Games of Week 7, July 25 - 27, 2019

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Schedule

2019-07-21_1627.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

CGY @ OTT. Take Calgary.

TOR @ EDM. Take Edmonton.

WPG @ HAM. Ooohh. Tuffie. Gonna root for Andrew Harris.

SSK @ BC. Hmmm. The head says SSK. The heart says BC. Leave it at that.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://leaderpost.com/sports/football/ ... d-home-set
Saskatchewan Roughriders eye sweep after beating B.C. Lions 38-25 in first game of home-and-home set

The Riders beat the Lions 38-25 on Saturday in the first half of a home-and-home set with the Lions

MURRAY MCCORMICK, REGINA LEADER-POST Updated: July 22, 2019

The Saskatchewan Roughriders are halfway home in their home-and-home series with the B.C. Lions.

Boosted by a stellar defensive effort, the Riders captured the first half of the set with a 38-25 win over the visiting Lions before an announced crowd of 31,602 at Mosaic Stadium on Saturday.

The Green and White’s thoughts are now on the finale, set for Saturday at BC Place.

“Back-to-back is a trap game,” noted Riders middle linebacker Solomon Elimimian.

“Guys who have been part of the back-to-back understand that you have to refocus and not think you’re up 12 points or whatever points it is. When we go to BC Place it’s going to be 0-0 against the same team that lost.

“We can’t go into the week having the mindset that we’re going to win there easily. Guys have to leave their egos at the door and just come to work hard and come to work prepared to work. That’s how you approach it.”

Saskatchewan Roughriders defensive back Loucheiz Purifoy, no helmet, celebrates an interception with his team in a game against the B.C. Lions in second half action CFL action at Mosaic Stadium. TROY FLEECE / REGINA LEADER-POST

Defensively, the Riders simply have to look at what they did against the Lions and repeat it at BC Place. Most notably, Lions quarterback Mike Reilly was sacked four times, including three by defensive end Charleston Hughes.

Reilly completed 31 of 40 attempts for 346 yards and one touchdown, in addition to rushing for a major, but wasn’t able to finish drives for the most part.

“When (Mike Reilly) is comfortable he’s very good and even when he’s uncomfortable he’s good,” Riders head coach Craig Dickenson said. “He’s the leader of that team and we need to make him uncomfortable and make him move from the spot. If he can stay in one spot all day, he can hurt you.”

Saskatchewan Roughriders linebacker Cameron Judge pressures B.C. Lions quarterback Mike Reilly in second half action CFL action at Mosaic Stadium. TROY FLEECE / REGINA LEADER-POST

The 35-year-old Hughes helped keep Reilly on the move by bringing pressure. Along with the aforementioned sacks, Hughes forced two fumbles and had a career-high 10 defensive tackles.

“I’ve played with a lot of good players from my nine years in the league and Charleston is one of the savvy, better defensive ends around,” Elimimian said. “You forget how old he is, but he doesn’t show his age. One thing he has a knack for is getting to the quarterback.”

Hughes leads the CFL with eight sacks and now has 122 total sacks over his 12-year career, with the Calgary Stampeders and Riders. He wasn’t available for comment after Saturday’s game.

Elimimian had a solid outing in his second consecutive start with the Riders after being sidelined with a calf injury. He had seven defensive tackles, two tackles for losses and a sack. He spent nine seasons with the Lions before being released on April 30 and signing with the Riders on May 9,

“For me, I always look at the plays that I didn’t make,” Elimimian said. “When I watch the film, it’s ‘how do I get better?’ and ‘what are the plays that I missed?’ ”

Saskatchewan Roughriders head coach Craig Dickenson in first half CFL action at Mosaic Stadium in Regina. TROY FLEECE / REGINA LEADER-POST

FAKE FIELD GOAL FLUB

One play that the Riders missed was an attempted second-quarter fake field goal. Holder Jon Ryan connected with running back Kienan LaFrance on a nine-yard pass that resulted in a first down.

The play was negated after LaFrance was penalized for being an ineligible receiver. Dickenson accepted responsibility, adding that officials need to be supplied with the uniform numbers of eligible players playing ineligible positions on punt coverage and protection.

Dickenson, who doubles as the special-teams co-ordinator, had moved LaFrance to the offensive line in protection and forgot to inform the officials of the change.

“I owe Kienan a beer and I owe Jon Ryan a beer,” Dickenson said.

JohnnyMusso
Champion

Calgary, Edmonton, Hamilton and the Riders.

I just don't see Lions winning this. Just too many problems and the pressure to win will be high which could lead to lots of mistakes because of nerves.

I almost hope they do lose, for then with the bye week coming, Ed Hervey likely will make some changes or a trade to shake up the team. A win and they could say we are on the right track and no changes needed.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

not easy to lose back to back but I have faith the lions can do it.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
JohnnyMusso
Champion

On the CFL site, the writers give their predictions and 5 of 6 are going with the Riders to win. Here is the breakdown:

SSK at BC

In the second half of a home-and-home series, BC is essentially looking to keep its season on track.

The Lions currently sit at 1-5 on the year, but their lone win came against the winless Argos. BC’s offence has had some real trouble producing as of late, due in part to the offensive line, which has allowed 21 sacks on the year. Head coach DeVone Claybrooks says he’s still trying to get all the pieces to mesh together, and the team will start to become one with every passing game.

Saskatchewan is coming off a win over the Lions in Week 6. They managed to put up 38 points in the victory while getting a standout performance from Cody Fajardo. Charleston Hughes also had a massive game on the defensive end, finishing with 10 tackles, three sacks, and two forced fumbles.

BC will be in “do-or-die” mode on Saturday, as they’ll need to win in front of their home crowd to avoid yet another loss.

PICK

Writers: 83% SSK

Fans: 64% SSK
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Media picks for Week 7

2019-07-24_1958.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://3downnation.com/2019/07/25/3dow ... the-coast/
Saturday, July 27
Saskatchewan at B.C., 7 p.m. EST

Dunk: B.C. has burned me. RIDERS
Hodge: The Lions keep sinking. RIDERS
Alfieri: All the way from France. LIONS
Ballantine: B.C.’s pylon squad gets chewed up by Saskatchewan’s D-line. RIDERS
Filoso: Until B.C. proves it can protect Reilly, I’ll keep picking against them. RIDERS
Gasson: Riders avoid the late start. RIDERS
Smith: New verse, same as the first. RIDERS

RIDERS 6 LIONS 1

2019 records
Alfieri: 17-6
Ballantine: 17-6
Hodge: 16-7
Smith: 16-7
Gasson: 13-10
Filoso: 12-11
Dunk: 11-12

David
Team Captain

Can't says I blames them! As Filoso states, "Until B.C. proves it can protect Reilly, I’ll keep picking against them."

Davis Sanchez was on TSN1040 radio early this morning. He put it more on the players. Thinks Jarious is a great young coach and has an outstanding future in this league. Head coach material. Says not much talent separates us from Winnipeg but they've been together a long time. Continuity is key.

Not surprisingly, critical of O-line. While reluctant to 'name names' to replace, he does think Foucault lacks the foot speed. Hard to find guys now with nimble feet. They're all in the NFL, he said.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

When Steward was a rookie playing left tackle I thought he had great footwork resulting in an ability to keep himself positioned between the D end and the Lions QB. Then he injured his foot-twice- so maybe that is why he was shifted to guard as perhaps he no longer has the foot speed??