At Season's End what should happen?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

At Season's End, What Should Happen?

1) Fire Ed Hervey & New GM decides fate of coaches
63%
2) Fire Devone Claybrooks & his staff
6%
3) Clean House and Fire Hervey and all the coaches
13%
4) Fire some or all of the assistant coaches only & renew Ed Hervey for 1 or 2 more years
6%
5) Stay Status Quo and Fire No One and renew Ed Hervey for 2 more years to fix the problems
13%

Total votes: 16
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I choose option 1.

Ed Hervey in my view created this mess. The team is an embarrassment and may finish 1 and 17. He does not deserve a new contract in my view and I would fire him at the end of the year or before final game. If not next year will be more of the same. Let new GM decide fate of the coaches.

You can change your vote later in the season as we see how the season progresses and what changes are made.
RoDun
prospect

Hervey built much of this team, he has to be the fall guy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

RoDun wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:05 am
Hervey built much of this team, he has to be the fall guy
Agree
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

If Braley still owns the team, I think it's Ed stays and fixes it .

What would have been good would have been for Wally to be the President.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Lui05
Rookie

Toppy Vann wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:51 am
If Braley still owns the team, I think it's Ed stays and fixes it .

I voted #1 as I think that is the best recipe for future success. Unfortunately, I think you're right Toppy - what will happen is Hervey stays and continues to flail.
I went to a restaurant that serves "breakfast at any time". So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance.

Steven Wright
David
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:51 am
Marco Iannuzzi has gone on record as saying he would like to be Team Prez. He has the smarts and charisma to be a good one. He's a former player who knows the team, he's passionate about the team and this city, he's community-minded, has made a ton of connections since he's been here and, as a financial consultant, knows his way around a balance sheet.

I just don't think he will ever get there with Braley as owner.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
cromartie
Hall of Famer

This isn't hard.

Unless this team somehow manages to pull out at least five wins, you have to fire everyone.

This is a complete and total PR disaster in a casual fan market. This isn't the prairies where the team is the identity of the community and people will fork over season ticket money anyway.

You will not convince a significant paying portion of the fanbase ( a population that is dwindling before our eyes) to re-up if you keep either the front office or the coaching staff around, no matter how good the marketing staff is (and they are terrific).

For the betterment of the business you need the Team President to step up and show everyone the door.*

*I say this hoping this team goes 8-1 in their last nine and none of this is necessary.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The season is half over. A lot can happen yet. Hervey is on thin ice with his expiring contract but I can’t predict what the next nine games will bring.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

The person who chose the last option I would be curious why you think Lions should fire no one, not even Taylor A, their special teams coach or Bryan Chiu, their OL coach. I think at the very least 1 or more coaches will take the fall if Lions do continue on this losing path till the end. If Lions do give up a record number of sacks, say over 70, how can you bring back Bryan Chiu? Cannot just blame the players. Same goes for Taylor A, if Lions continue to be terrible on special teams.

And arguments for Stubler and Jarious Jackson losing their jobs as well can be made.

If Lions can turn it around, then maybe you have a point, but if they finish as bad as many think they will, then changes will be made. Just how deep no one knows.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:23 pm
The season is half over. A lot can happen yet. Hervey is on thin ice with his expiring contract but I can’t predict what the next nine games will bring.
This poll is never ending and there is an option to change your vote. Poll based on the assumption that the second half of the season will be much like the first and Lions finish with 4 wins or less.

From what I have seen I just cannot see a miracle turnaround or even them going 4 and 5 in next 9. Maybe 50/50 at best them beating Hamilton, will not win in Montreal for Als tough at home and playing well now. Ottawa is bad too, so have a chance there. But will not beat any West team fighting for home playoffs spots.

The next game will tell us more of the character of this team. This is a winnable game at home, but last 2 games at home have been blowouts and this team is fragile. Few breaks go against them they may fold. Even with a bit of win streak, they need more experience on the coaching staff. at the very least.

Benning got renewed recently in his final year, but so far Hervey no. Could be owner and president are seeing how final 9 games and 6 at home play out.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Technically the only coaches they would have to fire after the season are those still under contract for 2020. Typically positional coaches are on 1 year deals. It's common for them to move on either because they want to to advance their own careers or the HC wants to bring in a fresh face. Coordinators and HCs are the only ones who are on multi year deals and it is believed Jackson along with Hervey would be on expiring deals.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Does anyone know then if Rich Stubler is on a 2 year deal or just 1 considering his age? I know many on here would not be happy if he is on a 2 year deal and would be back likely for a 2nd year if he signed 2 year deal. But considering his age maybe he just agreed to sign on for 1 year to help Claybrooks in his first year, then decide if he wants to come back or retire.

As far as I know Jackson is on an expiring deal and Hervey too.. Claybrooks 3 years and the rest maybe just 1 year.

By fire I mean not renew their contracts, which is basically the same thing as being fired. Those signed on for next year likely will be back due to the coaching cap in place,
Reggiemac
Rookie

If stubleri is let go he will be the fall guy to protect coach Clay. Hervey knew the defence wouldbeavproblem wheherefused to sign lemon at th start and get acouple of decent D linemen. Stubler was given his team and to make it work somehow. Hes not a magician andto have to teach tacklig to a professional player is not a winning task. He was doomed to fail and its on Hervey
pennw
Legend

Reggiemac wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:48 pm
If stubleri is let go he will be the fall guy to protect coach Clay. Hervey knew the defence wouldbeavproblem wheherefused to sign lemon at th start and get acouple of decent D linemen. Stubler was given his team and to make it work somehow. Hes not a magician andto have to teach tacklig to a professional player is not a winning task. He was doomed to fail and its on Hervey
Stubler is well past his best before date and would have had a losing defense regardless , just like in 2013 when he had a near all-star cast . You are right though , he's no magician . Will be happy to see him canned one more time .
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Reggiemac wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:48 pm
Oh if life was so easy and GMs could just go out and sign everybody and anybody for whatever it takes to land them and still be cap compliant. When you make a determination you want to address the QB situation and bolster the OL with another big $ ticket then decisions have to be made on who to keep and who from last year is no longer affordable. Signing Lemon would mean jettisoning somebody else. Given he recorded 10 sacks in only 13 games with BC he was probably asking for money that would make him BC's highest paid DL. Instead they opted to keep the other 3/4 of the DL starting group in Coleman, Willis and Louis. Personally I would have been happy had they kept Lemon and dumped Willis but I suspect Odell vs Lemon = cap savings. IMO it wasn't that Hervey refused to sign Lemon. He just couldn't afford to without cutting salary elsewhere. Maybe Coleman. Maybe Burnham. Maybe TJ Lee.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.