Admit it, Claybrooks is a High School Coach, at best!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnnyMusso
Champion

As for the poster Ray Nettles Ghost, like someone said, it is not your opinion that people object to it is your tone and style. Because some people disagrees with you, you insult them by calling them so called experts and one guy a moron. No one on here said they were an expert, but some on her have a lot of knowledge about football. Second, if you don't like the coach that is fine, but calling him Snoop Dog is out of line and insulting. The reason he wears the hat sideways was told when he was hired and goes way back to when he was in high school. It just keep on wearing it that way. It has nothing to do about being cool. And frankly your complaint about it is so petty it is ridiculous and a waste of time arguing about it. Third, many have told you there is a coaching cap now in place, so you cannot just fire people in mid season like in the old days. Lions are up against the cap and probably cannot afford to hire another coach if they fired Claybrooks for it would put them over the cap and they would get fined by the league. And Lulay has a job with the Lions and no one else on the staff other than Stubler and Jackson has experience and they are not really desirable or popular candidates to take over. At the end of the season is when changes will happen and how deep they go no one except David Braley and the President, Rick L. knows.
RoDun
prospect

I don't think any coach can work with this roster
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

RoDun wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:27 am
I don't think any coach can work with this roster
Exactly. The talent and mix on this team has been woefully judged.

Every other team has new players to the league contributing. Who new do we have? Nothing.
David
Team Captain

I am going to respectfully disagree. For the most part, depth is a problem and yes, there are a few weaknesses (e.g., linebacking is bottom third, punting has been a problem), but make no mistake. This club should be performing well above its 1-6 record relative to the talent. They have, at times, appeared unmotivated, disorganized, undisciplined, and sloppy.

Come on, one of the best QBs in the league, two proven running backs, two of the better O-linemen in the league in Figueroa and Chungh, a talented receiving corps in Burnham, Durant, and Carter, two 2018 CFL all-stars anchoring the D in Coleman and Lee, one of the league's best cover guys in Grymes, a promising sophomore year for Louis (who was the club's Outstanding Rookie last year), and lights-out kicker.

At worst, this is a 3-4 club. I put 80% of this debacle on coaching (all of them) and scheme, 20% on talent.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
BC 1988
Legend

While the forum rules don't prohibit multiple handles (this is a pretty laid-back board), it's usually considered bad form (on most boards) for posters to use two simultaneously.
Evil Empire
prospect

I think the accusations of racism leveled at the hat haters by many here during this season are pretty disgusting. I don’t recall a single hat hater mentioning Claybrooks’ colour. So why are other people bringing that into the conversation? In fact I believe it’s much more likely the people throwing around these unsubstantiated accusations are actually closet racists trying to project to the world that they aren’t. Or they might really not be racist, but are just trying way too hard. SJW are the bane of western society and doing everybody a disservice.

Would you defend anything about Claybrooks if he was white? If not, wouldn’t that be racist, too?

I have personal experience in this area. I’m white and my lovely wife is black. We both think the hat is the most unprofessional thing we’ve ever seen from a HC in CFL history. Anybody want to accuse us of being racist?

Do you honestly not see any possible correlation between Claybrooks and the record of your football team? His complete unprofessionalism almost certainly plays a part in that. The boss should look and act like the boss or some people will simply not take him seriously. That’s just common sense. No matter what colour he is. So quit trying to make it all about that. It’s offensive to people that actually live with real racism everyday.

If you hate Claybrooks’ hat, you’re a racist??? Stating the obvious about a black person without mentioning his race in any derogatory way is not racism, and some of you should educate yourselves on the subject. Because you obviously know nothing about it.

I read all the West division fan sites but am not a member of any of them. I only joined here today to say what I’ve said.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:43 am
I am going to respectfully disagree. For the most part, depth is a problem and yes, there are a few weaknesses (e.g., linebacking is bottom third, punting has been a problem), but make no mistake. This club should be performing well above its 1-6 record relative to the talent. They have, at times, appeared unmotivated, disorganized, undisciplined, and sloppy.

Come on, one of the best QBs in the league, two proven running backs, two of the better O-linemen in the league in Figueroa and Chungh, a talented receiving corps in Burnham, Durant, and Carter, two 2018 CFL all-stars anchoring the D in Coleman and Lee, one of the league's best cover guys in Grymes, a promising sophomore year for Louis (who was the club's Outstanding Rookie last year), and lights-out kicker.

At worst, this is a 3-4 club. I put 80% of this debacle on coaching (all of them) and scheme, 20% on talent.

DH :cool:
I agree with this. Some of the signs of a badly coached team:
  • Coming out flat in big games (losing the season series to Edmonton and Saskatchewan in July, being blown out in losing back-to-back games to the Riders for the first time since 1974)
  • Blowing leads (0-3 when leading after the first quarter, 0-2 when leading at halftime)
  • Being outplayed at home (the Lions are 0-3 at B.C. Place; Hamilton is 4-0 at home and Winnipeg is 3-0)
  • Constantly shuffling the roster (seven O-line combinations in eight games)
  • Ranking ninth in offence with the league's highest paid quarterback
  • Being unable to protect the quarterback (a league-high 25 sacks allowed)
The Lions for the most part have looked unmotivated and slow. They're thinking and trying to play a system instead of reacting and playing hard. It isn't working.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

While there have been no direct racist remarks, relating the side tilted hate as dressing like you're in the 'Hood, along with rap singer remarks definitely brings race into the discussion AND IT SHOULD NOT BE THERE..

Mentioning Trump and MAGA was provocative, so I will just say in my own provocative way: "Not all Trump supporters are racists but all racists are Trump supporters.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:15 am
  • Coming out flat in big games (losing the season series to Edmonton and Saskatchewan in July, being blown out in losing back-to-back games to the Riders for the first time since 1974)
  • Blowing leads (0-3 when leading after the first quarter, 0-2 when leading at halftime)
  • Being outplayed at home (the Lions are 0-3 at B.C. Place; Hamilton is 4-0 at home and Winnipeg is 3-0)
  • Constantly shuffling the roster (seven O-line combinations in eight games)
  • Ranking ninth in offence with the league's highest paid quarterback
  • Being unable to protect the quarterback (a league-high 25 sacks allowed)
The Lions for the most part have looked unmotivated and slow. They're thinking and trying to play a system instead of reacting and playing hard. It isn't working.
I'm not sure the term "blowing leads" quite fits as that generally hints at defensive collapses. "Squandered" is the term I prefer. The offense seems to totally vacate the premises in the second half to the point where the defense has to literally pitch a shutout for the Lions to hang onto their usually slim lead. The defense can shoulder the blame for blowing the lead late in Calgary but the offense has overall been the achilles heel.

Stats show BC being outscored 106-88 (average of 15-12.5) in the first half and a dismal 135-57 (ave 19-8) in the second. In terms of 2nd half scores the offense contributed 5 FGs, 5 TDs and a 2 pt convert after a Lankford return. Only twice have they put up more than 9 points in the 2nd half. 2 of those TDs came in the lone win over Toronto. 1 came in the season opener vs Winnipeg. Another came in the Calgary game. The only TD the offense has put up on the board in the 3 games since the win in Toronto was the garbage time TD to Cottoy with 3 seconds left on the clock in Regina.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

To my knowledge there has only been one hat hater and that is Ray Nettles Ghost. Then Evil Empire says he and his wife are a hat hater too. Since this a first post I have to question whether Ray Nettles Ghost and Evil Empire are the same person. They may not be, but seems to much of a coincidence to me. Also as I said the complaint is very petty. The average fan could care less. To make a statement that his tilted hat is the unprofessional thing in the history of the CFL is pretty extreme. Can you two seriously know the history of the CFL over the last 100 plus years and how people dressed or acted? I doubt it.

Claybrooks will be judged on his record which right now is very poor. I for one feel if Lions do finish with 4 wins or fewer both he and Hervey need to be fired. You cannot give time for someone to grow. It is a results based industry and Lions cannot risk going through another year like this. One is bad enough.

The last time Lions finished 3 and 15 does anyone remember who was the coach? Was it Joe Paopao? That year Lions cleaned house and brought in Dave Richie and Eric Tillman and they turned the franchise around in 1 year.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:12 pm
The last time Lions finished 3 and 15 does anyone remember who was the coach? Was it Joe Paopao? That year Lions cleaned house and brought in Dave Richie and Eric Tillman and they turned the franchise around in 1 year.
1992. Bob O'Billovich was the coach. He was fired to make way for the Tillman/Ritchie regime. The Lions finished 10-8 in 1993 and 11-6-1 in 1994, setting up a dramatic Grey Cup run.
The team entered training camp in Kelowna with promise. Despite the loss of Doug Flutie, Danny Barrett had led Calgary to the Grey Cup in 1991, and was an excellent quarterback. But in the season opener against Edmonton, Danny struggled and was replaced by Tony Kimbrough in the second half. The Eskimos went on to a 37-26 victory. The next week, the Lions travelled to Toronto and in the first five minutes of the game marched down the field scoring on an impressive drive. Unfortunately, it was the only bright spot of the evening for B.C. as the Argonauts handed the Lions one of their worst defeats ever – 61-20. In the third game of the year against Doug Flutie and the Calgary Stampeders, the Lions were holding their own when Danny Barrett went down in the third quarter with a seperated shoulder. Flutie then guided Calgary to a 37-19 win and the Lions went downhill from there. The team lost eight straight before finally edging out Ottawa 33-27 on September 3 with Danny Barrett back at the helm. In fact, B.C. looked strong and confident in doing so. Unfortunately off-season problems emerged to swing focus from football to ownership. Team owner Murray Pezim and his company Prime Sports, declared bankruptcy and the League and Commissioner Larry Smith stepped in as the interim owners and the search for a new owner was launched. Three weeks later the new owner was found. Bill Comrie, owner of the Brick chain of furniture stores stepped in, saved the team and ushered in a new era. Unfortunately, the team didn't respond, losing the final seven games of the year after winning three straight, finishing the season with a 3-15 record. That spelled the end for Head Coach Bob O'Billovich. On December 12 a new General Manager – Eric Tillman – was announced and he in turn brought in Dave Ritchie, the Defensive Coordinator of the Ottawa Rough Riders, as his new Head Coach.
http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... 24&t=15042
aklawitter
All Star

shut up op 2names
Ray Nettles Ghost
prospect

Lets lay the Two different Handles to rest, for once and for all.
YES.......I have Two Handles as I am sure, that many of you do, the difference is, that at least I ADMIT IT!!!
I was at work, and was wanting to reply to some Post, and I totally forgot my Handle and its Pass Word, its not as if I live on this Forum as some of the Experts do.
So....at present I am using Rays Nettles handle ( Nettles was one of the Best of all time.....do you want to argue that as well???.....I am sure, that Half of you....don't even have an Idea,....who Nettles was....but.....You sure do know, everything else about the game! ), so lets get over that one.
My views and opinions are the same, no matter what you want to call yourself or what I might want to call myself.....who really cares.....Your views and My Views....are all that really matters.
And NO......the other Hat Hater has nothing to do with me at all.
He must be a very very bright individual though and Brave, in order to state some thing that only "I" have seen to date!
When it comes to the racist comments from some, its Funny how "THEY" do not get scolded for bringing up the Topic, but.....I am chastised for revering to Clay BRICKS as the second coming of a Snoop Dog Clone, which he obviously is.
Can we please get this Loser...errrrrr....I'm sorry.....Can we get this LOSING Coach to look as if he is a HEAD COACH his counter part on the Hamilton Tiger Cats does!
Funny how they are both "HEAD COACHES" from the same ethnic background, but our guy.....needs to be the "COOL" "GROOVY" "HIP" Guy......where as there HEAD COACH.....LOOKS like a HEAD COACH!
Who gives a Damn as to what he used to wear back in High School......I used to wear my hair down my back and along with Wife Beaters back in High School. but as an ADULT in a Professional field, that outfit went by the way side, 40 years ago, as shoudl that STUPID TILTED HAT!
Grow Up Clay Bricks and start to LOOK and ACT like a Professional HEAD COACH Should LOOK, just as our counter part does on the Ti Cats.
YO YO Clay Bricks, you just LOST "AGAIN" to another "Back Up" QB!
The players are not to blame......this all Lies on Snoop Dogs Head.
The guys played well for the most part.....they Fought back......the Ground game looks good.....The O Line did a bit better......their centre should be Benched......and the Coach should be LET GO.......You don't need to Replace his Salary.....just appoint an Interm coach from within their present Payroll.
Yo Yo Cool GUY NEEDS TO GO!
By the way , I was never the one, to bring Trump into this discussion or onto the Forum, one of our other Experts SANK that Low, with his MAGA comments ( BUT......I DO LOVE TRUMP!).
Which once again, has absolutely NOTHING to do with YO YO COOL GUY HEAD COACH!
The Cap has nothing to do, with getting RID of this GUY......NOW!
We are not Hiring another Coach, we are just getting Rid of a Guy......that knows NOTHING about Coaching or how to LOOK like a HEAD COACH!
They just had a Bi week, last week.
How about this week.....we say "GOOD BYE" to our "Snoop Dog" wannabe!
This guy, doesn't LOOK like a HEAD COACH......Doesn't Dress like a HEAD COACH and he doesn't COACH......Like a HEAD COACH!
He is absolutely Pathetic, as "HIS" Team is!
This is "HIS" Team......"HE" Picked them....."HE" Coaches them....."HE" is responsible for this Orange abortion that we have been watching all season long.
Sorry if any of you Millenials think, that I am being a little too harsh on Snoop.
You have our permission to go to your Quiet Place.
This guy NEEDS TO BE FIRED........Immediately!
ElemenoP
prospect

^^

Man. You need to get laid or something.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Actually most of the posters on this forum are 50 and over, not millennials. If they are some that would be good for most watch the NFL not CFL. And most of us if not all know who Ray Nettles was. A great linebacker, which we are really missing

All I will say is this cannot continue, the losing that is, without something major happening, In the old days, Claybrooks would be fired, but with the stupid coaching cap, it really limits what they can do. But the time has come for them to stop worrying about making a scapegoat of someone and fire someone whether that may be Taylor A or Rich Stubler. To watch them play so good and then fumble it all away is heart breaking, but not surprising.

As for the rest of your post, I really will not waste my time responding to most of what you said for heard it all before and will again I am sure with each loss.