Admit it, Claybrooks is a High School Coach, at best!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Ray Nettles Ghost
prospect

Firing an Assistant Coach is just admitting that the Head Coach absolutely NO IDEA what the hell he is doing.
If Firing an Assistant was going to happen, it should have happened a Month or more ago.
Its time to FIRE our Vince Lombardi...."NOW"!
Johnny Musso was also one of the Best......Loved that guy!
Even with the "My" Bears!
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Just saying with the new coaches cap in place Lions can only afford to fire one coach. It is more likely to be an assistant than head coach and yes he picked the assistants and some of them are looking like very poor choices.

Personally I don't see Hervey or Claybrooks firing anyone now.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:41 am
While there have been no direct racist remarks, relating the side tilted hate as dressing like you're in the 'Hood, along with rap singer remarks definitely brings race into the discussion AND IT SHOULD NOT BE THERE..

Mentioning Trump and MAGA was provocative, so I will just say in my own provocative way: "Not all Trump supporters are racists but all racists are Trump supporters.
Yah so you hate haters can take a freaking hike. Silly comments from them and yes Dano - mentioning the hood and the hat is code for the racists. I viewed it the same way.

Ranting about the HC and how he acts and dresses is way offside and shows posters with nothing but blather to offer.

Despite the loss there are some positive signs.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Ray Nettles Ghost
prospect

Totally disagree with all of the above.
They had a "Bi" week off, and still could not beat a Back Up QB and a an equally weak D.
How about you Left Wingers just stop with this Racist talk.
If you can not handle the Truth, abut how this Loser insulting "LOOKS",( Yes.....he is a LOSER as he has WON nothing, except some Fluke Game, that they should have Lost)...then just don't reply, with your ridiculous accusations of the facts, being based on any Race driven slurs.
As we all know, we here in Canada do not have the same issues that they have in the States.
NONE of us Canadians have a Racist ounce of dislike, in any of us.....so take your Crap and stick it up your Left Wing BUTT!
My wife happens to be Asian, and even she will admit.....that she can't Drive! LOL
Oh wait a minute, you Left Winger / PC fools, will take that statement the wrong way as well.
Lets get off this S#@T and deal with the facts.
If I was to say, that Jeff Reinebold was trying to be a Wannabe Tough Guy with all of his tatties, would that be a Racist statement, based on the fact that I don't like White guys with Tatties?
If some WHITE guy was a wannabe Head Coach, and he Dressed like "SNOOP DOG" or "ENINEM", and was wanting to be a GROOVY Guy and Dress like some Rapper wannabe, would that be Worn to say, in your PC world?
Who cares if Clay Bricks is Black or Yellow or Red or White or Purple?
What we care about is, that "Snoop Dog" is NOT a Head Coach and he is in a Losing position that Hervey put him in.
Gee......may be? Hervey is a Racist? based on your ridiculous train of thought, as his entire coaching staff is one of Colour?
Colour is NOT the ISSUE here, except in your mind, BUT.....the lack of Respect for his position is!
This guy, like I have said since day one.....spends more time Titling his Rapper Hood Hat, than he does Tilting the Score Board, in OUR favour.
Clay Bricks is NOT.....a Head Coach at the Pro Level or apparently at any level.
Seriously, how could any Veteran Player have any Respect for any Coach, that does not show Respect for his own Position.
If you want to dress like a Bum on your Days Off......by all means, do exactly that.
But when you are at the Office, you Dress for the position, that you Hold.
There is absolutely No Leadership of any kind on the Lions....Not on Offense .....Not on Defence and certainly not coming from the Coaching ranks.
Heads should have ROLLED a Long Time ago.
Chopping off a Head Now, is just is being done for SHOW!
A REAL COACH, would have Kicked some Ass, a Long time ago!
Clay Bricks has to GO!
Ray Nettles Ghost
prospect

Question?
WHY the hell, are the Lions Players Laughing it up, and Smiling their fool faces off, immediately after such a Loss?
That in itself, says it all about their dedication to this game.
Riley was the "only one", that looked PISSED OFF "BIG TIME"!
Oh wait a minute, that must be another Racist comment, as Riley is White and Burnham isn't!
You Left Wingers make me Laugh, as much as the Lions do Coaching staff does!
RoDun
prospect

If Claybrooks wore a 3 piece suit and a fedora, we'd probably be unbeaten
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

RoDun wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:39 am
^^^Nice concise summation of the Hat Hater's rambling post.
Reggiemac
Rookie

He desnt act like a leader and his team performance deonsrates his lack of skills. Hei is in a wayover his head. Sad case . on thesidelines he looks like a high school coach who hasnt a clue. Ive worked with leaders who say we have to walkacross aswamp andthey start walking and youjust folow them,hes not one of them.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Ray Nettles Ghost please keep politics and name calling off this site. This is a good site, but posts in which you call everyone left wingers, tell them to shove their comments where the sun don't shine and insult them bring this site down. I personally hate politics and can't stand all the insults and name calling for frankly it is quite immature. When I was 12 I had to endure that BS. Now that we are older there is no need to.

I have no problem with you saying Claybrooks should be fired and personally I feel he should be if this losing continues. This team is a mess and their record should be better than 1 and 7 and soon to be 1 and 8. But calling him Snopp Dog, Claybricks and other names is immature and insulting to the man. He may not be a good coach, but he deserves better than to be dragged through the gutter with insults and name calling.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

RoDun wrote:
Hire Mike Kelly!
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Here's what I don't get: Almost every CFL coach dresses in team gear, usually with a cap. Claybrooks' professional appearance is exactly the same as other coaches around the league, so why the big focus on his "unprofessional" appearance?

Most people on this site seem to agree about the Lions' coaching being subpar. The team's record speaks for itself. Personal attacks based on appearance or politics don't contribute anything positive to the discussion.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:22 pm
Here's what I don't get: Almost every CFL coach dresses in team gear, usually with a cap. Claybrooks' professional appearance is exactly the same as other coaches around the league, so why the big focus on his "unprofessional" appearance?

Most people on this site seem to agree about the Lions' coaching being subpar. The team's record speaks for itself. Personal attacks based on appearance or politics don't contribute anything positive to the discussion.
x2

This thread has been disturbing. Now we are straying into discussions of political affiliations, political correctness and suggestions about what to do with our opinions. I'm not going to post in it any further and I would suggest that others do the same. Let it die a well deserved death otherwise I fear it is only going to get more personal and more out there into flame war land.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
BC 1988
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:22 pm

Fully agree. I've avoided being drawn into what is basically run-of-the-mill (and very amateur at that) trolling. This sums it up perfectly.

As others have said, the big mistake Hervey made was not hiring Claybrooks for what he has a proven track record--as a DC. (His record on challenges is also excellent--there is definite skill there). Hiring him as a first time HC was a gamble, as was the in way over his head ST coach who is making BC the target of every experienced opposing ST coach.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

As much as I was cautiously optimistic coming into the season I also anticipated a very bumpy ride for the first half of the season. I just wasn't expecting it to be this bumpy. The combination of new coaching staff, big player turnover and a schedule that would see them on the road for 6 of their 9 on the road provided many red flags. Last year they only won twice on the road with the first not happening until after Labour Day. I was figuring I would be wildly happy if they started 4-4 and reasonably pleased with 3-5 which if not for 2 major 4th quarter defensive meltdowns is where they could be now.

The head coach does deserve a lot of heat and it's easy to target some of the other less experienced members of his staff. However it's the 2 most experienced BC coaches who draw my ire, Jackson and Stubler, in particular Stubler. Last year the pass rush struggled almost as bad as this year. It seemed to turn the corner with the additions of Louis and Lemon and think led the CFL in sacks over the second half or the season. 3/4 of that combination returned. Only Lemon is gone so it's hard to put it all on personnel. That leaves coaching. Washington was replaced by Stubler and Melvin by Ellis. Is Ellis teaching different techniques that aren't working? Or is it Stubler's overall scheme that after so many years has become tired and ineffective? I'm betting on the latter.

I do have some concerns about Reilly. He has deservedly earned a reputation as a warrior who will take a lickin' to make a play. At times I wonder if that warrior mentality isn't working against him. He seems at times to wait too long trying to wait to see if something might open up. He seems reluctant to toss the ball into the 3rd row or take off and run until it's too late.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Ray Nettles Ghost
prospect

RoDun wrote:
Ro Duh
Try to keep up!
The HAT is just Symbolic, as to where "Snoop Dog" places his Focus!
The guy is NOT a Pro Head Coach, whether he is in his YO YO HOMIE Hat, or he was in a 3 piece suit, or in a pair of your own Panties.
This guy is not Qualified to be the Head Coach of anything above Kids Minor Ball.
he has to go!