BC Lions re-acquire Shawn Lemon for Davon Coleman

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

The_Pauser
Legend

Also gave up a conditional 8th round pick. I didn’t realize they weren’t happy with Coleman, but chances needed to be made on that awful D line.
Roar you Lions roar!
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Too little too late but at least Hervey has done something other than acquiring other teams' practice roster players.
Coleman not the same player as 2018 but who is on that underwhelming BC defence.
If Lemon wants to take on a leadership role he is more than welcome as this unit needs someone to light a fire under them.
Solly may not be the same player he once was but his intensity and leadership is sorely missed especially if Hervey thought Odell "When was My last Sack?" Willis could fill that void.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It’s a move of desperation but something had to be done. Coleman has two sacks this year and has been a shadow of his former self. Lemon has one sack in limited action in Toronto. This move may allow the Lions to reinsert Claudell Louis, another under-performer, and move Junior Luke to his more natural 3-tech position.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

IMO, the biggest problem with the D line was that Claybrooks got rid of D line coach Randy Melvin.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:47 am
IMO, the biggest problem with the D line was that Claybrooks got rid of D line coach Randy Melvin.
Here's your winner.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Don't like the trade. Coleman is 28 and Lemon 33 or 34. I am sure they could have got Lemon for far less than give up on their best DL. Coleman underachieved all year, but all have and I agree firing Randy Melvin was a mistake. I like Lemon, but feel they gave up too much to get him.
David
Team Captain

Score one for Jim Popp. Acquires a 2018 CFL All-Star in Davon Coleman for a guy he had no plans to use. Desperation move.

So Hervey brings back Lemon whom he passed on in the off-season and it costs us a starter. Not a smart, strategic trade. :thdn:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I wasn't all that thrilled with the Hervey hiring but others suggested it was a good hire and that we were lucky to get him. I'm not feeling so thrilled again. Personality wise I didn't care for him much as a player (as great as he was). I remember well the helmet throwing incident that led to a CFL rule creation and now this season and this latest obvious confirmation of a mismanaged off season. Maybe I'm missing something but why is it that we thought he was such a great catch?
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:05 am
Score one for Jim Popp. Acquires a 2018 CFL All-Star in Davon Coleman for a guy he had no plans to use. Desperation move.

So Hervey brings back Lemon whom he passed on in the off-season and it costs us a starter. Not a smart, strategic trade. :thdn:

Heard Farhan L on this trade and he sums it up as good for both teams "WIN-WIN" and players - especially Lemon:

Lemon is 31 if I heard this clip right as someone earlier noted he might be older.

Coleman has been unhappy with the system, how he's used and how it's been taught and spoke to GM and HC on this. As I look back I think I saw an end of practice talk out on the field with these three.

Lemon has had productive years in Calgary with both Stubler and Claybrooks so this might spark him as he's not happy in TO this year

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/lalji-argo ... ms~1751453
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Nothing more than a desperation move. Reacquiring a player that was let go as part of the purge to rid of Wally Buono players. Will Hervey be now trying to reacquire SolE, Lokombo, Fenner, Rose ?
maxlion
Legend

David wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:05 am

The only way to justify this is "addition by subtraction". If Coleman was unhappy and a source of dissension in the room, and if Lemon and Willis can complement each other like they did last year, it may be an improvement.

But I'm with you, looks more like desperation.

A big part of Willis' and Lemon's success last year was due to Coleman. Now we have a hole where Coleman was.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I was thinking after that probably Lions could not afford to take on Lemon's contract without dumping one of their own which could be a reason Coleman was moved. But still don't like the trade. Lemon was barely used by Toronto and probably could have been acquired for way less. Also Lemon probably is only here for the rest for of the year. Lions are not going to make the playoffs despite what Hervey and Claybrooks may believe. They needed an upgrade but trading Coleman for a guy to bring here for just a lost year makes no sense.

I agree a desperation move and not a good one and Lions threw in a draft choice as well.

There were free agents available Lions could have signed probably for not much money that giving up on an all star who is having an off year.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:33 am
Nothing more than a desperation move. Reacquiring a player that was let go as part of the purge to rid of Wally Buono players. Will Hervey be now trying to reacquire SolE, Lokombo, Fenner, Rose ?
He will get none of those guys back. All having good or great years with their teams.
David
Team Captain

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:40 pm
Lemon was barely used by Toronto and probably could have been acquired for way less. Also Lemon probably is only here for the rest for of the year.
Popp was probably going to dump that salary anyway in a few weeks, unless a starter goes down. He's probably snickering over this one in getting an All-Star out of waiting. :roll:

Never in my worst nightmare could I have anticipated this franchise would be circling the drain by mid-August back when Mike Reilly was signed.

Ed Hervey on TSN radio with Farhan at 5:10pm PST today.
http://www.iheartradio.ca/tsn/tsn-vanco ... =1.1748196

Roar, You Lions, Roar
cromartie
Hall of Famer

David wrote:

I feel like I am living my worst nightmare. I never anticipated the franchise could have fallen this far, this fast.

C'mon man. You were around when we went from a Grey Cup to starting Andre Ware at QB in two seasons.