Lions at Ticats Aug. 10, 2019 post-game thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:47 pm
I don't agree with the holding pattern.
I concur. If a player or coach is not doing his job, get rid of them. What's the point of trotting out the same player (or coach) game after game. If nothing else, it destroys the morale of the rest of the players who are doing their jobs.
yukonlion
All Star

Well the offence showed up, but the D with no pressure (esp 4th qtr) and special teams were terrible. Plus constant shot of claybrooks on the side lines looking bewildered and not talking to anybody.... this is a mystery, is he managing the team or leaving to his assistants... it was the same D weve seen all year, not terrible play through 3 quarters then go into a funk when they need a big play... and reinbold fooling our special teams on numerous occasions, though we were fooled many times last year when he was the coach... something has to change to at least admit that we need changes... how do we hire the coach of the the best D over the last few years and our D is terrible.... is Claybrooks a poser??? D just needed one more stop but the cats easily scored 3 times in a row, just like calgary with a cold qb... frustrtaing to hear them blame deatils, when the called no blitzes in the 4th Q... ugh.. still wearing my colours!!
prj
Starter

Thank you for posting this clip. I thought I saw that incident on the live broadcast, though it was from the sideline camera. Why didn't anybody else see it? Where was the challenge flag?

It doesn't condone the collapse, but it would have been a more difficult issue had Hamiliton started the drive at their 25.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:26 pm
I have a theory in sports. Bad teams don't get any breaks from the refs.

DH :cool:
The call should have been made and it's a not a challenge call for the coaches.

Black and Ford noted it and then moved on.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Where is Ed Hervey in this year's debacle ? Is he avoiding the media ?
MikeAK
All Star

Bummer.
RoDun
prospect

David wrote:

they were probably watching our #33, wondering why he was not staying in his lane and wtf is he actually doing, returner ran up where he should have been (not shown in that clip)
Reggiemac
Rookie

Some improvements in all 3 teams but criticalbreadowns in each area cost them the game. Carter is no threat so dump him andbuy a decent DE.
Reggiemac
Rookie

Gettingrid of Carterwould improve our ofense play a young guy with a future.
maxlion
Legend

First thing is that Hervey and Claybrooks need to sit down and look at the culture of the team. Even from afar it is obvious that something is wrong.

Second thing: fire Stubler and let Claybrooks take over the D. It is the one thing we know he is good at. Need to use the strengths of the people you have. Probably can't change other coaches at this point. Highly doubt any experienced ST coach would want to get involved with this team right now.

Personel-wise, oline made some mistakes but overall a big improvement. Good run game and decent protection. Need a Canadian centre moving forward. Carter has no impact on the offense. Whatever magic he once had is seemingly long gone. No point keeping him around at his salary, regardless of off field reputation. Def line and linebackers need improvement. Most changes need to wait until the off season.
pennw
Legend

David wrote:

I saw that immediately when it happened and replayed a number of times. That missed call was the straw that broke the camels back and allowed the returner the big return that set up the win for Hamilton . Without that blatant illegal block the returner gets flattened right where he catches the ball . That guy was the first guy downfield right at the returner and the refs don't see it ?? Or chose to ignore it for what reason ?? IMO that probably changed the outcome of the game . Hoping the CFL apologizes to BC for it , publicly . Going by the amount of coaches challenges Claybrooks has won , there needs to be some explaining from Ambrosie why garbage calls or non-calls keep happening . Think I will be emailing the league on it . They can't afford for BC to keep going downward and botching calls needs to stop . There is no way the refs could have actually not seen that as he was the first and most obvious guy coming down and had a per-fect angle on the returner . So I'm going with the idea that the refs deliberately chose to let it go , another words allowed Hamilton to cheat . Deliberately .
pennw
Legend

On the game other than that no-call. Jarious Jackson earned a reprieve , Stubler did not . Some are calling for firings to happen , others say stay the course . I fall into the middle of this . At this point there is one firing that could be made that would be doable and still stay with in the cap . That is to fire Rich Stubler immediately and have Claybrooks himself take over the DC spot for the remainder of the season . He could delegate some of his duties as HC by choosing some one else within the organization as an assistant HC . To those who would call for JJ to be fired instead , you are wrong as he showed , at least in this game he could bring a good offensive plan . The tipped passes that were picked are not his fault , nor is the high snap by a rookie center . Overall the offense played very well while Stubler's system still has his guys playing way below their capability . To fire JJ and not Stubler would be a disaster .
David
Team Captain

And that they somehow thought we had no end when we had 7 guys on the LOS. WTF was that about?? Thank goodness someone caught that and it was overturned.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I agree Pennw, but it will not happen. Stubler is Claybrooks mentor and I just do not see him firing him. I expect them to stay status quo with the coaches the rest of the year and only blame and changes the players and even that will be minimal.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

RoDun wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:43 am
David wrote:

they were probably watching our #33, wondering why he was not staying in his lane and wtf is he actually doing, returner ran up where he should have been (not shown in that clip)
Yes, Moore gave up the outside lane, and that's where the coverage broke down. The Lions made a lot of mistakes to give this game away, and they got a lot more breaks from the officials than did the Ticats. Hamilton took 14 penalties. The Lions took 6. Blaming a call or non-call for the loss is ridiculous.