LineUp Changes for Tiger Cats Game

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnnyMusso
Champion

Farhan Lalji‏Verified account @FarhanLaljiTSN

#bclions with 12 O-linemen practing today. Godber back on 6-game. Chungh back at RG. Renfrow with most of the reps at RT. Konar back practicing. Herdman didn’t get many reps (minor leg injury)

As expected new acquired Renfrow will start at RT. No other new players added.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David
Team Captain

Joey Augustin, who impressed at camp before being released is now back practicing with the club, per Giulio.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:57 pm
Joey Augustin, who impressed at camp before being released is now back practicing with the club, per Giulio.

That’s excellent news. He plays Duron Carter’s position but he could be an asset wherever he can fit into the lineup.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

From that video they said Brent Boyko and David F are being tried out at LG which could be trouble for Reilly. They have been ineffective and yet they keep starting them hoping for different results. Either player starting is not desirable.
Foxhound
Starter

So is John White still out? Will Brandon Rutley be the starter at RB?

:juggle:
Radically Canadian!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Not much change over the break but change for the sake of change is what plagued the Als since the retirement of Cavillo - both in coaching and players. Now they've got a semblance of stability there and not a revolving door and it looks, sounds and feels stable - much like the Bombers that took a long time under Mike O'Shea.

As for the rant on the other thread about the HC - amongst the crazy sounding stuff - are things that might lead to improvements but none of it is about a hat nor how vets don't respect him.

Hervey has yet to step on this HC and that's a good thing but in the quiet the HC needs to build a stronger culture that leads to more passion in games and players understanding they need to make plays on DEF, STs.

Coaching - OC has to be stepped on to get his other coaches on OFF who know what to do more involved as Jackson sucks so far with this rigidity.

Reilly - TSN has a question here as to his responsibility to help his OL. My response is that more of this drop back 3/5 steps is unhelpful and moving the pocket and some varying of the run plays has to happen. It's as if Reilly keeps doing the same thing over that proves he's tough and not a quitter but he has to try something different. He has to speak up on the schemes and play calls being changed.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:01 pm
From that video they said Brent Boyko and David F are being tried out at LG which could be trouble for Reilly. They have been ineffective and yet they keep starting them hoping for different results. Either player starting is not desirable.
I agree but since the season is a right off at this point, some extra film on these two to fully vet them before making a decision on releasing them or keeping them is a good idea, imo.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I'm not sure why we bother to dress a backup QB. Note Reilly's two back ups last year in EDMTN never played a down of football.

Not only has Hervey got BC the best QB, he's guaranteed that we'd not develop a future QB - possibly dooming BC's future to that of the Als post Cavillo...lol

Not sure why Kevin Glenn is not showing up as even being on the Esks Roster last year but it was his last season and he never played a down:

https://www.cfl.ca/players/kevin-glenn/63531/

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/06/12/kevin-gle ... 8-seasons/
By 2014, Glenn had become known as one of the best backup quarterbacks in the CFL. That year he signed with BC and stepped in for an injured Travis Lulay, throwing for nearly 4,000 yards in addition to 17 touchdowns.

Glenn would make additional stops in Saskatchewan, Montreal, Winnipeg, and Saskatchewan again before completing his nine-team circuit by signing with the Eskimos in 2018, making history in the process.

With a healthy Mike Reilly at the helm in Edmonton, last year marked the first in Glenn’s career that he didn’t take a snap.
https://www.cfl.ca/players/danny-o-brien/160777/
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
The_Pauser
Legend

Glad to see Augustin is back, no clue why he was cut.

I would look to put him in at Carter's spot (assuming he looks ready) and move Carter inside to get him more involved.

The offensive line should probably look something like this:

Figueroa-Steward-Pierson-Chungh-Renfrow, with Boyko and Foucault dressed as backups.

I'm still disappointed by the Lions not addressing the need for a pass rush.
Roar you Lions roar!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Ed Willes breaks down the latest reshuffle of the offensive line for the Hamilton game. It will be the seventh O-line combination in eight games. LT Joel Figueroa is the only player starting this week at the same position as in the last game before the bye. RG Sukh Chungh is also back from a stint on the injured list.
This week, the Lions’ O-line figures to feature a new right tackle in Justin Renfrow, a new centre in Phillip Norman and a new/old left guard in David Foucault.

Renfrow, who was acquired in a trade with Calgary during the bye week, becomes the third player to man the right tackle post this season. Norman, incredibly, becomes the fourth centre. Foucault, who’s bounced back and forth from the right tackle to the left guard spot, returns to the guard position and veteran Hunter Steward will serve as the sixth offensive lineman.

If you’re scoring at home, that represents three American starters which is notable because, coming out of training camp, the Lions hoped to start four Canadians on the line. That, in turn, would have given the team a great deal of roster flexibility but, like a lot a number of things, the Lions have been forced to reassess their earlier thinking.

“We felt good about it coming out of camp, but you have to admit when you’re wrong and move on,” said offensive coordinator Jarious Jackson. “We’ve admitted we were wrong.”

“It’s hard to establish any kind of continuity,” said head coach DeVone Claybrooks. “These two play it this way. These two see it another way. It’s hard to grow and get better when you have different players every week. Hopefully we’ve found our guys.”
Ed Willes: Can B.C. Lions rescue season by calming the offensive line calamity?
maxlion
Legend

If playing 3 internationals is what it takes to protect Reilly, then so be it, but surprising that they can't find three starters from among their national talent. Too many guards, not enough centres and tackles? Stewart looked pretty good the last couple of years, now back on the sidelines?
David
Team Captain

maxlion wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:12 pm
If playing 3 internationals is what it takes to protect Reilly, then so be it, but surprising that they can't find three starters from among their national talent. Too many guards, not enough centres and tackles? Stewart looked pretty good the last couple of years, now back on the sidelines?
Ironically, we have too many natural tackles playing guard. Not sure what happened to Vaillancourt but I assume his wrist injury did him in. Nobody picked him up, even the Als.

I am okay with Foucault, Boyko, and Steward fighting it out for the left guard position. I would have thought this is a no-brainer for Steward (another natural guard!) to take, but he's either fighting a lingering injury (he recently came out of a game with back spasms) or hasn't graded out too well - or both - but I sense the coaching staff hasn't been too enamoured with his play this year.

If this quintet doesn't produce the desired results after a few games together then I think the heat needs to seriously be turned up on Bryan Chiu.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:28 pm

If this quintet doesn't produce the desired results after a few games together then I think the heat needs to seriously be turned up on Bryan Chiu.

I would have punted Chiu already David. The unit has been atrocious and no lineman is thriving or developing under him. He must hate what he sees in Knevel because he has never got chance even with the weekly shuffling and changes.
Now it's come down to starting 3 Americans from what was once considered easily our most depth among national talent. Ridiculous.

I guess Ed can be blamed too for throwing a boatload of money at Chungh to play right guard when Foucault had a solid season there a year ago, starting every game.