I'm taking time off from the site -- WestCoastJoe

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Larry Key
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:26 pm
Belize City Lion wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:17 pm
Hey WCJ, hope to see you back here one day very soon. I've always enjoyed your very thoughtful analysis of all things Lions. Take care of yourself!
ditto
:rockin: :rockin:
BC 1988
Legend

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27274
I found the thread where WCJ left in 2013. (My first post is on page 3 of the thread).
Maybe history will repeat itself? I for one, am grateful he decided to return back then (but no pressure!!).
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Thanks, Guys.

The comments and sentiments are much appreciated. Everything is fine. Normal life stuff.

At times one has to narrow the focus. There are priorities.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:57 pm
To steal a line from the kid talking to "Shoeless" Joe Jackson during the Black Sox Scandal "Say it ain't so Joe!".

I'll miss your contributions. I may not have always agreed but absolutely always respected the passion and thought put into them. I respect that a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do and hope that your absence is brief.
Thanks, Hambone, That is a good one. I love baseball history. God Bless, Joe Jackson. I have a friend who has a charming saying, in conversation. She always asks: ''Is that so?'' In this case, it is so.

Hambone, your passion or zeal for the Lions and the CFL, is greater than mine. It brings to mind this quote from before the American Civil War, an area of history I have enjoyed studying.

Frederick Douglass said of John Brown:

“His zeal in the cause of my race was far greater than mine – it was as the burning sun to my taper light ..." Your zeal for CFL football is greater than mine, and mine is considerable.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:17 pm
I found the thread where WCJ left in 2013. (My first post is on page 3 of the thread).
Maybe history will repeat itself? I for one, am grateful he decided to return back then (but no pressure!!).
Thanks, BC 1988. No pressure. Ha ha Much appreciated.

Blitz
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:08 pm
Take care, Joe, and thanks for all your contributions to the site over the years. I hope you can come back refreshed when the time is right, and I hope there's some good football to talk about or at least some good discussions to be had.
I echo B.C. Fan's comments. You have been a key contributor as well as a leader for this usually excellent football website site.

I'm sad you are taking a break because you will be sorely missed.

I'm hoping very much to see you back on Lionbackers at some point in the future and to be able to read your insights and thoughts again.

Take good care.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:47 am
B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:08 pm
Take care, Joe, and thanks for all your contributions to the site over the years. I hope you can come back refreshed when the time is right, and I hope there's some good football to talk about or at least some good discussions to be had.
I echo B.C. Fan's comments. You have been a key contributor as well as a leader for this usually excellent football website site.

I'm sad you are taking a break because you will be sorely missed.

I'm hoping very much to see you back on Lionbackers at some point in the future and to be able to read your insights and thoughts again.

Take good care.
Thanks, Blitz.

Right back at ya, Man. After every game, I am always impatient to read your views. Schemes, personnel, philosophy, you've got it covered. Plus you are a good guy. Nothing wrong with that. Ha ha. We have supported each other on here, and that is never forgotten.

I will still look forward to your detailed, insightful analysis. Don't forget to check your email on here. I know I forget to do that.

Joe

JohnnyMusso
Champion

Joe I have a suggestion for you. Why don't you just post occasionally after Lions football games or after big news like a firing or major player cut or traded? Posting once a week probably will give you the time away you need and still give you a bit of a football fix. I have a feeling the rest of the season is going to get really interesting.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:03 am
Joe I have a suggestion for you. Why don't you just post occasionally after Lions football games or after big news like a firing or major player cut or traded? Posting once a week probably will give you the time away you need and still give you a bit of a football fix. I have a feeling the rest of the season is going to get really interesting.
Thanks, Johnny.

I was just thinking I have a couple of threads running. The Nissan Rankings. The Week 8 thread. They might need some updating. I know whom I would recommend for that work. You. I am kind of kidding, as I would not put that pressure on you. Although anybody is welcome to carry on.

Thanks for your thoughts. I have enjoyed your contributions since you joined.

But although my decision was fast, it was deeply held, to the core. I had helped a friend picking up his car. His comment on what my attitude should be to participating in this site was two words, very sharp, very familiar. Later that night I started to think about it. Then I tentatively started to write the post. Then I sat and pondered it, seeing how it felt, careful to not accidentally push the button. It resonated in all my cells. Without a doubt, I pushed the enter button. Done. And that was that. I am out of the line of fire, of trolling, of sniping, of conflict. No second thoughts. My friend was right.

Blitz writes detailed post-game comments. But they rightfully take some time to compose. I am usually able to rattle some stuff off quickly right after the game, as post-game comments. BCFAN has initiated those on occasion. Go for it, Johnny.

All the best.

Joe

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

squishy35 wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:40 pm
You are a valuable and respected contributor to this site WCJ. I hope you are back soon. I enjoy your posts.
Ditto for me.

You've always been a positive, helpful contributor to this site and your understanding of the game is superb. You've also been supportive of those attacked by the overly personal attacks.

These forums should be fun and not a source of stress.

Yes, as we get older some things seem bigger than they should be and sometimes small things we'd ignore when we're busy on other things get magnified - speaking personally here as well.

While it can be hard not to take things personally, my movie hero (met him once in a Sausalito pub) Clint Eastwood has a great response to those who offend us with their WRONG opinions lol:

"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
David
Team Captain

Very sorry to learn about this West Coast Joe. Your keen football insights have been an integral part of this site. I don't know if people recognize all of the efforts you put into your posts, from finding links and screen grabs to breaking down line play to detailed post-game analyses.

Unfortunately, your assessment of our club's woes was always spot-on and unfailingly thorough :wink: (kidding about the 'unfortunately' part of course....such is the dumpster fire that is the 2019 thus far).

This site was clearly a passion for you. Sad to read that the passion is gone, but I do hope you return when the time is right.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:55 am
squishy35 wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:40 pm
You are a valuable and respected contributor to this site WCJ. I hope you are back soon. I enjoy your posts.
Ditto for me.

You've always been a positive, helpful contributor to this site and your understanding of the game is superb. You've also been supportive of those attacked by the overly personal attacks.

These forums should be fun and not a source of stress.

Yes, as we get older some things seem bigger than they should be and sometimes small things we'd ignore when we're busy on other things get magnified - speaking personally here as well.

While it can be hard not to take things personally, my movie hero (met him once in a Sausalito pub) Clint Eastwood has a great response to those who offend us with their WRONG opinions lol:

Thanks, Toppy.

You are always very supportive. A genuine good guy. I respect your background, views and experience as a coach and person in the business world.

Big? Small? It depends on enjoyment, and overall satisfaction. When that is gone, one looks elsewhere.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:07 am
Very sorry to learn about this West Coast Joe. Your keen football insights have been an integral part of this site. I don't know if people recognize all of the efforts you put into your posts, from finding links and screen grabs to breaking down line play to detailed post-game analyses.

Unfortunately, your assessment of our club's woes was always spot-on and unfailingly thorough :wink: (kidding about the 'unfortunately' part of course....such is the dumpster fire that is the 2019 thus far).

This site was clearly a passion for you. Sad to read that the passion is gone, but I do hope you return when the time is right.

DH :cool:
Thanks, David.

You are always very supportive. Balanced views. A very loyal fan.

True, my views did not avoid the failings of the team. Ha ha Usually with the coaches and management. I sympathize more with the players. They were chosen for the battle. They put their bodies on the line. They follow orders, to the best of their ability. Not good enough? Gone.

Passion? I suppose. To me, it seems more like energy. See something; comment on it. Football analogy: "See ball. Get ball." LOL But what seems like energy to me, focused on football, is, I suppose, passion. It does not take that much to kill passion for something, or energy. It happens. Life goes on. You re-direct energy.

Thanks again, David, for your unfailing support. You are a rock.

Robbie
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:17 pm
You beat me to it, BC 1988. I was just about to find that thread.

But it looks like there are several other past frequent posters on this board who suddenly disappeared without any kind of announcement, unlike WCJ.

Such examples include:

sj-roc - last post: Nov. 5, 2017
Solar Max - last post: Feb. 3, 2016
Soundy - last post: Nov. 26, 2011
Lionheart - last post: Oct. 31, 2016
bc49 - last post: Oct. 4, 2013
Canuck_4_Life - last post: March 1, 2011
LFITQ - last post: May 12, 2016
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
pennw
Legend

So long Joe , count me as one of those who enjoyed and appreciated your contributions . You put a lot of time into this and were passionate about it . I completely understand you needing a break from this . Internet forums can take a lot out of a guy . Best wishes Joe