They also mentioned Philly usually goes with 2 LBs on the field. He may have signed with a team whose schemes made it a bigger challenge to stick than most teams. He racked up enough numbers in preseason however that he is probably on the radar of a few teams.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Alex S led the Eagles in tackles first 2 preseason games. I never followed his progress last 2 games, but seems he played better than guys who made the cut. That is the problem with NFL. They gives spots to draft picks and vets even if they underperform than CFL guys. To me bit unfair. Hopes Alex catches on with another team who will reward him for his hard work and the talent. Seems he never had a chance with the Eagles.

Same long time ago with Doug Flutie who had a great year with the Bills and was replaced by Rob Johnson I think his name was for he was bigger and like a typical NFL QB at the time, but was not as good as Flutie and flopped big time. NFL is very bias and still is towards some players. Alex S deserved to make the team.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Duke Williams cut by Bills today. I would love to see him sign with the Lions, but that is unlikely to happen. He will want big money to sign up here and Lions would have to cut Carter and another player to make room for him and BC not attractive place to come for Lions not making the playoffs. I think if he come back to the CFL Eskimos will resign him.

I expect some NFL cuts to come to Lions, but they most likely will be all rookies hoping to make team next year.
Dusty
Champion

Even if a player is cut on Friday, the "24" hour waiver period expires at 2pm eastern time on Sunday. After then, players can be put on the practice roster. I expect that players like Williams and Singleton will end up on their current NFL teams practice roster based on their solid pre-season play, assuming that they clear waivers on Sunday.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Not surprised by the cuts of CFLers as that is how the NFL works.

If they draft and love a player then that guy will stay over others like someone from the CFL. It doesn't so well if the guy who is love with the player gets fired though.

Surprised by the comments from Hambone that Alex S signed with a team where the schemes don't work for his type of play.

As Dusty notes these guys can still make PRs by tomorrow.

Singleton would go back to Calgary if he comes to the CFL.

Duke Williams is familiar with Esks - so why wouldn't he go back there if no NFL route or PR offer comes his way.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:08 pm
Alex S led the Eagles in tackles first 2 preseason games. I never followed his progress last 2 games, but seems he played better than guys who made the cut. That is the problem with NFL. They gives spots to draft picks and vets even if they underperform than CFL guys. To me bit unfair. Hopes Alex catches on with another team who will reward him for his hard work and the talent. Seems he never had a chance with the Eagles.

Singleton had 8 solo tackles and 7 assists Thursday night. 2 of the solo tackles and 1 assist were on special teams. According to the NFL Gamebook on the game he started at one OLB spot. To follow up on the ESPN comment re: Eagles frequently having only 2 LB on the field they did list 3 on the starting roster. However the Gamebook showed only 1 other LB getting any playing time. After yesterday's cuts they are down to 6 LB on the roster. Chris Worley who started at the other OLB spot Thursday and Hugh Pullard who was the one who came in off the bench were also let go. Rookie TJ Edwards out of Wisconsin was the only LB who played the other night who remains with the team. He's also the only rookie LB to stick. The rest are veterans of 3 to 8 years.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The problem withr NFL preseason stats is that vets don’t play much. Preseason game rosters are filled with rookies playing against rookies, few of whom will be around when the regular season starts. CFL vets who try to crack NFL rosters may put up stats against NFL rookies but they are often just camp bodies who are given playing time so that starters don’t have to risk injury.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Duke Williams have accepted a practice roster with the Buffalo Bills; Alex Singleton the same with Philadelphia Eagles.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:06 am
Not surprised by the cuts of CFLers as that is how the NFL works.

If they draft and love a player then that guy will stay over others like someone from the CFL. It doesn't so well if the guy who is love with the player gets fired though.

Surprised by the comments from Hambone that Alex S signed with a team where the schemes don't work for his type of play.
The thing with CFL signees is that most ink their NFL deals in January or February, well before NFL Free Agency and NFL Draft take place. Those are two very fluid entities. A team never knows how or if they will fill needs there until they are over. For the CFL player what could appear to be a good situation when they sign can be anything but once the offseason dust settles.

In the case of the Eagles this year they had a very thin draft board with only 5 picks. They didn't take any LBs. They took only 1 defensive player, edge rusher Shareef Miller in the 4th. However they did sign 4 veteran LBs in free agency well after signing Singleton. Two of them, Zach Brown and L.J. Fort, made the team. Brown is listed on the Eagles website at one starting OLB spot while Fort is listed as Brown's backup.