I'm taking time off from the site -- WestCoastJoe

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Lionbackers,

I've got some family stuff I am dealing with, including some with health issues, although my own health is fine. And I am not dealing with conflict well, or willingly, at this time. I am no spring chicken either. Although I am retired from the work force, I spend a lot of time on extended family financial considerations, and all that stuff that seems to get more involved as we age. That brings its own stress level, especially in this uncertain economic and political climate. Everything is manageable, but my energy resources are more limited. Leading to ...

The conflict in the post-game thread after the latest loss for our Lions does it for me, as noted in the title. I am trying to avoid conflict at this time in my life. Could I continue? Yes, but I will not. I am choosing to not be part of conflict. I am choosing to not contribute to it. Since it seems I cannot avoid it, as it sometimes seeks me out, moreso lately, I am out of here. Values can change. What is worthwhile for an individual as a pursuit can change. A friend said, in very strong terms, that I should not put up with it. When I thought about it later Monday night, it became a very easy decision for me. Done. I really do not want the conflict. Other interests will take precedence.

As is obvious, I enjoy expressing opinions on football. But it has to be enjoyable. I do not like arguing, never really did. Nobody changes their mind. And styles of communication can be very different, as we know. As can motivations. I have tended to express my own opinions, not in opposition to anybody else's post, but just with my own view. I have tended to post a great deal, and that seems to put me into some situations that come my way.

Could I shoot it out in a debate? Oh yeah. I participated in a good debate at university. 2 people on each side. Contract Law. But that is not my interest here. Different environment. Arguments really. And provocation. Not to my taste. Disagreeable to me. Leading nowhere, except to bad feelings. Could I be rude? Oh yeah. Have been at times in my life. Not what I want here. And I do not want to contribute to it, or be part of it.

Quickest, best solution is to take time off. I was thinking of just cutting back my input, but this is better. Cold turkey.

Will I be back? Dunno. We will see. With the club's poor performance, it will not be all that difficult to do without blogging football. 4 more months of CFL football. The time is right. Plus my hobbies and activities keep me very busy. Many members take breaks, some permanent. My turn. I do not live for the battle of ideas. At least not at this time in my life. I took a break a few years back, and returned a few months later. Not so sure this time.

I will follow the site to an extent, responding to emails, et cetera, as always. To those many on here I consider friends I say carry on with the good work. Many truly enjoyable posts and times.

Special thanks to David, for his unfailing support and general goodwill. And Toppy, always supportive and fair minded. Many others.

17,694 posts since 2006. Many threads started, with much good discussion. That is enough.

I am out of here. Feeling fine. God Bless, All.

WestCoastJoe

(Post is in the CFL Football forum. That is where I spent my time.)
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Hey WCJ, hope to see you back here one day very soon. I've always enjoyed your very thoughtful analysis of all things Lions. Take care of yourself!
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Take care
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Belize City Lion wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:17 pm
Hey WCJ, hope to see you back here one day very soon. I've always enjoyed your very thoughtful analysis of all things Lions. Take care of yourself!
ditto
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Al the best Joe. And wish your family well with their health issues. Hope to see you back one day when time is right.

I understand that some forums can add to stress. In 2007, I belonged to the John Fogerty forum that had no moderators at that time or ones that just let people say whatever they wanted. Some members there were very strong in their opinions and insulting and eventually it became too stressful and I quit and never joined any forums for years till this one, which is only forum I belong too. Thankfully it has moderation and rules and people are respectful of each other, though we may disagree.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Ditto to what BCL just said. I hope that you will find your way back before too long. Your contributions to this forum are extremely insightful and we will be a poorer community for your absence. I hope that the challenges you are dealing with resolve themselves in the best ways possible.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Take care WCJ.

Probably not much value, but my approach to internet forums is: "Strong Opinions, Weakly Held".
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Joe, I have just posted the link (on another thread) to a wonderful happy relaxed conversation with Travis Lulay (speaking with Matt Baker) -- and noted the change (evident in his tone) from the stressful days of being so much in the middle of things game in and game out. Changes can be good as rests. In your case it's both a change and a rest I suppose. Here's hoping we someday hear from you again, when you're feeling refreshed. I've always enjoyed your voice in the mix here. Your insights and your style and your sense of humour were unique. Your contributions will be missed. All the best to you and yours.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Thank you, Guys. Your posts mean a great deal to me. I am fine, liberated in fact.

All the best.

That is a good one, Dano. Ha ha. It has value.

I did a quick search. The best I could come up with was this.

''It is not truth, but opinion that can travel the world without a passport.'' -- Walter Raleigh
Belize City Lion wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:17 pm
Thanks, BCL.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Take care, Joe, and thanks for all your contributions to the site over the years. I hope you can come back refreshed when the time is right, and I hope there's some good football to talk about or at least some good discussions to be had.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:08 pm
Take care, Joe, and thanks for all your contributions to the site over the years. I hope you can come back refreshed when the time is right, and I hope there's some good football to talk about or at least some good discussions to be had.
Thanks, Lorne. A voice of maturity and wisdom. All the best.

And Thanks to those who have emailed. Goodwill means everything.

The_Pauser
Legend

Take care. I hope everything gets better with your family.
Roar you Lions roar!
BC 1988
Legend

All the best WCJ--your family and responsibilities to them are far more important than what goes on here. It's ironic, when I joined this site in late 2013--after years of lurking--you were pondering whether to come back from a brief absence.

I've never gotten into it with anyone here because I am no student of the game and have only watched football for entertainment. I enjoy hearing viewpoints of both those who can dissect the game and just casual fans like me.

The knowledgeable posters (and there are quite a few) are the big draw for me. It would get kind of boring without them (if everyone was like me here).

Take care Joe--if you can find a way to re-connect but stay on an even keel with the rest of your life-don't be a stranger. If not, thank you so much for everything you've contributed to this site.
squishy35
Legend

You are a valuable and respected contributor to this site WCJ. I hope you are back soon. I enjoy your posts.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

To steal a line from the kid talking to "Shoeless" Joe Jackson during the Black Sox Scandal "Say it ain't so Joe!".

I'll miss your contributions. I may not have always agreed but absolutely always respected the passion and thought put into them. I respect that a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do and hope that your absence is brief.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.