Lions at Winnipeg Aug. 15, 2019 - Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

On a short week when they practised in Hamilton after losing to the Ticats on Saturday, the 1-7 Lions return to the field Thursday night in Winnipeg (5:30 p.m. PT) to face the first-place Blue Bombers. Like Hamilton, Winnipeg is 6-2 overall and undefeated at home this year.

The Lions have made only two changes to the starting lineup, both on the defensive line. Newly acquired Shawn Lemon starts at defensive end opposite Odell Willis, reuniting the tandem that had a strong season together in 2018. Mackendy Cheridor gets his first start at defensive tackle in place of Davon Coleman, who was traded to Toronto for Lemon. Newly re-signed David Menard dresses as a backup defensive tackle in place of Edward Godin, who suffered a shoulder injury in Hamilton.

Mike Reilly, who twisted an ankle late in the Hamilton game, starts at QB, backed up as usual by Danny O'Brien.

Here's a link to a game preview and depth chart from Matt Baker at bclions.com:

GAME PREVIEW | LIONS AT BLUE BOMBERS
Lui05
Rookie

I didn't expect a win last week. I was right. I didn't expect the team to show any pride and compete either. I was wrong.

My hope for this week is a continuation of the inspired, passionate play from last week that results in another entertaining game.

As I think any playoff aspirations are slim and none, the actual outcome of the game doesn't matter to me. Just that the outcome remains unknown late into the contest.

Anything resembling last week's effort is a win to me.
I went to a restaurant that serves "breakfast at any time". So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance.

Steven Wright
JohnnyMusso
Champion

We can only hope Lions will be competitive again tomorrow. But last time they played a great game and lost it in final 3 minutes was against Calgary and then they turned in 2 stinkers in a row.

With this team you cannot predict how they will play except that likely they will find a way to lose it.

I cannot see the Bombers losing it for they already lost to the Argos and will not want to lose to Lions as well. Calgary is right on their tail and Bombers need these 2 games to stay ahead.
The_Pauser
Legend

When was the last time the Lions were legitimately out of it before Labour day? Off the top of my head I'm thinking it had to be that year we went with Andre Ware and Chris Vargas as our QB's.

All I'm looking for now is just some kind of effort. Some kind of promise. Guys going out there and showing they want jobs. Some kind of semblance of a future core.
Roar you Lions roar!
David
Team Captain

The way Reilly was hobbling off the field in Hamilton just four days ago, it makes you wonder how mobile he's going to be. Even with an upgraded O-line, is he going to be a sitting duck back there? Or aggravate the injury the first time he gets hit?

What's the over/under for seeing O'Brien in this game?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
squishy35
Legend

The Lions pretty much need to win 9 of 10 of the next game and hope that 1 or 2 teams ahead of them in the West have a big time losing streak, in order to have any chance of entertaining a playoff spot (cross over included).
JohnnyMusso
Champion

squishy35 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:01 am
The Lions pretty much need to win 9 of 10 of the next game and hope that 1 or 2 teams ahead of them in the West have a big time losing streak, in order to have any chance of entertaining a playoff spot (cross over included).

Not a chance. Looking ahead they may beat Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto, but even that is no guarantee.

I agree with one of the posters here, Reilly's ankle is likely sore and if his mobility is limited, he will be a sitting duck there and could reinjure the ankle. I doubt it has recovered in only 4 days. He may not last a half and if they continue to play him if he reinjures it that would be crazy. This game may be over by halftime.
squishy35
Legend

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:28 am
squishy35 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:01 am

Not a chance. Looking ahead they may beat Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto, but even that is no guarantee.

I agree with one of the posters here, Reilly's ankle is likely sore and if his mobility is limited, he will be a sitting duck there and could reinjure the ankle. I doubt it has recovered in only 4 days. He may not last a half and if they continue to play him if he reinjures it that would be crazy. This game may be over by halftime.

I agree... there will be no playoff game this season.
BC 1988
Legend

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1351174
It would be comical (if it wasn't so sad). Sekeres-Lalji asking poor old Reilly about his beard, then the low ankle sprain.
If he was playing for the Grey Cup, fine--you play. Putting him out there today with WPG defenders licking their chops at the injured prey. Not having a real backup you can rely on to start this game is pathetic.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I would be concerned of Reilly really injuring his ankle today. Problem is both Hervey and Claybrooks believe well at least stating publicly that Lions are not out of it and can still make the playoffs. Believing in that illusion could lead to him being seriously injured. I just cannot see him lasting the game without hobbling around and even then Claybrooks may leave him in there unless game way out of hand.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:43 am
I would be concerned of Reilly really injuring his ankle today. Problem is both Hervey and Claybrooks believe well at least stating publicly that Lions are not out of it and can still make the playoffs. Believing in that illusion could lead to him being seriously injured. I just cannot see him lasting the game without hobbling around and even then Claybrooks may leave him in there unless game way out of hand.
POSITIVES FOR TONIGHT

* If they can fix those lane coverage issues on kick coverage, it will help a lot.

* DEF improvements including someone coming up with a big play (unlike 32 letting a sure INT bounce off his chest last week). The amount of coaching on theDEF including that of the HC has to start paying dividends. The loss of Coleman might make others get more fired up as someone going always gets your attention.

* OFF play calling has to keep improving and ideally this OL group will improve off a decent performance last week.

Downside - heard Reilly with TSN and he sounds tentative still on going downfield more than a few times a game. Just his phrasing and tentativeness in his talk suggests he's pretty sack bitten. Spoke of not forcing balls to Carter but basically that is what he has had to do recently just to get him more involved in the game and at other times he's missed open RECs as he's going to the short REC'rs.

It's still a work in progress on OFF.

THIS SEASON COMES DOWN TO ED HERVEY KEY DECISIONS

1. Going with 1 QB and no future QB at a cost that leaves little for other key positions and of course likely spending big for the all star OLineman.

2. Not signing Sol E which I put solely on the GM as no HC would not want a player of that calibre irrespective of his prior injured season. Having money for Sol E would solidify that DEF with leadership.

3. Dumping ST players who cost $160K.

REILLY HURT - BUT HE WON'T SIT

Reilly is just that sort of player - he will go regardless and it's not like BC has the QB of the future waiting in the wings. The No. 3 doesn't even dress this year and I've always liked seeing teams use more than QB and keeping upcoming potential QBs fully engaged.

Heard that Sekeres - Reilly interview and it was not TSN's finest segment as the interviewers really have no interest in discussing the Lions or featuring more of their players versus the NFL stuff they are love in with.

GIVING UP ON THE SEASON

A coach never gives up regardless or it will destroy their team. There is always lots to play for.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Can't edit (and yes I know how to do it but I get full white page half the time just like I get when the first post on a thread happens so I have to wait for others to reply.)

Irony of all ironies here - I wanted to edit the post above but I couldn't but then I posted this comment without putting in my EDIT and I can edit this one. Weird.

CARTER:

Last game the coverage on him was outstanding and far closer than Burnham and no doubt HAM knew going into that game (as the BOMBERS know tonight) that they'd be looking to get mileage out of Carter.

ANDREW HARRIS:

Heard him on with Donny the other day on TSN.

Harris has become a very well spoken person and certainly a good interview as he's media savvy and friendly.

What blew me away was how he mentioned EVERY Canadian RB and realizing he missed a guy from Hamilton he added that name in while making the points that the CDN RB was back in the days of Cornish, Messam and himself.

Harris spoke of the bad times in BC when they turned it around.

He gets it that BC is a big risk if they take him too lightly.

Donny thought he'd been in the CFL 8 years - Harris said no - 10.
Donny brought up the comment that QB Nicholls said something like Andrew Harris is the best back ever to which Harris replied he had just heard that comment 10 or 15 min earlier.

Harris loves WPG - home and family/friends.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Kamloops Lion
All Star

I have no idea why the Lions have O'Brien as backup, other than the fact he is Reilly's concigliere. It is absolutely ridiculous there is no viable backup to either enter and do something or, more importantly, develop. Seriously maddening.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Nice try to catch the Bombers napping
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

2 BC penalties keep the Bombers' opening drive alive