Who Will be Fired First

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Who Will be Fired First

Jarious Jackson
29%
Rich Stubler
13%
Taylor Altilio
16%
Bryan Chiu
16%
DeVone Claybrooks
13%
Ed Hervey
13%

Total votes: 31
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Given Hervey's contract status and salary cap implications he would be first in line. I would say the looming NFL cuts will be pivotal. Up until now his recruting outside of the league has been terrible.

They have to find some potential impact players for the defensive front 7 that can be dropped into the line-up almost immediately. Obviously other upgrades needed as well. Lions working against season ticket renewal campaign which usually starts end of September. There needs to be some kind of optimism or new direction going into 2020.

The club could even promote from within to replace him in Neil McElvoy — Wally's right hand guy for years who was supposedly being groomed to replace him until the surprising hiring of Hervey. If anyone knows how Wally worked as a GM it's him.

Hardly sold on Claybrooks but his buyout is significant for a club that's going bleed red this year.
pennw
Legend

Adding the Coleman give away to the mess already present on defense , sure hoping it's Stubler who gets fired first.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

No one is getting fired here.

There are talent issues here and maybe the Stubler DEF is a challenge as of yet but it shouldn't stop the pass rush if you have the horses up there - and the Lions don't have them!

DBs not even attempting to make a big play is a concern - no risk to receivers/QBs that BC will intercept a ball.

I watched and heard Nik Lewis coaching Wayne Moore on how to catch a punt as he was letting it bounce off of his chest. Nik's a good coach but maybe needs to be up in that booth with Jackson calling the plays - although last game was better.

STs need massive improvement other than Lankford whose speed is getting him outside.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
pennw
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:24 am
There are talent issues here and maybe the Stubler DEF is a challenge as of yet but it shouldn't stop the pass rush if you have the horses up there - and the Lions don't have them!
Davon Coleman was an All-Star last year . Same guys as last year except Lemon and they were a pretty good D-line last year . 2 guys of that group now made scapegoats , first Claudell Louis and now Coleman . And Lemon of course they didn't want earlier . When scapegoating of previously good players starts to happen ,instead of admitting coaching possibly being the problem , how can it not bring down the moral of the other players ?
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Toppy Vann wrote:
No one is getting fired here.

DBs not even attempting to make a big play is a concern - no risk to receivers/QBs that BC will intercept a ball.

I watched and heard Nik Lewis coaching Wayne Moore on how to catch a punt as he was letting it bounce off of his chest. Nik's a good coach but maybe needs to be up in that booth with Jackson calling the plays - although last game was better.

STs need massive improvement other than Lankford whose speed is getting him outside.
Maybe now no one will get fired, but once the season is over, there likely will be 1 or more guys fired if season continues down the path it is heading. And I agree with above poster, Stubler's defence is a big challenge and the problem. Many guys having bad years under his system and 1 now traded and Louis being benched and likely will be again this week in favour of Charles Wright and David Menard.

And some coaches deserve to be fired including Stubler, Taylor A and Jarious Jackson. Add to the list Ed Hervey who is the creator of this mess and whose contract is up at the end of the season. If David Braley is ailing, then not only does Rick L have the authority to sell the team, but maybe to decide on Ed Hervey''s fate at the season's end. Last 2 days, Hervey brings back 2 players he deemed not good enough at the beginning of the year. Too many mistakes made and it may cost him his job.
maxlion
Legend

I would give Hervey another chance next year. He hired a guy who was the consensus choice as the best coach available, signed the best available qb, and brought in some high profile free agents. It is true that it has been a disaster and the season is all but lost, and no doubt that Hervey made mistakes, but major change can be unpredictable. Most observers thought Claybrooks was ready. Time will tell if he can turn things around or lose the team completely. Best case scenario is that he makes some progress and comes back better next year. Otherwise, it will be another year of major change.
pennw
Legend

maxlion wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:04 pm
I would give Hervey another chance next year. He hired a guy who was the consensus choice as the best coach available, signed the best available qb, and brought in some high profile free agents. It is true that it has been a disaster and the season is all but lost, and no doubt that Hervey made mistakes, but major change can be unpredictable. Most observers thought Claybrooks was ready. Time will tell if he can turn things around or lose the team completely. Best case scenario is that he makes some progress and comes back better next year. Otherwise, it will be another year of major change.
I agree , Hervey , based on his record prior to this year , should be given a chance . I also think Jarious Jackson earned a reprieve with last weeks game . His offense was pretty good and should have had a win if not for Stubler's defense . Of course that was only one game but you don't fire some one right after they have a good performance and that sends a wrong message to the rest besides . That was after a bye , JJ did the work and came up with something new that worked . In doing that he showed he could improve and he is still a young coach .
The same can't be said of Stubler , he stuck to his guns and blamed the players instead , unlike Jarious refusing to do any self evaluation during the bye by the looks of it . And now the scapegoating comes in to buy himself time .
At the start of the season I had high hopes like everyone else , until Claybrooks hired Stubler that is . That to me took my expectations way down , hoping I was wrong all the while . I hoped that with Claybrooks input Stubler could maybe give us a decent defense , but those hopes are rapidly fading away . Now I think Stubler may just sink Claybrooks head coaching career instead .
Wally Bouno definitely was right about Stubler , firing him after Stubler lost BC the play off game vs Saskatchewan . People should re-watch that game and see the same thing we see now with the Stubler defense .
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:10 pm
Toppy Vann wrote:
Davon Coleman was an All-Star last year . Same guys as last year except Lemon and they were a pretty good D-line last year . 2 guys of that group now made scapegoats , first Claudell Louis and now Coleman . And Lemon of course they didn't want earlier . When scapegoating of previously good players starts to happen ,instead of admitting coaching possibly being the problem , how can it not bring down the moral of the other players ?
Very valid points. We should always raise eyebrows when good players all of sudden go into the tank.

With Coleman - I look back at the practices I attended and reviewing the video in my mind - he did look out of sorts and did some things that were n't positive. He was the player interrupting a serious practice on punt catching I mentioned a few weeks back. I didn't name anyone at the time as I thought it might be a one off incident but there were other things (very small) - that make me wonder now how happy he was.

If nothing else maybe the Lemonator comes back fired up. That happens too.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Whether, Hervey is back depends upon how the final 10 games go. If Lions make progress and win 3 or 4 games, then he may earn himself another 2 year contract. However, if they continue to find ways to lose, then he may be fired if our record is 3 and 15 or worse.

If Lions are sold, then I think he will be fired for new owners will want their own people.

The most likely scenario is some of assistants, in particular the special team teams may lose their jobs after the season, if they are on 1 year contracts. Jarious Jackson cannot be judged on one game. If the offence continues to play well, then maybe he earns a new contract, but if it was an one off and he goes back to his old ways, then he has to go.

Rich Stubler deserves to be fired too, but the problem is he is Claybrooks friend and mentor and I cannot see him being fired, He has to resign or retire. Don't be surprised if he comes back next year unless Hervey pressures Claybrooks to let him go.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Let's not carry away with Jarius Jackson. One game does not make him a good offensive coordinator. He was here last year and the offence was less than inspiring.
pennw
Legend

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:35 pm
Rich Stubler deserves to be fired too, but the problem is he is Claybrooks friend and mentor and I cannot see him being fired, He has to resign or retire. Don't be surprised if he comes back next year unless Hervey pressures Claybrooks to let him go.
That is what I was referring to and why I said that he may end up taking Claybrooks down with him .
pennw
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:44 pm
Let's not carry away with Jarius Jackson. One game does not make him a good offensive coordinator. He was here last year and the offense was less than inspiring.
I don't think anyone said that . Certainly not what I was saying . I said he earned a reprieve , for now , with that performance . And that you don't just fire a guy right after a good performance and meant that it buys him more time . Of course he has to follow that up with more good games . That is obvious . But in the mean time he did show he could bring up a good game, and that game was in a different time zone against a team that BC does usually not do well at all in their stadium . BC got killed there last year .

With young coaches sometimes it is wise to let them grow into better coaches , if they show that potential . Mike O'Shea once again comes to mind . They could of fired him after 2 seasons . Also Stephen Mcadoo , OC of the Riders , had all the same criticism against him as Jackson , earlier in his career . He was constantly criticized for his "RPO" offense too and judged equally inept by many . Now he has become a respectable OC over there and is a big part of their success with Cody Fajardo as his QB .

Bombers went may years of constant turn over and failure , as have other teams . BC could very well fall into that pattern . Sometimes smaller changes made to get the mix right is what is needed instead of complete overhauls . If the BC defense doesn't get it right by seasons end than I think Stubler would have to go , or it could well be curtains for all of them . Of course this true for Jackson as well , but last game he did show some light at the end of the tunnel , some potential . He doesn't have years of experience behind him like the other guy . That indicates possible upside ahead unlike the other guy .
yukonlion
All Star

Jackson has done the same thing over the last few years, including this year, after a bumpy start we had a good O game against Calgary then reverted to same old after that (including shuffling the O line which played well) until the last game when they looked good, i predict he goes back to his same old boring O as has been his MO over the past few years. RE Stubler, his stubborness did cost us that western playoff against sask and I'm tired to hear how the players arent grasping the system, you can see them on the field thinking and not attacking... and brutal down the 4th quarter stretches... like many players weve already let go that have found starting jobs elsewhere, a lot of our players would get picked up by other sif we let them go. Also time to let carter go, hasnt made one contested catch this year, need some new blood, I liked augistin in the preseason. We also need to spread the ball a little more to Cottoy and Shaq... keep the D guessing.., heres hoping...
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Mike Reilly at McMaster speaking to 3 Down:

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Duron Carter with 3 Down on Mike Reilly and the situation.