Riders 45 - Lions 18 -- Post Game Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

the bottom line is, no QB ever wants to be taken out. Unless maybe their last name is WAAHH(ROY) It is up to the coaches to not take no for an answer.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:35 pm
David wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:18 pm
MikeAK wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:38 am
Am happy to say I was at the game last night. Even during a loss the CFL experience in person is a lot of fun. I had a blast.

...Other than that though, the CFL is such a great live experience. I love it and wish there were more early start games so I could get there more.
Thanks for bringing this up, MikeAK. I think this point gets lost as we're almost all too emotionally connected to this club. As someone who attends all games, I can say with a degree of certainty the vast majority of people who attend appear to have a great time.

Are blowouts fun? Of course not. But that doesn't stop fans (and lots of kids) at Lions home games from mugging it up for jumbotron time, or belting out "Sweet Caroline" or flexing for the "Flex Cam." Hell, the Lions didn't even get booed yesterday during or after that pathetic performance.

Now, this doesn't mean this free fall won't affect attendance. It most certainly will. But I wouldn't say those that casually attend Lions games won't ever attend another one after a pitiful blowout. This is more the (over) reaction of long-time fans.

DH :cool:
The in-game atmosphere this year is much better than it has been in ages. Saturday’s crowd was bolstered by a lot of green jerseys but there were also many families with young kids and, according to the radio postgame show, the field was full of kids having a ball for an hour after the game.
One other thing that someone who hasn't attended a game in some time might not realize: no more drunken fights in the stands. I (thankfully) can't recall the last time I saw a disturbance at a game. Perhaps it speaks more to the typical age groups that are attending Lions games (older folks and families - not as many "yobs"), but regardless, that concept seems so early 2000's.

An idiot ran onto the field one time last year but that activity has really been curtailed too.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Couple of fans behind me were having fun with a couple of Riders in a row in front of me. They offered the Rider fans $5.00 to quit cheering. Pretty soon we all got in the friendly bantering. One fan offered the Rider fans a couple of beers and footlong hotdogs if they switched allegiance and cheer for the home team.
The_Pauser
Legend

David wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:52 pm
The_Pauser wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:16 pm
That’s fine. It’s hard to comment when you’re wrong. I get it.
That's offside, Pauser. We can respectfully have differences of opinion on this board without instigating with inflammatory comments like "you're wrong."

Instigating? First of all, when did telling someone that they’re wrong, when they’re wrong, become offside? Secondly, I didn’t instigate anything. When someone goes on about something, and then responds to me with the disrespect that WCJ showed me. That’s instigating. This isn’t a one off with him either. WCJ has been disrespectful towards me for years.
Roar you Lions roar!
KnightofCydonia
Starter

MikeAK wrote:
Am happy to say I was at the game last night. Even during a loss the CFL experience in person is a lot of fun. I had a blast.

[...]

Other than that though, the CFL is such a great live experience. I love it and wish there were more early start games so I could get there more. Being on Van Isl and the price of things today make going over for regular games almost impossible for me.
Agreed. I still enjoy going to games, despite poor showing on the field. I thought the last game had a good atmosphere, and with the earlier time there was a nice buzz to it. It's always nice seeing other Lions fans on the way to the game, as well as the regulars near our seats.
The_Pauser
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:36 pm
The_Pauser wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:46 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:48 pm
Yes, I think he undermined his Head Coach by not wanting to come out of the game. Was that selfish? Was it good for the team? Did it not put his health at risk? Did it prevent any opportunity for the backup to get needed game reps?
You call a player not wanting to come out of the game "undermining his head coach."

I call that being a professional. A competitor. A leader. He didn't want to abandon his teammates who weren't being pulled from the game. I don't blame him at all for that. I don't want a QB who wants to be pulled from the game.

I often harp on people here who criticize the coaching staff for everything (at least, that was under Buono). This is one situation where I have zero problem criticizing the coaching staff. Claybrooks is the HC. It's his decision to pull Reilly. If he's letting his players call the shots then he's lost the team.
Basically refusing to ever come out of a game even when you're banged up is not helpful if you consider the need for a back up to develop. Danny O'Brien is fine with being a back up and he and Reilly are tight and this is the back up Reilly wanted.

There are times when a back up simply gives the other team a bit of a different look - if that QB is not a clone like O'Brien is with Reilly. It also gives your team an impetus to play.

Cody Fajardo at half time was asked by TSN about the big hit he ran right into and his response was professional saying something like he needs to be less "selfish" and that's true. He recognized he has other players to grind who can do the job versus him having to look like a hero and grind out a few more yards. Getting injured isn't smart when you're the starter.

Selfish suggests no one else can do it if you can't do it.

Selfish says as long as your the QB no other QB can be developed. The Lions now no longer dress 3 QBs something they could still do and help that 3rd guy develop too.

Don't get me wrong. I have no issue with Reilly nor his desire to go down with the ship but a real pro move would be to realize that it's not working and let someone else get a shot.
Uh, Fajardo’s comment had to do with not putting himself in a position to get hurt. That’s completely different from a QB who wants to stay in the game because he doesn’t want to quit early and abandon his team. I realize there is a lot of groupthink that goes on here. But if Reilly were the type to just walk off the field and tell his coach that he doesn’t think he should go out for the next series or the rest of the game, that’s not a QB I want leading any team. And I’m sure people would criticize him for that too (and rightfully so).

Again, and I urge you to ask any pro athlete because I’m confident they will all agree with me, no athlete wants to be taken out of a game. When asked, no athlete will say “yeah coach, I think you should sit me.” It’s 100% on the coach to tell that athlete that he is coming out of the game. Claybrooks failed to do that in previous games, but at least got it right this week.

It is also not the responsibility of the starting QB to worry about getting his backup game reps. That’s such a ridiculous sentiment. That is solely the job of the coach. The starting QB’s job is to go out there and perform to the best of his ability, and to lead his teammates on the field. He’s not a coach. He’s a player.
Roar you Lions roar!
The_Pauser
Legend

KnightofCydonia wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:01 am
MikeAK wrote:

[...]

Other than that though, the CFL is such a great live experience. I love it and wish there were more early start games so I could get there more. Being on Van Isl and the price of things today make going over for regular games almost impossible for me.
Agreed. I still enjoy going to games, despite poor showing on the field. I thought the last game had a good atmosphere, and with the earlier time there was a nice buzz to it. It's always nice seeing other Lions fans on the way to the game, as well as the regulars near our seats.
I’ve been a season ticket holder for the past 14 years, and previously purchased several single game tickets. Despite the team being awful this season, and subpar for most of the past 6-7 years, I still look forward to every game and every season. At the very least it’s a fun night out with family, enjoying a sport I love.
Roar you Lions roar!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:59 am
David wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:52 pm
The_Pauser wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:16 pm
That’s fine. It’s hard to comment when you’re wrong. I get it.
That's offside, Pauser. We can respectfully have differences of opinion on this board without instigating with inflammatory comments like "you're wrong."

Instigating? First of all, when did telling someone that they’re wrong, when they’re wrong, become offside? Secondly, I didn’t instigate anything. When someone goes on about something, and then responds to me with the disrespect that WCJ showed me. That’s instigating. This isn’t a one off with him either. WCJ has been disrespectful towards me for years.
I have not wanted to discuss football with The Pauser from Day 1, trying to avoid confrontation and endless debate. Once in a while, it seems, I get roped in, quoted, and respond, hopefully in a non-provocative manner, with no insulting words, as I did in this thread when quoted and challenged by him. It is always a mistake on my part to make that response. Usually I just say: "No comment for The Pauser." That way, I acknowledge the post, and the poster, but do not engage in debate or discussion.

My last word on this issue in this thread, other than, perhaps, a no comment response.

Bye week. Looking forward to it. Hopefully Hervey and Claybrooks can come up with some effective changes.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Blitz
Team Captain

Because what has Reilly done that is a detriment to the team?

Jennings wasn't a good QB even when he had time. Like I said last year, he never looked comfortable, and he made plenty of poor decisions. I think his play in Ottawa this year has certainly proven Ed Hervey (and myself) right.

However, the problems are not mutually exclusive. Jennings could be a bad QB who is also being hurt by a bad system.

What has Reilly done to be called out as being a problem with the team?

The Pauser

Your statement about how we are going to struggle with Jarious's our statement about how we are going to struggle with Jarious's offense is also the reason why the blame shouldn't be put on Reilly.

I'm still trying to figure out why you write that Jennings 'never looked comfortable' (last season you called it 'deer in the headlights syndrome' and 'made plenty of poor decisions and in the same breath you did not blame Lulay and now Reilly for their quarterback play.

Last season Travis Lulay completed 61.1% of his passes, throwing for 11 touchdowns while throwing 13 interceptions (3.5 interception rate), and a quarterback efficiency of 84.8.

Jonathan Jennings last season completed 67.4% of his passes, throwing 7 touchdown passes while throwing 8 interceptions (2.9 interception rate) and a quarterback efficiency of 85.6.

So far, this season, Mike Reilly has completed 66.5% of his passes, throwing 6 touchdown passes while throwing 6 interceptions (2.6 interception rate) and a quarterback efficiency of 85.9.

Those statistics don't indicate to me that only one quarterback 'was not comfortable' and made 'plenty of poor decisions' and not attributable to anything else, while the other two quarterbacks play is attributable to everything else and they are not at fault.

It seems to me that once you make a comment, you can't ever admit error. There is nothing substantive, except for your subjective opinion, to support your notion and there is substance that indicates that all three quarterbacks have struggled almost equally in Jarious Jackson's system.

In terms of talent, our offensive line is actually better than last season's edition and our receivers are just as good or better .

The reality is that no quarterback, offensive lineman, tailback, or receiver is going to easily shine in Jarious Jackson's scheme. Its a plug and play scheme that does not favor our players strengths but instead seriously limits their play.

I have never blamed Jennings, Lulay, or Reilly for our poor offensive play last year or this year. Of course, quarterback play (challenging enough in Jarious scheme) also deteriorates under all the pressures, hits, and sacks, as well as playing from behind and wanting to make plays more desperately.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

penw wrote:

Claudell Louis was a very good DT last year , whose addition made the whole DL better. Davon Coleman was a great DT last year , who we made a trade to get (no he did not come from the EE) .He was very good the season before with Hamilton too .

Now both are no good? Claudell demoted to the practise roster? Made scapegoat ? I would bet both would look great again playing
for another team Like so many ex -lions .

I agree with you that both Coleman and Louis played very well last season and I sure hope we don't throw good players overboard again this year, as scapegoats for good team play.

Both Claybrooks and Stubler have coached championship defenses. Both coaches have their fingerprints on this season's defensive scheme because its the scheme that both have used in the past.

Its a complex or sophisticated scheme. The problem however, is that our defense had so many new players as well as not enough talent at defensive end to get a good outside pass rush.

Defensive lines, like offensive lines work together, and when a defense is not getting an outside pass rush, it impacts defensive tackle play.

Claybrooks/Stubler's defensive scheme is not conceptually problematic, as is Jarious Jackson's offensive scheme.

However, I do agree that the defensive scheme we are using right now is not conducive to our talent level.

For example, using a lot of disguised secondary coverages, with a lot of nuances works well when you have a good pass rush but without a good pass rush, those disguised secondary coverages become more problematic to execute.

The defensive scheme that Claybrooks and Stubler are using is also being hurt by our linebacker pass coverage. For example, there is a big difference between Alex Singleton covering a back running to the flat and Herdmann-Reed trying to do the same thing. We can't do that so we compensate and therefore get hurt.

Our entire defense is about compensating. We are trying to compensate for a weak pass rush, for poor linebacker play, for weak field side corner coverage, for weak safety play. When a defense begins compensating, its like dominoes. It all falls apart.

The reality is that no matter what scheme we use on defense, or what defensive coach coaches them, our defense does not have enough talent.

Its a different matter on offence. There is a lot of talent on our offence and its shocking that our offence has played so poorly. It takes a really bad offensive scheme and really bad play calling to play this embarrassingly on offence with the players we have.

7 first downs and 66 yds. on a 42% completion rate passing for an entire game is head shaking.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Jarious Jackson's failure to makes significant upgrades to his playbook and play calling in the off season has resulted in a horrible start to the season and arguably on Offense, the worst game in Lions history.

It isn't really feasible to fire a OC and start over on O in mid season and yet imo if the cancer (Jackson) is not removed or contained then the patient will die. Even though Claybrooks comes from the D side of the ball, the situation with his OC is such a mess that he needs to get involved in game planning and start calling at least a % of the plays. And he needs to read the riot act to his OC.

If Claybrooks can't figure out a way to overcome Jackson's ineptness, then it won't just be Jackson looking for work in 2020.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:22 am

Speaking of Benvides, I would like to see him replace Taylor Altilio as Special Teams Coordinator, whose units can charitably be described as "ill-prepared," giving up TDs, unable to stop fakes, taking untimely penalties etc.

You know things are bad when you want Benevides back.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:16 am
David wrote:

Speaking of Benvides, I would like to see him replace Taylor Altilio as Special Teams Coordinator, whose units can charitably be described as "ill-prepared," giving up TDs, unable to stop fakes, taking untimely penalties etc.

Bad would be if you wanted Tedford back.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

cromartie wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:16 am
David wrote:

It doesn't help ST when the Lions brain trust decides to move on from their team leading Special Teams tackler, Bo Lokumbo, who should also be a starting LB instead the stiffs that they have playing LB right now.
Lion Fan For Life
prospect

LOL.....All you Experts got your little panties in knot, when some guy said.....that any "HEAD" Coach that wears his Hat tilted to the side of his head, is someone that should not be a "HEAD COACH"!
It's a sign of Disrespect for that position, in a PROFESSIONAL environment.
Claybrooks should be coaching High School ball, NOT a Professional team in a supposed Professional League.
Claybrooks is solely responsible for every game that he has LOST, which is ALL of them, as that Toronto game was a Joke, and they should have lost that one as well.
Toronto screwed up, and that is the ONLY reason that the Lions have even one win.
This is not anyone's fault but Claybrooks.
He is the "HEAD COACH", and the buck stops there.
The Lions are a total Joke, they are simply Embarrassing, to say the least.
FIRE the Coach and replace him immediately with Lulay.
At least Lulay will not wear some Stupid Homie Hat, while trying to be one of the Boys.
Dress for success.
The Ghetto home boy look, might be Ok in Prep Ball, but it totally Disrespectful to the position of a Professional "HEAD COACH"!
Claybrooks has to GO!
NOW!!!!
Claybrooks is totally LOST and out of his League, when it comes to being a "HEAD COACH"!