If Hervey Decides To Fire Someone Now, Who will it Be?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

If Hervey Fires a Coach Now, Who Will it Be?

Taylor Altilio
100%
Rich Stubler
No votes
Bryan Chiu
No votes
Jarious Jackson
No votes
Devone Claybrooks
No votes
Chris Ellis
No votes
Ryan Phillips
No votes
Keith Stokes
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 7
JohnnyMusso
Champion

On the radio post game show, Farhan and Chris Burns both suggested it is not a good coaching staff and it is time for Hervey to knock on someone's office door and fire them. But with the coaching cap in place, there are limited now what they can do. So if only 1 guy has to go who will it be.

It will not be Claybrooks. He has a 3 year contract and no way Braley will agree to eat that contract and pay him for another 2 years to not coach.

The obvious choice to me is the special teams coach Taylor Altilio. Special teams are killing them game after game and yesterday they were especially bad. This guy needs to go ASAP.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:49 am
On the radio post game show, Farhan and Chris Burns both suggested it is not a good coaching staff and it is time for Hervey to knock on someone's office door and fire them. But with the coaching cap in place, there are limited now what they can do. So if only 1 guy has to go who will it be.

It will not be Claybrooks. He has a 3 year contract and no way Braley will agree to eat that contract and pay him for another 2 years to not coach.

The obvious choice to me is the special teams coach Taylor Altilio. Special teams are killing them game after game and yesterday they were especially bad. This guy needs to go ASAP.
Yes, obvious choice is ST coach as ST kick coverage is brutal and the opening game decision to chip it (not for an onside recovery) to avoid a long return set a brutal tone and the DEF then reacted with a couple of penalties as the Bombers were at their own 44 yard line to start and ergo a TD results.

Braley is a businessman who doesn't believe in wasting money and who knows from experience that firings for the sake of doing it don't lead to the best results as its can lead to longer term instability especially mid-season.

The GM doesn't want to undermine his HC so my advice for the HC is:

1. Do one-on-ones with each coach privately to determine where they believe things can be fixed or changed.

2. One on ones with a few senior players like the QBs and OL and REC - to gauge their views.

3. Assess your staff and determine if you need to RE-ALIGN COACHING RESPONSIBILITIES - ie. more input from OFF coaches on schemes and play calls. This has to be a MY WAY or the HIGHWAY type of conversation and if it leads to the OC quitting mid year so be it. Things have to change.

3. Review what you believe the role of the HC is and make changes accordingly.
Some caution here in that players seem to be uptight on the DEF and fear being out of position more than responding to the play in front of them.

It may be that this HC's philosophy doesn't fit a situation like this versus had he stepped up took over with the Stamps if say Dave D promoted to GM.

I'm still not clear if DC as a HC has a correct view of the role here but there are personnel issues more than coaching issues.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The play of the Special Teams is even worse than when Chuck McMann was running the show. Obvious choice is Altilio. What Toppy is suggesting should have been done during the bye week.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

My feeling is it will not happen. Status quo with changing few players again. This team could end up 1 and 17. I would not even bet on them beating Argos , Als or Redblacks at home.

My feeling is Ed will call Wally for advice. If not he should. Problem is I think he has too big of an ego and just making minor changes each week is not working.