Riders 45 - Lions 18 -- Post Game Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Q1

BC -- Reilly knocked down on play 1. Sacked on play 2. Punt. No visible adjustments to improve pass protection.

SSK -- 1st down. Powell run stuffed. FG 3-0.

BC -- White stuffed. Punt.

SSK -- Toomer good run down. Two out. Ryan huge punt.

BC -- Dump off dropped. Sack #2. Three guys meet at the QB. Safety. Suitor says take Reilly out at end of games that are lost. No adjustments.

SSK -- Purifoy TD return. 87 yards. Riders laughing. 12-0. ''Deja vu, all over again,'' says Cuthbert, quoting Yogi Berra. Ha ha.

BC -- 1st down to Burnham. Blitz. MR finds Burnham. Quick pass. Finally adjusting to pressure. Rutley for 8. Good run blocking. Stuffed - Penalties offset. BR 1st.

SSK 12-0.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Q2

BC -- Pressure, throwaway. FG. 12-3.

SSK -- Powell for 7. Fajardo 1st. Fajardo all day. WP for 9. WP 1st Running the ball down our throats. Shaq 1st. Defence a sieve. TD Moore beats Lee. All day in the pocket for Fajardo. 19-3.

BC -- Run stuffed. Sack #3. Reilly makes slow reads, looking deep. I am wondering if Reilly deserves a good share of the blame here. It seems he only wants to look deep, looking for 5,000 yards for the year.

SSK -- WP for 7. WP 1st. Fumble? As if that would matter. Claybrooks upset. Pointless. Embarrassing. Peters knockdown. CF first incompletion. CF 1st. Fumble? CF foolish to not slide. He got hit to the head also. BC ball.

BC -- Our ball. Yee haw. 33 yards offence. Knocked down pass. Penalty on Carter. He loses the hand fight. 2 out.

SSK -- Fake reverse on return. CF incomplete. (No signs our team will ever get better. Hervey laid an egg.) 3 man front, draw, broken tackles, TD. 26-3. Will Hervey fire himself? Ha ha. Claybrooks upset. As a coach he is a dead man walking. Farhan would be a much, much better HC.

BC -- The team knows they stink as a team. Two out.

SSK -- Pass blocked. CF gets out of trouble, Willis misses, 1st. WP for 3. WP for 6. CF 1st, but penalized. FG misses. Lankford return TD. 26-10. Will it matter, or is it just kind of a fluke? He does not have the Claybrooks flu. Could have been 33-3 with a SSK TD on the drive.

SSK -- Knee. 26-10 at the half.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The panel brings out all the antidotes to a pass rush, as discussed on here over and over. Part of it is Reilly wanting to go deep to get the 5,000, imo. Same reason he won't come out of games. It looks like we are in for one of the all time Lion stinker seasons. In the old days, coaches could get fired. Harder these days. Our team is completely lost. In the jungle, with predators everywhere.

''Selfish play by me,'' says Fajardo on his fumble. Agreed. Reilly does that, looking for long passes, not looking for outlets. And it affects his team. His team. It is his team, not Claybrook's team. He has much input into the game plan. At this point, after all the hits, he does not even look all that accurate on the long balls.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Q3

SSK -- CF slides. 2nd and 6, 1st down on short yardage. He goes for 5. Ha ha. 3 man front, CF all day. Punt single. 27-10.

BC -- Reilly does not seem to like the hot routes. Holding. Punt. 7th 2 out on 8 possessions.

SSK -- Incomplete, but roughing. D'oh. Claybrooks next job? Back to DC somewhere.

BC -- Will Claybrooks give backup QB some reps in this game? Not enough air to Durant. 1st to Burnham.

SSK -- Fake reverse on return for big yardage. Incomplete. Flag, roughing on Coleman. Frustration. Run. Down our throats. Powell walks in. TD. 34-10.

BC -- Lankford KR TD return. 89 yards. 34-18. Burnham convert. ''Onside kick,'' asks Cuthbert? Nope.

SSK -- Missed tackle. Run stuffed, but 1st. Shovel 1st.

34-18, end of quarter.

(BC 66 yards passing, 23 rushing.)

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Q4

SSK -- Fake punt. 1st. Tricked. Shameful lack of preparation. Gawd. NR 1st. Stopped. FG. 37-18.

BC -- Long pass inc. Sack. MR not looking for outlets, hot reads. It is always Reilly looking deep, as chaos surrounds him. 2 out.

SSK -- WP for 8. Easy 1st, WP. CF sidearm, 1st. Watson big gain. WP for 9. 1st. 1St. TD. 45-18.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

This team is a tire fire. More and more, I think Reilly deserves a good share of responsibility. He undermined his HC. He only wants to throw long. He wants to show how tough he is. He wants 5,000 yards passing. He has allowed himself to get mixed up, to the detriment of the team. IMO.

O'Brien gets to finish the game. Well, they changed that philosophy, for this game at least.

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:39 pm
Part of it is Reilly wanting to go deep to get the 5,000, imo. Same reason he won't come out of games.

Agreed. Reilly does that all game long, looking for long passes, not looking for outlets. ..........
You don't have any business making those kind of assumptions or insinuations.

Maybe it is just your frustration with the game, team, coaches ,etc that is making you do that?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:41 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Part of it is Reilly wanting to go deep to get the 5,000, imo. Same reason he won't come out of games.

Agreed. Reilly does that all game long, looking for long passes, not looking for outlets. ..........

Maybe it is just your frustration with the game, team, coaches ,etc that is making you do that?
Of course I have business making those judgments. Not frustrated. Disgusted more like it.

Tire fire, Man. Reilly deserves his share of the blame, imo. It is his team. He was given the keys to the car. Hervey. Claybrooks. Jackson. Stubler. Reilly. All deserve blame for the tire fire.

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:46 pm
KnowItAll wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:

Of course I have business making those judgments. Not frustrated. Disgusted more like it.

Tire fire, Man. Reilly deserves his share of the blame, imo. It is his team. He was given the keys to the car. Hervey. Claybrooks. Jackson. Stubler. Reilly. All deserve blame for the tire fire.
I don't challenge that Reilly is not doing well, just challenging your assumptions about his motives.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Ugly.
Unprepared.
Uninspired.
Untalented.
Undisciplined.

At least Ryan Lankford gave us something to bring us to our feet.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:54 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:46 pm
KnowItAll wrote:

I don't challenge that Reilly is not doing well, just challenging your assumptions about his motives.
Yes. You can call them assumptions. There is lots of evidence, however, to support my view. It must be Hell for a Head Coach, when you feel the QB runs the team.

Another opinion: I thought Joe Kapp undermined Dave Skrien as the team went down the gutter.

I was a big fan of Kapp's, by the way. I like Reilly too.

Not looking for outlets, just to go deep. How much influence has he had in the game plans?

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

No roll out, no wide runs, no max protection, no imagination, no offensive TDs. This offense is unwatchable, so I did some laundry and ironing while keeping an eye on the game. Looks like I'm gonna get a lot of housework done this season.

Jarious Jackson should be embarrassed to cash his paycheque.
aklawitter
All Star

I've lived through some anemic teams, this is the worst I've seen
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Sad times for this franchise. This was the last thing it needed and the repair job is massive.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

You are missing the forest for the trees WCJ. This isn't a Reilly issue, this is an overall pathetic organization. Lousy owner, lousy coaches, lousy GM. There is zero emotion. Zero direction. Zero talent.

It all starts on the O and D lines and we have neither.