Will Lions Cut a Vet Before the Deadline

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Will Lions Cut a Vet Before the Sept 1 Deadline

Yes, 3 players or more
10%
Yes, 2 players will be cut
40%
Yes 2 players and one of them will be Carter
50%
Yes 1 player but no idea who
No votes
No
No votes
No and it will be a mistake that Hervey will regret
No votes

Total votes: 10
JohnnyMusso
Champion

If a vet is cut before Sept 1, they do not have to pay a salary for rest of year. Lions have 3 games before that date and could be 1 and 9 by then. I feel they will for if that player is not going to come back why keep him. They could use that salary to sign a NFL cut who has CFL experience.
Last edited by JohnnyMusso on Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I voted for option 3. I think Carter will be cut and replaced by a NFL cut with CFL experience, an impact player.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

If anyone takes in practices as well as the games you will see Carter is NOT the problem. The REC corps is not the problem but yah let's fix the team by dumping a vet. But in dumping salary with your season in the tank it'd not surprise me as he's not a national. I've taken in enough practices to know that Carter is not the problem, not a cancer, not a malcontent etc.

An NFL cut is not much of an option and BC has already picked up the RedBlacks tossed kick return - Lankford who was a casualty in OTT much like some want Carter gone.

By some standards SJ Green and Derel Walker and many more should be tossed from their teams.

Funny I'd have thought fans would want Willis dumped.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
JohnnyMusso
Champion

The question is not Do you want a Vet cut, but rather do you think a vet will be cut.

I disagree with you about the NFL cuts. Bringing them in for the rest of the year is a waste. What I mean is if someone good is cut like Calgary's former Middle Linebacker (forgot his name) Lions should seriously consider signing him for 2 or 3 year deal to improve their defence. Lions needs a ML, Herdman not getting job done and is not good enough. If order to do that they have to cut salary. Lions are 1 and 6 and probably will end up 3 and 15 or 4 and 14. They will need to improve the team. And if any NFL cuts can help the team and willing to sign for more than this year, Lions have to seriously it. They have to provide some hope and interest in the team for it is fading every week and by Sept 1, most people will not care, except the diehards.

The reason I mentioned Carter is likely he signed a 1 year deal and if Ed has no plans in resigning then why keep him. Same goes for other players. Lions need to make more changes than the minor one they did a week ago. Not enough.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Realistically you can't just bring in NFL cuts and it is plug and play. Even guys who go CFL-NFL-CFL usually go to their former team partially to return to familiarity and a place of former success because they did not have the advantage of learning systems in a TC.

When the PR is expanded later in the season, the new additions usually take until the following year's TC until they get in a game and make an impact. Depending on position, it can take that long to be comfortable with the nuances of the CFL game.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

So Dano and Toppy Van want do you suggest Lions just go status quo the rest of the way?

If they continue to lose, the cry for change will grow far greater. Even Mitt Stegal has been suggesting Lions need to make changes for they are not good enough. I agree with him. Making 1 change during the bye week is not enough. I am not suggesting they bring in many NFL cuts, but if they can bring in 1 or 2 players that could help the team for the future then they need to. Going status quo till off season is not good enough and if that is the path Ed takes, he may be looking for a job next year and Claybrooks too if they win only 3 to 5 games this year.

If I was the owner I would not be happy spending the max to the cap and finishing dead last in the CFL which could happen.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions need to bring in new players to give the rapidly diminishing fan base some hope for the future.
David
Team Captain

Where are you guys suggesting these players come from? Meaningful NFL cuts won't be for another month at least. Fact is, we have been bringing in guys, but mostly CFL vets (Dozier, Butler, Lankford, Roy), with a couple of CFL rookies (Cheridor and Wright) mixed in.

Riders just cut a receiver named K.D. Cannon that my buddy who's from Saskatchewan is lamenting. Thinks he will be the real deal. Blazing speed and good hands. Believes he could haunt Riders for years to come.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

There is no Sept. 1 deadline for releasing veteran players. There is a sliding deadline based on games played. For veterans with six or more years of service, the deadline is nine games into the season, whenever that date happens to fall. For veterans with lesser service, the deadline is 10, 11 or 14 games.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:53 pm
There is no Sept. 1 deadline for releasing veteran players. There is a sliding deadline based on games played. For veterans with six or more years of service, the deadline is nine games into the season, whenever that date happens to fall. For veterans with lesser service, the deadline is 10, 11 or 14 games.
For vets of 6 or more seasons including the current season their contracts become guaranteed if they are cut AFTER the 9th game which means they would have to be cut after the upcoming Hamilton game and before the Winnipeg game.

For vets of 5 or more seasons including the current season they would need to be cut before the 10th game.

For vets of 4 or more seasons including the current season they would need to be cut before the 11th game.

For vets of lesser service contracts are not guaranteed, only medical benefits become guaranteed if cut before the 14th game.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Thanks for clarifying. I knew there was a deadline, just thought it was Sept 1. Never knew it was so complicated.

Looks like right now, Lions unlikely to cut anyone for they would have done it by now. Seems they will go Status Quo with a little bit of tinkering rest of the way with the roster and coaches and in off season make major changes .
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I'm just going to say if they lose 2 of the next 3, then cuts will be coming. The cuts should come from positions that aren't very effective anyway. Defensive line, Offensive Line, are the two most likely areas where cuts could happen. I wouldn't think that a Reilly trade would be out of the question either. There are some teams here that would want a top tier QB. Ottawa, Hamilton come to mind. Save the salary, get some picks and pieces that you need later and see what QB you can pickup for next season in the off season.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:22 pm
I'm just going to say if they lose 2 of the next 3, then cuts will be coming. The cuts should come from positions that aren't very effective anyway. Defensive line, Offensive Line, are the two most likely areas where cuts could happen. I wouldn't think that a Reilly trade would be out of the question either. There are some teams here that would want a top tier QB. Ottawa, Hamilton come to mind. Save the salary, get some picks and pieces that you need later and see what QB you can pickup for next season in the off season.
While things have gone off the rails this season and much of the blame is on Ed for gutting the team, a further gutting now or in the off season would seem to be like starting over. But more importantly it would amount to an admission by ED that he made a lot of wrong decisions (he probably did) but Ed's position will likely be that it is a good roster, the players just need to work harder and so do the coaches and blah, blah, blah.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

To be honest, I'm not sure that a "starting over" isn't exactly what is required. A clear thoughtful analysis of where the deficiencies are and finding a way to get personnel to fix them. You are probably right. Admitting that you screwed up putting your team together is probably not with the capability of the Lion's brain trust. Has been that way for years now.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Carter interview on local CTV prior to last Riders game here.

Carter notes that when a team is losing is that the focus is on stats.

Also on dad and why fans mean a lot to me.

Lives in Yaletown. Loves the city.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1738 ... Id%3D89531
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy