Are We Now Officially the Worst?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

The Argo's pulled off an upset win tonight against the 5 and 1 Bombers. Arguably one of the strongest teams in the league currently. Given that our only win came against these same Argo's and was as much a product of their mistakes as anything, should we now consider ourselves essentially the basement dwellers? For my money, the Argo's look to have more going for them overall as a team than do our Leo's.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

We are clearly the worst team in the league.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

in spite of the lions beating the Argos, I have for the last 4 or 5 weeks felt that the Argos would do better than the lions by end of year. sigh
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Absolutely and I'm convinced there are some serious coaching issues in BC. This team stumbled out of the gate but has somehow regressed since. Hell, that week 1 loss to the Bombers looks really good right now.

Definitely some personnel issues too, especially on defence, but way too many guys from even last year's team look terrible.
Farhan suggested this week the Lions may look at starting 3 imports to address their o-line issues. Really? This was considered easily the Lions greatest national strength going into the season. That falls on Bryan Chiu and Jackson for a massively underperforming unit that has many of the same faces from a year ago.

Claybrooks' personality may have been a nice compliment to Dicksenson as the Stamps DC and it probably would have been with a all-business Wally-type figure still in charge in BC. On his own it's been a dumpster fire reflective in a group of uninspired and underperforming players.
squishy35
Legend

We are the worst... yes... we now have conclusive evidence.
Dusty
Champion

I'm willing to wait until after the Hamilton game before venturing an opinion, but I do expect that our ranking for next week will slide to 9th after the games finish this week.

It looks like we are putting a little bit of gauze over the deep cuts that are bleeding profusely, so I'll be very surprised if the bleeding actually stops. Personally, I think that we will need more aggressive treatment to stop the bleeding, but so far, I have not seen many steps (if any) in that direction.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I agree we are worse than the Argos and I fully expect them to lose against Hamilton. Their defence really looks good and will feast on Reilly.

Lions have surprisingly been very quiet this week. Other than the trade on Sunday, they have made no other moves. If that is the only move Ed Hervey makes during this bye week, then no doubt the losing will continue. Seems right now, Hervey is all talk and no action about telling the players they will be replaced. No roster player has been cut.

If Masoli did not get hurt, this upcoming game would be a blowout. With Evans, likely will be close but I think the Tiger Cats defence will win it for them. Also Lions will be at David Braley's the night before having their annual team barbeque with the owner. Last year, they came out flat in the game the day after. This year who knows.
David
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:26 am
Claybrooks' personality may have been a nice compliment to Dicksenson as the Stamps DC and it probably would have been with a all-business Wally-type figure still in charge in BC. On his own it's been a dumpster fire reflective in a group of uninspired and underperforming players.
Did you happen to hear him on with Brook Ward and Ben Kuzma Monday morning? I know it was early in the morning of a bye week, but he yawned right in the middle of the interview. Twice.

When he first arrived on the scene, he charmed everyone with a good sense of humour and friendly demeanour. While I care far more about how prepared the football team is than how he wears his hat, there have been a lot of negative comments on social media about that, and I am becoming increasingly wary of just how many repetitive, cliche answers he's giving to basic interview questions.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
pennw
Legend

We are the worst team in the league . We have the worst offense and the worst defense . This is not just a a personnel issue as some seem to think . Some are willing to admit this about our coaching on the offensive side . Few are willing to admit this same issue about our defense . We are actually worse off with coaching on the defensive side though . Jarious was forced upon Claybrooks for this season . But Stubler was HIS choice . In theory , Jarious being a young coach, has room for improvement and hopefully could actually get better .

This is not the the case with Stubler . This guy is at the end of his career and is highly experienced so people tend to not question him on that ground , to our detriment . They say it's the players , they're not good enough , that's why our D is no good. But some of our hold over players from last year have seriously regressed under the Stubler system and now look very inferior , when some of them were all-star calibre previously . That is on Stubler . And seeing how he has made very good players no good , how do we know that is not the effect on other players as well ? Will some of them move on elsewhere and prove to be good players down the road ?

So many past BC players now on other teams now look very good . Craig Roh , for instance , looks very good with the Bombers . The consensus on this board was that Roh was not very good. The consensus was wrong . Many think Boesen is no good , and admittedly I have felt the same way . But apparently he has done everything our DC expected of him and the coaching staff has been pleased with Boesen's performance so far . Perhaps Shawn Lemon would have regressed equally under Stubler , as have Davon Coleman and scapegoat Claudell Louis . Lemon is the only difference on the DL . Now the others are all no good ? Was Lemon that good ? A Cameron Wake calbre player perhaps? I doubt it . Just allowed to play instinctively last last year more likely . Is Boesen that dramatically inferior to Lemon ? I doubt that too (haircut not withstanding) .

Many criticized Wally Bouno in the past for blaming the players for short comings on scheme , now many of the same people do that same thing with the players on defense . No criticizing Stubler allowed , he has won championships after all . Funny thing is , so has Wally Bouno . But that is the past. It is hard I know , to admit you are wrong . Stubler was the choice for some coming into this season including Claybrooks . Now will Stubler remain the albatross around the neck of Claybrooks ? Will Stubler be back next year ? If so, BC will be the worst team next year too no matter who the OC is .

Ironically Mark Washington , the hated "Wally Guy" , is looking like a way better DC in Hamilton than our DC . In Hamilton it may now be up to their defense to carry their team with their starting QB being done for the season .
pennw
Legend

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:04 am
I agree we are worse than the Argos and I fully expect them to lose against Hamilton. Their defence really looks good and will feast on Reilly.

Lions have surprisingly been very quiet this week. Other than the trade on Sunday, they have made no other moves. If that is the only move Ed Hervey makes during this bye week, then no doubt the losing will continue. Seems right now, Hervey is all talk and no action about telling the players they will be replaced. No roster player has been cut.

If Masoli did not get hurt, this upcoming game would be a blowout. With Evans, likely will be close but I think the Tiger Cats defence will win it for them. Also Lions will be at David Braley's the night before having their annual team barbeque with the owner. Last year, they came out flat in the game the day after. This year who knows.

No doubt the Ticats are licking their chops playing BC next. A Stubler Defense is just the tonic Dane Evans needs to get his game going ! It should be a great confidence booster for him .
Lui05
Rookie

pennw wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:04 pm
No doubt the Ticats are licking their chops playing BC next. A Stubler Defense is just the tonic Dane Evans needs to get his game going ! It should be a great confidence booster for him .
I completely agree that we're the worst. I think every team out there feels the same way. That is the saving grace to increase the probability that we don't end the season 1-17. Probably not Hamilton next week, but I predict at some point this season, some team is going to take the week off and come into a game against BC unprepared and unwilling to work hard enough to win at the same time the stars align and we don't shoot ourselves in the foot.

I thought Toronto looked pretty decent for more than half the game last night.

From ESPN, the broadcast is cut right after the end so I didn't get to hear any of the panel after the game. Just out of curiosity, did anyone see if Dunigan ate any crow for his PAB (points after beatdown) comments from half-time? I think he was trying to be funny, but in general he was fairly incoherent during the segment so it didn't work. I think his talent on the panel has regressed over the years. Curiously, his colour commentator skills where he has to talk even do not seem as bad. I miss Chris Schultz.
I went to a restaurant that serves "breakfast at any time". So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance.

Steven Wright
swervynmerv
Legend

Absolutely we are. We almost blew the game we won against Toronto!

It’s been a long time since I have been this frustrated and embarrassed in the Lions.

It’s not fun to hear from fans of other teams how bad we are. Especially after an off season that held such promise.

Lots of blame to go around but I still put the goat horns on Ed Hervey.

I’m tired of seeing players contribute to teams this year that were cut loose by the Lions.

Last night in the Rider game Sol E, Cory Watson and Cody Fajardo all made and impact in their come from behind win. I’ll give Ed credit on Manny cause I think he was right on that one.

Hervey chose this roster, got rid of many Lions that were still effective and better than what we have now.

It’s gonna be a long year and I can’t imagine more than 4-5 wins at best.

Oh well, I guess I’ll have lots of time to do other things this fall than watch Lions games.
BC 1988
Legend

David wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:11 am
SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:26 am
Did you happen to hear him on with Brook Ward and Ben Kuzma Monday morning? I know it was early in the morning of a bye week, but he yawned right in the middle of the interview. Twice.

When he first arrived on the scene, he charmed everyone with a good sense of humour and friendly demeanour. While I care far more about how prepared the football team is than how he wears his hat, there have been a lot of negative comments on social media about that, and I am becoming increasingly wary of just how many repetitive, cliche answers he's giving to basic interview questions.

Thanks for the link--it was in the 7am hour of the show. First yawn is about 1/2 way through, with another one a minute later. (Then the call almost dropped off). I noticed he was late getting on the phone (from the full hour recording).

What really bothers me is that he no doubt has talent on the defensive side of the ball, but it's Stubler's show, not his--what's the point?

I wish he had taken the job when it was offered to him in MTL to at least show he could make HC level decisions.
David
Team Captain

BC 1988 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:23 pm
I wish he had taken the job when it was offered to him in MTL to at least show he could make HC level decisions.
Maybe it is nitpicky of me to point out a guy yawning a couple of times in a radio interview, but it's not that common. LOL, can you imagine Wally yawning while talking on TSN1040 radio? Not likely!

To add insult to injury, a guy like Khari Jones steps into the job in Montreal without even an off-season to put his stamp on the team, and has the Alouettes playing really inspiring football.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
RoDun
prospect

Def the worst, Toronto, more so their D, was at least playing hard despite not being good, and now they've beaten Wpg who had been red hot