Will Lions Cut a Vet Before the Deadline

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Will Lions Cut a Vet Before the Sept 1 Deadline

Yes, 3 players or more
10%
Yes, 2 players will be cut
40%
Yes 2 players and one of them will be Carter
50%
Yes 1 player but no idea who
No votes
No
No votes
No and it will be a mistake that Hervey will regret
No votes

Total votes: 10
pennw
Legend

DanoT wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:42 pm
Sir Purrcival wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:22 pm
I'm just going to say if they lose 2 of the next 3, then cuts will be coming. The cuts should come from positions that aren't very effective anyway. Defensive line, Offensive Line, are the two most likely areas where cuts could happen. I wouldn't think that a Reilly trade would be out of the question either. There are some teams here that would want a top tier QB. Ottawa, Hamilton come to mind. Save the salary, get some picks and pieces that you need later and see what QB you can pickup for next season in the off season.
While things have gone off the rails this season and much of the blame is on Ed for gutting the team, a further gutting now or in the off season would seem to be like starting over. But more importantly it would amount to an admission by ED that he made a lot of wrong decisions (he probably did) but Ed's position will likely be that it is a good roster, the players just need to work harder and so do the coaches and blah, blah, blah.

While it is possible to cut from the OL because there is a number of players there , that can't be said of the DL . There is not a lot of players to cut there . Who would be the choice to be cut there ? And would it be a smart move ? I would say no , you've already got scapegoating going on there by Stubler with Claudell Louis , who was a pretty good player before Stubler got here and messed him up . Gutting the team further would be stupid . BC is painfully thin at that spot already . And to do more scapegoating would only do more damage to psyche of the team than has already been done .
Stubler has messed them all up at this point and I don't think there is anything he can do to change that at this point . All the players from last year have been brought down from where they were last year , so it hard to even judge how good any of the new players on Defense even are . Is it players being no good or is Stubler coaching them down from their natural abilities and instincts? Going by what we have seen in the regression of players we already knew about , I would say it's Stubler . This Defense is not going to be any good as long as Stubler is here. If a cut needs to be made , start with Stubler and stop the scapegoating .
JohnnyMusso
Champion

This game will tell a tale. Lions have had 2 weeks to prepare and time to refocus. Even if they lose, they have to play a good game and make it close. If Lions lose in another blowout. Then major change happens. cannot spin your wheels week after week. Lions need to show better to prove they have the talent and character.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

This is not baseball. You can't march in new players to "give fans hope".

The right acquisition can make a good team better, but it is exceedingly rare that they make a bad team good.

During the 2001 season, I believe we ran through 25 receivers. It didn't help then, and it won't help now.

To answer a question, I don't think the franchise is, financially, in a position where they have to cut veterans like the old days, so it's entirely likely that no one will.

Having said that, my vote is and remains Boyko.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

August 7, 2019
Add to practice roster: WR Joey Augustin (A)
Release from practice roster: WR Marquis Bundy (A)

July 30, 2019
Acquire OL Justin Renfrow (A) from Calgary Stampeders
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy