Attendance Predictions - Lions and Riders, July 27

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

See who comes closest. I'm going with...

Afternoon games in the summer do the club no favours. It is still perceived as "going indoors" despite that sunroof that is rarely open. I also keep hearing that afternoon games "allow fans from the Island to come over and leave same day." While that is nice, I don't think it brings in locals. Not sure how many Islanders either.

Cloudy and cooler weather tomorrow could help with the walk-up (it can't hurt), and Family Day hype is out there, but the club's W-L record is the biggest stumbling block.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I heard it's the first night of the fireworks festival and there's also a Backstreet Boys concert across the street at Rogers Arena. Transit Police are gearing up for a busy night. I'm glad it's an early start to avoid the worst of the crowds but the summer games are still tough sells. I have no insight into ticket sales but I'd be pleasantly surprised if the announced crowd surpasses 20,000. I'll guess 19,568.
squishy35
Legend

23,000 All the local rider fans will be there to see the Lion's O-line get owned again....
VictoriaFan
Starter

17,500 i'd come over from the island if they didn't suck so bad
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Huge Talent
Starter

I think we might see the lowest turnout to a riders matchup in some time. Announced might be decent, butts in seats another matter.

Announced: 20,500

Actual: much lower
David
Team Captain

I just checked TicketMaster tonight and they have moved A LOT of endzone seats (both ends) in the last 24 hours. Should easily be over 22,000.

Revised prediction. 22,295

I wonder where the money for the guaranteed $100,000 50/50 draw is coming from? Is some of this leftover from previous games?

Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:38 am

I wonder where the money for the guaranteed $100,000 50/50 draw is coming from? Is some of this leftover from previous games?

Probably unclaimed money. Lions announce the 50/50 so late in the 4th quarter that a lot of fans have left because the Lions are being embarrassed by their opponent.
Matt Baker
Rookie

David wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:18 pm
See who comes closest. I'm going with...

Afternoon games in the summer do the club no favours. It is still perceived as "going indoors" despite that sunroof that is rarely open. I also keep hearing that afternoon games "allow fans from the Island to come over and leave same day." While that is nice, I don't think it brings in locals. Not sure how many Islanders either.

Cloudy and cooler weather tomorrow could help with the walk-up (it can't hurt), and Family Day hype is out there, but the club's W-L record is the biggest stumbling block.

I suppose my friends in the ticketing dept. can best answer the question but I wouldn't be too quick to assume a 4PM start automatically means a massive fleet from the Island.
David
Team Captain

Matt Baker wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:06 am
I suppose my friends in the ticketing dept. can best answer the question but I wouldn't be too quick to assume a 4PM start automatically means a massive fleet from the Island.
Yes, that was my point Matt. I keep hearing about afternoon starts "allow fans from the Island to come over." Certainly a nice sentiment, but not sure how many actually do in relation to how many locals are turned off by afternoon starts. I am not convinced that anything other than a 7:00pm start on Saturdays works in this market (with Thursday night games being the worst of course).

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:23 am
I am not convinced that anything other than a 7:00pm start on Saturdays works in this market (with Thursday night games being the worst of course).
Yes, I've had the same conversations with Rick LeLacheur and he agrees. League commitments to televise games on Thursdays and Fridays dictate some variety in the schedule but the Lions have done their best to stick to Saturday nights as much as possible. Rick and I jokingly agreed that an ideal schedule for the local market would be made up entirely of Saturday night games after Labour Day, when interest in football of all sorts picks up dramatically.

There is also a TSN commitment to televise CFL and Whitecaps games, which often means back-to-back telecasts of the local sports franchises on Saturdays. This week, for what I belive is the first time this year, the Lions and Whitecaps play at roughly the same time (the Whitecaps play on the road at 5 p.m.) so their telecast has been bumped to TSN2.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:34 am
David wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:23 am
I am not convinced that anything other than a 7:00pm start on Saturdays works in this market (with Thursday night games being the worst of course).
Yes, I've had the same conversations with Rick LeLacheur and he agrees. League commitments to televise games on Thursdays and Fridays dictate some variety in the schedule but the Lions have done their best to stick to Saturday nights as much as possible. Rick and I jokingly agreed that an ideal schedule for the local market would be made up entirely of Saturday night games after Labour Day, when interest in football of all sorts picks up dramatically.

There is also a TSN commitment to televise CFL and Whitecaps games, which often means back-to-back telecasts of the local sports franchises on Saturdays. This week, for what I belive is the first time this year, the Lions and Whitecaps play at roughly the same time (the Whitecaps play on the road at 5 p.m.) so their telecast has been bumped to TSN2.
They'll announce 20,970.

Rod Black last Saturday on the Bro Jake show questioned the wisdom of the earlier start this season. He wasn't disagreeing with bye weeks but overall felt it was unnecessary and attributes some of the slow starts in some teams to that given the number of changes in franchises in coaching (BC, TOR, OTT presumably) .
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Can't edit my post but to clarify, the comment by Black was not questioning the need for bye weeks but the unnecessary early season start this year which in part he suggests is hurting some of the teams.

And quite frankly in my view, the quality of the games on TSN when you get TSN deliberately showing disinterested fans in OTTAWA in the first half only to have the panel trash the game as "hard to watch" at the half.

Not sure that viewing stats will be helped as I normally watch all the games but found it very difficult this year including BC games.

Toppy, on the top right of your post across from the time stamp, you will see a box with three dots. Click on that and you will see a drop-down menu. You will see "Edit" there. You can then go in and do all your changes.

Mods
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Huge Talent
Starter

Regarding the early start. This was the one night that it was a good thing. Fireworks night, and a concert at the Rog. No thanks. Happy to get out of dodge by 7.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

You can check your fifty fifty on line after the game. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing