Who Will be Fired First

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Who Will be Fired First

Jarious Jackson
29%
Rich Stubler
13%
Taylor Altilio
16%
Bryan Chiu
16%
DeVone Claybrooks
13%
Ed Hervey
13%

Total votes: 31
Fred.Fonce
Rookie

I voted for Hervey.
Worked for a company that changed CEO’s. New guy came from the outside. We started to make bad personnel decisions, bad balance sheet decisions, bad operating decisions and the culture changed almost overnight from a collegial collaborative one to a nasty back stabbing one. We didn’t all fall off a turnip truck overnight, but the guy at the top did. He couldn’t be challenged on anything so executives started to give him what he wanted, those that did survived, those that didn’t.....
I’d never have believed how one “leader” could have such a negative impact, but if it can happen to a multi billion, multi national, it sure as hell can happen to a football team.
Could it be that Hervey has created a culture where everyone is walking on egg shells and making lousy decisions? Hmmm
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Fred.Fonce wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:37 pm
I voted for Hervey.
Worked for a company that changed CEO’s. New guy came from the outside. We started to make bad personnel decisions, bad balance sheet decisions, bad operating decisions and the culture changed almost overnight from a collegial collaborative one to a nasty back stabbing one. We didn’t all fall off a turnip truck overnight, but the guy at the top did. He couldn’t be challenged on anything so executives started to give him what he wanted, those that did survived, those that didn’t.....
I’d never have believed how one “leader” could have such a negative impact, but if it can happen to a multi billion, multi national, it sure as hell can happen to a football team.
Could it be that Hervey has created a culture where everyone is walking on egg shells and making lousy decisions? Hmmm

You are certainly right about changing CEOs and the potential for disaster. I've seen it both ways where a change has led to big improvements and a turnaround that lasted for years and two other CEOS from outside who followed on the basics and ramped these up from the first CEO I worked directly for who got fired for a bad year (But he was retirement ready anyway).

The culture in the Lions team is not one of walking on eggshells based on what I see when I stop by at practice nor fear of the GM.

The GM knows he set the table and decided all the ingredients in for the dinner and the Head Chef (HC) and cooks and he's out on the ledge as it's clear by his decisions on QB and other players being let go, he's on the hook for all of that. To date the HC gets a pass as he 's come with a great reputation and the decisions on top players were made by one guy - ED H.

The culture in the team is set by the HC primarily as he sets the tone and the coaching staff make it happen. Right now - for me- that culture is not as easily identified as it was in the Wally Buono era where even us fans knew Wally's philosophy and he'd get rid of players before they best before date but those there knew it was perform or else.

Now I'm not sure of the performance oriented culture in this team as ST players blow lane coverages and DEF players aren't making big plays. It's like they know they're not at risk given the budget and who's out there now. THIS MIGHT BE UNFAIR.

We'll see tonight if it's a work in progress.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

exactly who is responsible for seeing that Reilly doesn't get hit so much?

Reilly
QB coach
O-line coach
RB coach
Rec coach
OC
HC
GM
Brailey

somebody needs to go.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

There simply needs to be some realignment of coaching responsibilities:

> ST- for sure. Put him aside and get someone strong in that role. Nik Lewis is a teacher and players respect him and he's not afraid to speak to players and correct them.

> I'd like to see evidence that someone other than just Jackson is calling plays as JJ gets in a rut as he tonight. Abandoned the run game too early as had he continued running like in Hamilton the Lions might have won this but for....

> lousy kick coverage.

It's not that they're all ex-players too soon - I think it's the culture where coaches who know better need to have some voice.
David
Team Captain

Where is the option for:

All of the above. Yesterday!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I'm surprised that Altillo has only 3 votes given how lousy the Special Teams have been this year.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Bryan Chiu finished second on this poll and wins it for he was the first fired and likely will not be the last.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

How the ST coach has his job still is a mystery to me.
Dusty
Champion

Toppy Vann wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:34 pm
It may be as simple that there is no readily available replacement, unless Stokes moves up. Personally, I think that there should be a reassignment with Lewis taking over ST. Given the Calgary history with Atillio, I do not expect a change in ST coaches this year.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Dusty wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:02 pm
Toppy Vann wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:34 pm
It may be as simple that there is no readily available replacement, unless Stokes moves up. Personally, I think that there should be a reassignment with Lewis taking over ST. Given the Calgary history with Atillio, I do not expect a change in ST coaches this year.
You are reading my mind. It's less firing them outright and more about reassignment like a new OFF play caller or at least show fans that these other OFF coaches actually have input when Jackson gets in a rut and goes predictable vanilla. In soccer we call that playing in channels.
Reggiemac
Rookie

Im thinking that Claybrooks has a lot of input into the D. And maybe a problem confusing the team. Just a thought. Like who does the D report to? You can put a group of all stars together and still have to get them to play as a team and we dont seem to have a lot of talent on the D. The Offense was supposed to score big points while the D came together. At least that's how they spent the big bucks. I would like to find out if the O would play better for Grant .Kraemer. But I believe R eilly gas a clause in his contract that doesnt allow the Lions to try that out. We wouldnt want to hurt Reillys feelings by making him compete for that starting role.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Reggiemac wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:38 am
Im thinking that Claybrooks has a lot of input into the D. And maybe a problem confusing the team. Just a thought. Like who does the D report to? You can put a group of all stars together and still have to get them to play as a team and we dont seem to have a lot of talent on the D. The Offense was supposed to score big points while the D came together. At least that's how they spent the big bucks. I would like to find out if the O would play better for Grant .Kraemer. But I believe R eilly gas a clause in his contract that doesnt allow the Lions to try that out. We wouldnt want to hurt Reillys feelings by making him compete for that starting role.
Claybrooks is a great DEF coach and according to Dickenson - a good delegator.

I've noticed more of a leadership role by the HC on the DEF at last week's practices. I very much doubt he's confusing them as Stubler is less a teacher but more of a defensive structure coach - leaving the individual stuff to others.

Based on practice I honestly thought we'd see better DEF this game.

It's personnel and execution on the DEF. No BIG play makers on the D line or at LB or DB with TJ Lee who they seem to avoid being one who could make INTS.

LOL Reilly clause. But you're right. Reilly won't share the reps and Grant Kraemer usually tosses some passes post practice to back up REC. I think it'd be good if we played more than 1 QB but that is not Danny O'Brien as he's a clone in pocket passing to Reilly and doesn't look like a runner. If I were Kraemer I'd be asking my agent to get me outta BC.