Argos Shopping James Wilder. Do you think Hervey is Interested

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnnyMusso
Champion

The Toronto Argos have made running back James Wilder Jr. available on the trade market, per sources.

Wilder Jr. was a healthy scratch for the Argonauts Week 10 game against Edmonton. Toronto wants to keep Wilder Jr. from being injured prior to any potential deal. The Argonauts signed Wilder Jr. to a two-year extension through the 2019 season in March 2018.

Lions have no cap space so I say no unless they send back 1 or 2 players with salary to fit him in.

I say Lions do not trade for him and no team does and he ends up being cut.
VictoriaFan
Starter

I'm not sure the backs are the issue as much as the play calling to get them involved
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I think Lions are probably happy with White though Wilder may be an upgrade. Wilder's issue is his attitude and thinks Argos have had enough.

Ottawa has the cap space, but would they be willing to trade for him and his ego.
Bosco
Team Captain

Although Wilder is a fine player, he is far from what the Lions need at this time. White, Rutley and Moore are more than capable running backs.

Lions greatest need right now is on defense. Oh, to have a Willy Jefferson or Charleston Hughes type of player (*sigh*)
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

That would be like you're having a problem with your washing machine so you go out and buy a new couch to fix it.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:13 pm
That would be like you're having a problem with your washing machine so you go out and buy a new couch to fix it.
yup, better to let your old couch fix it
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Edmonton needs to sign him before we are interested.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lion Guy wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:47 pm
Edmonton needs to sign him before we are interested.
Then Hervey will surrender our #1 pick to the Esks for Wilder
seamack3
prospect

The last thing this dysfunctional team needs is a cancer like Wilder... neither does any other CFL team.
David
Team Captain

Yup. Not quite sure why this thread was even created. Whyte, Rutley, Moore, and Mackie are the least of our problems. Whyte occasionally has some trouble picking up his block, but there is no need for a plodding, underachieving back when our glaring weaknesses obviously reside on both sides of the line of scrimmage.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Wilder is another talent that has not been in the right situation to showcase his skills in Toronto but this story on TSN that he refused to work on STs for last night's game is a shocker.

Carter plays on kick return and he does this willingly - saw it in practice - where he was on the flank on the LOS running a PR newbie downfield leading to the young player coming to him after asking for advice. Heard the conversation where Carter demo'd how he was using his shoulder to turn the guy running downfield and how he needed to use his body to make sure he wasn't turned.

So those who think Carter's a cancer ( even after a 56 yard pass that was pretty much the best play of night ) won't like Wilder lol

Now Wilder might have pulled this trick to get himself traded and that's been done before.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
pennw
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:17 am
Wilder is another talent that has not been in the right situation to showcase his skills in Toronto but this story on TSN that he refused to work on STs for last night's game is a shocker.

Carter plays on kick return and he does this willingly - saw it in practice - where he was on the flank on the LOS running a PR newbie downfield leading to the young player coming to him after asking for advice. Heard the conversation where Carter demo'd how he was using his shoulder to turn the guy running downfield and how he needed to use his body to make sure he wasn't turned.

So those who think Carter's a cancer ( even after a 56 yard pass that was pretty much the best play of night ) won't like Wilder lol

Now Wilder might have pulled this trick to get himself traded and that's been done before.
I agree Carter is not our problem . Every time I've seen him interview he has displayed a very good attitude . No doubt he has not lit it up any game , but maybe it's the way he has been used . Most targets he has not made the catch on looked like impossible catches when you see the replays . Many of them sideline passes that are too high , where even if he caught it he would have had to have gone way out of bounds to catch it . The catch he made , I think it was in the Hamilton game , was a one hander behind him did display the talent he actually has. Perhaps if he was used differently he would have more catches. He does however draw his fair share of coverage which helps others like Burnham and Durant have less.
On Wilder , we don't need him . John White and Rutley are very productive runners already . What I don't get is why we cut Tyrel Sutton from last season after making a trade to get him . He played extremely well while he was here , both running and pass blocking . Just like Lemon , trade for him , then cut him and trade again to get him back.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

With a season lost, I posted the topic just to see what others thought. There is not much to cheer about now and the future is uncertain for no one except Braley knows who will guide this team next year.

As for Wilder, seems Lions and maybe no other team will be interested in him. One great year and then it is over likely for him. Probably go to the XFL.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:40 am
With a season lost, I posted the topic just to see what others thought. There is not much to cheer about now and the future is uncertain for no one except Braley knows who will guide this team next year.

As for Wilder, seems Lions and maybe no other team will be interested in him. One great year and then it is over likely for him. Probably go to the XFL.
I'd be surprised if another team might not grab Wilder (not sure off the top of my head) as in the right situation/offense he'd be productive but given how he has been used/misused back to Trestman days he might best elsewhere.

Having said that - it won't be a blockbuster trade if he is traded.....

If cut, maybe Hervey would give him a look - not that the Lions have that as their critical need.

I'm blown about by the anti-Carter sentiments when it's patently clear to me from seeing the practices that he's not open by the design and schemes. Carter didn't become a bad receiver nor did Derel Walker or SJ Green or others who don't get the ball to them.

When I ask people why the carter hate they say it's based solely on the media talk. Watch the Lions schemes and the deep REC told not to turn to the ball early but Reilly is getting sacked.

Maybe move Carter to the slot....
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Reggiemac
Rookie

It would be a dumb move so yes, Hervey would be intetested.