Lions at Riders July 20, 2019 - Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Injured offensive linemen Sukh Chungh and Joel Figueroa won't start, and the Lions have shuffled starters at four positions to patch the O-line for Saturday's game against the Riders in Regina. Brett Boyko flips from starting right tackle to left tackle, Hunter Steward returns as starting left guard, newly activated American rookie Phillip Norman gets his first start at right guard and David Foucault moves from left guard to start his second game of the season at right tackle. Jean-Simon Roy, who was snatched from Edmonton's practice roster at the start of the season, remains at centre for the fourth straight game. Figueroa is listed as a backup and Chungh is on the 1-game injured list.

Former Redblack Ryan Lankford is activated to return punts and kicks with Brandon Rutley and back up Duron Carter at wide receiver.

On defence, the only change is at defensive end, where Ebenezer Ogundeko takes over for Mat Boesen, who has been placed on the 6-game injured list. Ogundeko us backed up by Korey Toomer. They split reps last week after Boesen was injured early in the first quarter against Edmonton.

Depth chart and roster
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Manny Arceneaux, coming off ACL surgery, is activated for the Riders and will make his debut at wide receiver. Arceneaux is one of seven ex-Lions in the Rider starting lineup.

Solomon Elimimian starts his second game at middle linebacker for the Riders, while another ex-Lion, A.C. Leonard, starts at defensive end opposite perennial all-star and former Stampeder Charleston Hughes. The pair will likely pose a big challenge for B.C.'s injury-ravaged offensive line.

Other ex-Lions in the Rider starting lineup are QB Cody Fajardo, SB Corey Watson, safety Mike Edem and DB Loucheiz Purifoy.

Rider depth chart and roster
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Expect a loss. Their OL even when healthy has not been good. With a patched up OL, Riders defence who are very good will have a field day. Just hope the game is competitive.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I can’t see Brett Boyko stepping into a new position and containing Charleston Hughes or A.C. Leonard, who have nine sacks between them. The Lions will need to run a lot of tight end sets, establish the run and throw a lot more quick passes to keep Mike Reilly upright and healthy.
TurfGuy
prospect

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:00 am
Figueroa is listed as a backup and Chungh is on the 1-game injured list.

Depth chart and roster
Also listed behind Rt tackle David Foucault, is National David Knevel.
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:32 am
I can’t see Brett Boyko stepping into a new position and containing Charleston Hughes or A.C. Leonard, who have nine sacks between them. The Lions will need to run a lot of tight end sets, establish the run and throw a lot more quick passes to keep Mike Reilly upright and healthy.
* If we don't see better blitz pick-up strategies this game, we don't stand a chance. Expect to see a lot of stunts and twists to confuse our guys.

* I guess it's good that Fig (ankle) and Chungh (slight bi-cep tear) are not playing to give them a chance to heal. Sure hope they're healthy for the home half of the back-to-back.

* Not to pile on Boyko but that's asking a lot to play LT when he has struggled so much at RT. I really hope we're not afraid to put Knevel in the game if (either) tackle struggles. Don't understand our aversion to using him.

* I think you're going to see a lot of quick hitters from Reilly which poses its own set of problems if Sask knows we're not going deep.

* I would expect some packages for Lankford to use his speed to get upfield and cool off an aggressive pass rush.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

This could get really ugly.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

JC Abbott sums up my thoughts nicely.

https://twitter.com/JC_AbbottCFL/status ... 88352?s=20
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I hear Reilly's life insurance company has cancelled his policy.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Lions depth chart vs the Riders

Screenshot_20190719_131318.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Steward in at left guard

Ogundeko at rush end

Dozier at safety

Foucault right tackle

Boyko left tackle

Norman right guard

Yikes.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Not good facing Micah Johnson and Charleston Hughes with a patched up offensive line.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Quick hitters - that is part of the Lions problem. You keep Carter close to the LOS and stopped in his tracks like many of the Lions schemes - it's pick off time.

The Lions have too much stuff on passing all around the LOS and as we know with the Argos last night they couldn't get 2 yards on run plays as they decided it was good to hand the ball off way back of the LOS. These Ds on their game eat that stuff up.

I'd like to see a few (NOT TOO MANY) crossing routes instead and some freaking FB play incl getting a ball tossed his way.

I see the Lions OL problems were not just picking up the blitz but but just holding up the 3 or 4 man rushes.

Unless we see some VARIATION in run and pass schemes we're in trouble here.

Special Teams - why haven't they done some inspiration stuff and go after blocking some kicks and put Carter in that role? He not only blocked a FG he got a TD off it in Sask - then Jones and coaching staff didn't use him there after that.

Remember the old days when we had a record kick blocker on the Lions??
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

“Wally is the guy,” Elimimian said. “Honestly, I wouldn’t have had a successful career if it wasn’t for Wally. In my first four or five years, I couldn’t stand him, and I say that respectfully because he pushed me so hard. He was never satisfied and I could never do a good job.

“He knew who I was and he knew me as a player and knew how to get the best out of me. I didn’t understand what he was doing until my fifth season, when I realized that he cared about me and he saw something in me. I realized that’s what I needed from him.”
Missing Wally? Nah. Time had moved on., especially with changes in the game, systems, game preparation, etc. But he did have his ways and means. We hear some of that from Solly and Manny.
“(Buono) had a big impact because he was always straightforward in telling you how it was as a mentor or as a coach,” said Arceneaux, a CFL all-star in 2015 and 2016. “He would keep you on track, not just physically, but mentally and spirituality as well.''

Reggiemac
Rookie

Hees an idea re fridge perry. Dress an Ol asa RBandiehiup intebackfeld to aid run blocking adpass protection just try it what can we lose?