Gainer the Gopher in Trouble For Latest Antics

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Wow, did I get a laugh out of this article, posted below.

Seems like Gainer the Gopher in it a bit of trouble. He brought a stuffed lion onto the field, pulling it by its tail, then he kicked it, and then spread its legs, grabbed it in an 'inappropriate spot' and then punted it.

I broke up laughing when I read that the Riders have talked ot Gainer 'about the incident and taken his stuffed Lion away" Now that's firm discipline. :)

I have to admit, there was a part of me, when reading the article that I wished that Gainer (not literaly) had kicked Jarious Jackson and Ed Hervey in a spot that might be enough to shock them into getting the neurons in their heads working.

On a more serious note, I found Gainer's antics amusing, except for the 'crotch grab' of the stuffed Lion. After all, football is still a family affair for some.

But at least Gainer has some spirit. B.C. Place is like a graveyard to watch Leos football these days at times.

As a die hard Leos fan, I find it demoralizing. In the meantime, we can always complain about Gaior.

The Saskatchewan Roughriders mascot Gainer the Gopher came under fire Saturday night for his actions during the club's 38-25 home win over the B.C. Lions.

Gainer the Gopher is in hot water once again.

The Saskatchewan Roughriders mascot came under fire Saturday night for his actions during the club’s 38-25 home win over the B.C. Lions.

After the game, the Lions tweeted a video of Gainer walking on to the field pulling a stuffed lion by the tail. The mascot threw then kicked the lion before spreading its legs and grabbing it in an inappropriate spot before punting it.

Gainer then grabbed the lion by the tail and flung it over his shoulder as he walked off the field. That prompted some people to voice their displeasure on social media regarding the mascot’s actions.

“We agree that Gainer took it too far during Saturday’s game against B.C. Lions,” the Riders said in a statement. “We’ve talked to Gainer about it and taken away his stuffed lion.”

It’s been a rough start to the season for Gainer. The Riders’ mascot since 1977 drew much criticism for his new look at the club’s home-opening 32-7 win over the Toronto Argonauts on July 1.

Many Saskatchewan fans were unhappy with the changes to the gopher’s appearance, notably his slimmer body and green eyes, The hashtags BringBackGainer and NotMyGainer trended on Twitter and an online petition asking him to be changed following the Toronto win generated more than 4,375 signatures.

Prior to the Riders’ 37-10 home loss to Calgary on July 6, the team unveiled a second makeover for the mascot. Before the opening kickoff, the CFL club posted a video on social media showing Gainer removing his short-lived green contact lenses and throwing them into the garbage before heading to the field with black eyes similar to his original look.

And Saskatchewan fans seemed to agree with the move as the mascot’s pre-game introduction drew a loud ovation from the Mosaic Stadium faithful.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions should resurrect Jerome the Gnome that lives under the Dome for Saturday's rematch and punt Gainer
almo89
Legend

I know the crotch grab was innapporiate, but couldn't help but chuckle when I saw the video.