Who Will be Fired First

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Who Will be Fired First

Jarious Jackson
29%
Rich Stubler
13%
Taylor Altilio
16%
Bryan Chiu
16%
DeVone Claybrooks
13%
Ed Hervey
13%

Total votes: 31
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I still think Ed Hervey will be the first to go, because I don't think he will fire any assistants this season and Lions will finish with their worst record since the 3 and 15 season.
MikeAK
All Star

I voted Jackson but I think it won't be until end of season and he probably won't be alone.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:25 pm
I still think Ed Hervey will be the first to go, because I don't think he will fire any assistants this season and Lions will finish with their worst record since the 3 and 15 season.
The GM hires the HC, the HC hires his assistants, except that OC Jackson was forced on Claybrooks. So the GM does not fire assistant coaches the HC does.

Somewhat similar thing with players-brought in and signed by the GM, evaluated by the HC and then kept or cut by the HC.

I believe in giving rookie HC at least a season. I seem to recall Lancaster starting out as a horrible HC in his first year in Sask but then going on to an outstanding coaching career in Hamilton.

I would like to see Jackson fired asap but there is no one to replace him, and changing an O in mid season is very difficult to have any success doing it.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I disagree you could replace him with Drew Tate. Ottawa lost their OC late and replaced him with their receivers coach and he is doing a pretty good job. Season is lost so how much worse could he do? It is all about making a statement that this is not good enough.

Rumour was Buono was the one who fired Chaps and Stubler way back when or was the one who gave the order. Hervey could suggest that to Claybrooks. Riders fired their Defensive line coach today.

I am sure you could find a temporary replacement. Maybe Travis Lulay. 66 yards passing last game. Would not take a lot to improve on that.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

I agree that it can't get any worse on O but if Tate takes over, at this point he is stuck with Jackson's playbook but at least there could be an improvement in play calling.

I don't see Lulay wanting to step away from his position on the corporate/community side of the organization. Lulay strikes me as a very organized detail type guy who is going to want to come into an OC job, especially as a rookie coach, with a very detailed playbook that is his and that he believes in. He knows how bad Jackson's playbook is as he had a miserable season last year playing under it.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:53 pm
I disagree you could replace him with Drew Tate. Ottawa lost their OC late and replaced him with their receivers coach and he is doing a pretty good job. Season is lost so how much worse could he do? It is all about making a statement that this is not good enough.
REDBLACKS' website doesn't currently list an OC. However if what you say is true there is a significant difference. Ottawa's Receivers coach is former CFL WR/KR Winston October. He's in his 2nd season with the REDBLACKS after spending the previous 11 years coaching in the collegiate ranks with Virginia Military Institute and Pinball Clemons' alma mater William & Mary. October is now in his 13th year in the coaching ranks. Tate's only experience prior to BC was a cup of coffee last year as a "defensive analyst" with Coastal Carolina.
https://www.thegazette.com/drew-tate-en ... e-20180617
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

Best we can hope for is an extra set of eyes to come in and be a consultant (like Huff did a number of years ago). JJ isn't going anywhere this year. He may be asked/told to change things up and add new wrinkles/schemes but get used to it boys, no new OC is coming in 1/3 of the way through the season!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:08 pm
Best we can hope for is an extra set of eyes to come in and be a consultant (like Huff did a number of years ago). JJ isn't going anywhere this year. He may be asked/told to change things up and add new wrinkles/schemes but get used to it boys, no new OC is coming in 1/3 of the way through the season!

DH :cool:
^^^Agreed. I don't know if there are any unemployed coaches around who could even be brought in as a consultant.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

The poll question is who WILL be fired first, not who SHOULD be fired first... so I will say Taylor Altilio. It's easy to fire the ST coordinator and it sends a message to the rest of the staff to shape up or else. Plus our ST are a mess.

If they have any room left in the operations cap, bring in Rolly to coach ST. God knows they could use his leadership in the room.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I feel Taylor Altillo needs to go and Stubler. Probably no change until end of season, but game after game these units costing the team.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

If you are looking at a coach and asking who could step in where easily. I would have to think Stubler. Claybrooks is a former DC. He could do that job as HC pretty easy. Finding a new OC might be a challenge and the teams, well if I had to look at the part of the team that has more riding on it for more of the game, it would be the D over the ST. So if a coach were to be let go at the moment, logic to me says it would be Stubler.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
pennw
Legend

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:18 pm
If you are looking at a coach and asking who could step in where easily. I would have to think Stubler. Claybrooks is a former DC. He could do that job as HC pretty easy. Finding a new OC might be a challenge and the teams, well if I had to look at the part of the team that has more riding on it for more of the game, it would be the D over the ST. So if a coach were to be let go at the moment, logic to me says it would be Stubler.
You are absolutely right !
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Belize City Lion wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:13 am
The poll question is who WILL be fired first, not who SHOULD be fired first... so I will say Taylor Altilio. It's easy to fire the ST coordinator and it sends a message to the rest of the staff to shape up or else. Plus our ST are a mess.

If they have any room left in the operations cap, bring in Rolly to coach ST. God knows they could use his leadership in the room.
Keep in mind the football ops cap isn't only monetary; currently $2.588M. It also caps the number of staff; 11 coaches and 14 other football staff with medical and athletic therapists being exempted. BC is maxed out on coaches. Not totally sure where they sit on "others" but are close to if not at max.

To add to the coaching staff means somebody has to be fired to make room. It also means paying an extra salary for the remainder of the year which they may or may not have room for. Even the idea of a consultant likely doesn't pass the sniff test unless there is a vacant spot on the "other" ops staff and the consultant is not at all involved with any aspects of coaching.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

That's why I think Stubler. If Claybrooks were to assume the DC role, it wouldn't necessitate hiring another coach.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

No way Claybrooks fires his mentor. Stubler may retire at the end of the season, but he is not going anywhere this season.