BC Lions re-acquire Shawn Lemon for Davon Coleman

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

RoDun
prospect

a move for the sake of making a move
pennw
Legend

Wow , just going from bad to worse . Truly a desperation move that will only bring the team further down . Trade away our best DL for another remainder of the season with Lemon. All to further justify Stubler's failing system . :roll: Will be another rebuilding year next year for sure on defense . Hopefully with out Stubler.

No doubt Coleman was not happy with the sytem , why should he be ? It is a failing system . Can't see any players being happy with the system .
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Ed Willes offers positive comments about the trade from Ed Hervey and Shawn Lemon, and some interesting comments from Odell Willis and DeVone Claybrooks about how Davon Coleman didn't fit in the Lions' defensive scheme this year.
“We’re addressing an area that’s been a concern for us all season,” Hervey said. “We’re getting a proven pass rusher who’s familiar with the league and familiar with our locker-room.

“A lot of guys know him and respect him. We hope it will boost the confidence of the defence and the rest of the team that we’re doing what we can to win the games in front of us.”
“In some schemes the player excels,” said Willis, who has 99 sacks in 181 CFL career games. “In some he doesn’t. But I’ve played in a lot of schemes and I’ve had success. You have to adapt.”

“You saw what we did last season,” Lemon said. “No one wanted to block us. I’m excited. I know guys are going to have their hands full on the edges.”

Coleman, as it happens, was part of Lemon’s and Willis’s success last season and his play rates as one of the great mysteries of this lost Lions’ season. In 2018, Coleman had eight sacks, 57 tackles and two interceptions and was named a CFL All-Star.

This year, however, he was a non-factor in the defence installed by Claybrooks and veteran defensive coordinator Rich Stubler.

“He was a square peg in a round hole,” Claybrooks said of Coleman. “It comes down to the fit. We decided we needed more pressure from the edge.”

“Davon is a very good player,” said Hervey. “We’ve had many conversations. I just don’t think the system fit for him and we wanted to put him in a position where he could be successful.”
Willes also reported that MIke Reilly took full part in practice Monday at McMaster University in Hamilton and is expected to start Thursday in Winnipeg.
“He’s a soldier,” said Claybrooks. “I saw him (on Sunday) and he could barely get out of bed. Three hours later he said, ‘I’m ready coach.’ He must have cheetah blood in him.”

Ed Willes: Lions GM Hervey fulfils pledge to bolster pass rush, acquires Lemon
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

Wow, while you’re at it Ed, go reacquire the others you let go who are all having success with their new teams?? What an asinine and clueless management running this sinking canoe.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Lemon will also join a rotation on the defensive front which includes some combination of Willis, veteran David Menard, second-year men Junior Luke and Claudell Louis and newcomers Charles Wright, Korey Toomer and Mackendy Cheridor. Against Hamilton the Lions played predominantly with a three-man defensive front but Claybrooks said he isn’t committed to that philosophy.

I thought David Menard was cut in the offseason. Is this a mistake by Ed Willis???
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hervey's comments about Lemon is total bs. If Lemon was as good as Hervey thinks he is, begs the question: why did he not re-signed him in the off season ?
David
Team Captain

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:07 pm
I thought David Menard was cut in the offseason. Is this a mistake by Ed Willis???
Yup. Ed must be time-travelling. Menard was released in the off-season.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

So Coleman was a square peg trying to fit into a round hole with the Lions defence. I guess there are a whole bunch of square pegs then.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:46 pm
So Coleman was a square peg trying to fit into a round hole with the Lions defence. I guess there are a whole bunch of square pegs then.
The biggest one is the guy in charge of the defence.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:17 pm
JohnnyMusso wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:07 pm
Yup. Ed must be time-travelling. Menard was released in the off-season.

DH :cool:
I guess Ed knew something was coming down. LOL

That's 2 guys back from last years team. Who is next? Have to admit I was surprised Menard, Vaillancourt and Vandervoort didn't get a sniff with another team after being released.
#BCLions have brought back DL David Menard.

The club's fourth-round pick in 2014 has suited up in 84 regular-season games.