Will Hervey and Claybrooks Be Back Next Year?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnnyMusso
Champion

If Lions continue to lose and have a poor record, 5 wins or less will both Hervey and Claybrooks be fired? What are your thoughts?

My feeling is Hervey will be fired. His contract is up and how can you reward failure? Someone will have to pay for a bad season after some predictions had the Lions winning the Grey Cup. Some much hype and promise and opposite has happened.

As for as Claybrooks how long is the contract he signed for? 2 or 3 years? That could buy him another year unless a new GM wants his own coach. I could see them firing some assistant coaches and maybe adding more experience on the staff for next year.

Will Hervey reach out to Wally Buono for advice?

I think Lions problems run too deep and I just do not see them turning it around. This team reminds me of the team that finished 3 and 15. It could happen again.
CardiacKid
Legend

I suspect both will be back, simply for the fact we have absentee ownership and Hervey’s reputation will still have previous accomplishments intact to go with the recent blemishes.
I hope Claybrooks remains for a couple of reasons. One, I do believe he can succeed as a HC and be a credit to the league. He strikes me as the antithesis of a Chris Jones, namely the kind of guy who courts controversy and always seems one step away from fleeing to greener pastures. Two, the CFL needs infusions of talent into the coaching ranks as much as it needs playing talent. I agree with other posters that he would likely benefit from having more of an “edge” to his coaching disposition and not allow Reilly so much say.

Hervey is a conundrum like he has always been. But (and yes this does sound like 20-20 hindsight) I felt he got played in the Free Agent sweepstakes by the Eskimos Brock Sutherland. It was never going to be a stretch to assume the Lions were going to be all in with the Reilly lottery and really were never going to consider anyone but him.

Sutherland says okay to Reilly shopping his wares early and gets a solid idea of what he can get in FA based on Reilly’s new contract. Probably an over simplification but for the price of Reilly he gets Harris and Ellingson, along with Larry Dean and Don Unamba. Retooled offence and retooled Defense; both with All-Star players.

Hervey kinda played himself into a blind alley with really only one option.

If Hervey doesn’t survive the season, I can’t really think of too many options. Jean-Marc Edme, the RedBlacks director of player personnel gets good press.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Both should be given time to right the ship.

Review the recent history of the Bombers and how they called for the head of Mike O'Shea.

Now look at that team.

Review the recent history of the Alouettes and instability produced little in the way of results as when you're in turmoil there are limits to who you might attract who knows what they're doing.

As of this week Khari Jones as HC and A/GM has got his team on the field collected and confident and playing like a team. Vernon Adams though needs to be told that his big block is NOT ON in future. I think that play he led Jeremiah Johnson was for him to run interference not to lay his passing shoulder/arm into that back.

Stability is important.

Review, Rethink and Realign is the way forward.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Hervey might get a 1 year extension because he will argue that this was really his first season with total control (no WB). Claybrooks will be back for the same reason Jarious kept his job, the operations cap. The Lions won't be able to eat his salary and hire a new HC, unless maybe they can get someone like LaPolice to be HC and OC. There is nobody on the Lion coaching staff that is promotable, so Claybrooks is safe for now.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

People seem to forget that Lions have a president now and he is watching all this and may have the authority to make changes. He could report to Braley and tell him that he recommends not renewing Hervey's contract.

We have a replacement right here in Geroy Simon. I thought he would be the heir apparent to Wally as GM. He has been here 3 or 4 years now and I think is the logical replacement for Hervey. I for one feel you cannot sell the Lions to the fans if they finish 3 and 15 or 4 and 14, even 5 and 13 is bad. I do not see him being back. Stability could still exist promoting Simon.

Ed Hervey does not deserve to be back if they continue to lose and get into Argo territory. Bringing him back would be a mistake.

I never liked the way he treated Solly cutting him late and all he will do is recruit more ex Eskimos. This team is a mess and if Lions attendance drops below 15,000 in the Fall, I cannot see him back.

Even if Simon is the not the one to be promoted, I think there are candidates that will emerge for Ed Hervey is driving a runaway train and I cannot stomach going through this again next year.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Anything can still happen this year. Remember the Lions were 1-5 at this point in 2011. I don't think this year's team is as close to championship level as the 2011 version but it can still finish the season with a winning record. The Bombers and Eskimos are good but the Riders and Stamps are no more talented than the Lions.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

This question is based on the speculation if Lions have a bad season 5 wins or less and it is a very real possibility.

Sorry I cannot agree BC Fan. For Lions to finish with a winning record they would have to go 9 and 3 the rest of the way. No way that is happening. That would be a miracle and this team as it stands lack the talent and coaching to do that. I would bet $1,000 I am that sure. The 2011 team was way more talented , better coached and had a way better defence than this team. Lions will be hard pressed to even finish with a 9 and 9 record. They still have to play Hamilton twice, Winnipeg at least 1 or 2 times and probably Edmonton once more and Calgary who will be better when Bo returns. They have a chance against the Redblacks and Argos and Montreal is going to be tough.

And Stamps are a far more talented team than the Lions and have the best coach in the league and when Bo returns will be contenders again.
swervynmerv
Legend

Its clear the Lions have been on a rudderless ship for years now, even with the 2011 miracle.

I’ve mentioned in many posts my thoughts on Hervey’s role in this but the elephant in the room still is the ownership of David Braley.

Look at Montreal’s mess with no/disinterested ownership.

Leadership starts at the top and when your owner lives 5 provinces away that’s a big problem.

Mr Braley saved this franchise and for that I thank him; however, he has held on too long, in part to his relationship with Wally I feel.

I don’t know what he’s asking for but I’m betting it’s way too much than what he will get or what the franchise is even worth.

A dwindling fan base and poor on field product doesn’t scream “buy”. Like real estate it’s either a buyers or sellers market. For the Lions, the sellers market passed 6-7 years ago when the Lions won the 2011 GC and the allure of the new BC Place was new.

There had been a “stench” hanging over this team for years. New players, coaches etc. And it’s still the same.

Is Hervey being held to account? Are the coaches?

Unfortunately Mr Braley will never get back what he wants or probably deserves. That being said, it’s my opinion that if we do not get new, local ownership soon, we could be witnessing a franchise that may never recover, on or off the field.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Ed Hervey deserves to be fired because he is the architect of this team. Having said, it won't surprise me that he'll be back next year because of the coaches' salary cap. Lions are bleeding money and can they really afford to go out and hire new coaches ?
VictoriaFan
Starter

I'd like to see Stubler gone, even though Mace just had a baby and loves Calgary he may be enticed if offered the DC job and worked well with Claybrookes. Anyone would be better than Jackson as OC, stinker qb and even stinkier OC surely Lulay could do better than what we have now, even Khari looks good compared to JJ, actually the only coach probably doing a half decent job is Nik Lewis
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:17 pm
Anything can still happen this year. Remember the Lions were 1-5 at this point in 2011. I don't think this year's team is as close to championship level as the 2011 version but it can still finish the season with a winning record. The Bombers and Eskimos are good but the Riders and Stamps are no more talented than the Lions.
You are right.

Momentum and confidence are funny things.

Look at the Alouettes right now.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Yes, but do you both seriously think the Lions can go 9 and 3 and finish with a winning record.? I admire you staying optimistic in trying times, but the chances of a below average team in the Lions doing that is highly unlikely . The 2011 team had lots of leadership, experience and talent and made 2 key changes that turned their season around. Unless Hervey makes a trade this week for a difference maker I just don't see it happening. Even Montreal is unlikely to go on a 9 and 3 run, but they likely to make the playoffs if they continue playing well.

Even when Lions OL was healthy they still could not protect Reilly. I agree with TSN panel that has to change quickly and Lions need to make changes, but will Ed make them before the bye?

If Hervey's contract is up how can he be part of the coaching cap? His contract is off the books and Lions are free to make a change at that position if they wish. I just don't know how much authority Rick L has to do that and what does David Braley think?

I agree he needs to sell or else this team could fold if it continues to lose. Problem is the general fan just will not care and that is worse that being negative about the team.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

If the Lions are skunked when it comes to upgrading key positions from NFL cuts in September then there needs to be a major shake-up in the scouting department, starting with Torey Hunter, who Hervey made his player of personnel director after being his regional scout in Edmonton.

That would be the end of a two year run for him with essentially next to nothing to show for it. Can they really afford a 3rd year of coming up dry?
To come away from training camp and starting the now released national Termanson at corner and Thompson as a last minute signing at safety was ridiculous when they had a ton of ratio flexibility. They can't find any quality LBs or WRs and their FA camps either?

Man were we spoiled from 2000-2010 winning the league's rookie of the year award SEVEN times: Barrin Simpson, Jason Clermont, Frank Cutolo, Aaron Hunt, Cam Wake, Martell Mallett and Solly. Hmmm wonder why we had some outstanding teams during much of that run.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Interesting re: Braley. I was listening to 1040 briefly early this afternoon. The talking heads talked about the ownership of the 3 main Vancouver teams. General comment was people complain Lions and most of Whitecaps ownership is absentee/not local and not involved. Yet while Canuck ownership is local the biggest complaint is that they do get involved and meddle. Seems the purrfect Vancouver ownership is somebody who is local and doesn't get involved much more than Braley does.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
yukonlion
All Star

There are teams that had many changes like edmonton, calgary (plagued by injuries over the last few years) ottawa and montreal that are playing way better than BC... why didnt they need to learn and gel... I must say its coaching... our biggest lack its the D front 7.. (player wise). though even without sacks and pressure weve been in games for 3 quarters then fold..

interesting about Geroy. I remember him getting hurt late in his career, but our passing game improved (cant remember the year), but the main thing I saw was him on the sidelines coaching up the young recievers..... hmmm