Worst lions gm ever?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Kapp?
Galat?
Hervey?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I would say Joe Galat. He took a 1st place team and destroyed it. He fired Matthews and took over and he was a terrible coach.

Kapp was bad too, Galat worse.

Hervey was good last year, but terrible this year. Will be interesting to see what he does during the bye for changes are coming. Someone on their starting roster is going to get cut. Or a trade Is coming, maybe with Toronto who needs to shake things up too.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I would say a tie between Kapp and Galat. Kapp for hiring Larry Kuharich and Galat for firing Matthews and getting rid of Doug Flutie. (I think it was Galat)
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:36 pm
I would say a tie between Kapp and Galat. Kapp for hiring Larry Kuharich and Galat for firing Matthews and getting rid of Doug Flutie. (I think it was Galat)
I think Galat was long gone before Flutie showed up. However all the players he gave up to get Dunigan is my biggest beef against him.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
JohnnyMusso
Champion

It was Obie that got rid of Flutie. Galat traded for Dunnigan and Kapp traded him away 2 years later in a bad trade to Toronto where only 1 player played for BC more than 1 year.
Huge Talent
Starter

Not sure who exactly this was directed towards, but Milt Steagle on the tsn broadcast tonight:

"Something needs to change with that bc lions organization."

Pretty cutting words if you ask me. And hard to argue. I'm not excited about going to any more games... Even as a hardcore season ticket holder!
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

While I agree that it is either Galat or Kapp, imo Adam Rita deserves a Dishonourable Mention.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I'm going with Galat for the simple reason that he abandoned the team mid season. A really bad example of character IMO.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:57 am
I'm going with Galat for the simple reason that he abandoned the team mid season. A really bad example of character IMO.
Galat quit on Montreal. He was fired in BC.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:00 pm
It was Obie that got rid of Flutie. Galat traded for Dunnigan and Kapp traded him away 2 years later in a bad trade to Toronto where only 1 player played for BC more than 1 year.
Obie may have been the GM of record when Flutie was dealt but make no mistake that was all on Pezim. He didn't want to pay what it was going to take to keep Flutie. He was already bleeding too much money with his "toy".
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
RoDun
prospect

I was to young /not into football for those other guys, pretty hard to imagine anyone worse than Hervey, who has drafted no one, brought in no young import players. Hard to win without any youth
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:17 pm
JohnnyMusso wrote:
Obie may have been the GM of record when Flutie was dealt but make no mistake that was all on Pezim. He didn't want to pay what it was going to take to keep Flutie. He was already bleeding too much money with his "toy".
I don't blame Pezim for passing on paying Flutie the big bucks especially in view of the fact that the owner in Calgary in the end reneged on Flutie's contract and didn't pay the big bucks either. I do credit Pezim with being the guy to convince a somewhat reluctant Flutie to come to the CFL and play for the Lions.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:04 am
Hambone wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:17 pm
JohnnyMusso wrote:
I don't blame Pezim for passing on paying Flutie the big bucks especially in view of the fact that the owner in Calgary in the end reneged on Flutie's contract and didn't pay the big bucks either. I do credit Pezim with being the guy to convince a somewhat reluctant Flutie to come to the CFL and play for the Lions.
He also was a factor in bringing in Major Harris that same season. Harris was touted to be "the guy". Flutie's signing was not heralded with the same hullaballoo as Harris'. Until he actually started getting playing time Flutie was still looked at more with a combination of curiosity and skepticism than anything else.

And how did all that work for The Pez? BC attendance declined a whopping 15000+ per game the first year after sending Flutie to Calgary. That trade was the beginning of the end of Pezim's ownership as he would not make the second half of the first post-Flutie season. He declared bankruptcy around Labour Day 1992.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.