List of possible replacements

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

I really believe that we took a huge confidence hit by blowing an 11 point lead against Calgary in the last 2-minutes. I am not saying there wouldn't still be blemishes on this team, but I doubt we'd see the mess that was on display last night.

That said, I thought it would be interesting to see who is out there. NFL cuts are a long way away so I took a peek at CFL free agents. Now, some of these guys may have retired, and some may be past their prime (I tried my best to weed out CFLers trying out in the NFL). I also tried to cast as wide a net as possible for all you virtual GMs. :popcorn: (age and positions are posted too).

BALL, Marcus, 31 LB
BOWMAN, Adarius, 34 WR
ELLIS, Dominique, 29 DB
FOSTER, Otha, 30 LB
GOTT, John, 33 OL
GRANT, Bakari, 32 WR
HAZELTON, Vidal, 31 WR
HEATH, TJ, 31 DB
KNOX, JR. Jeff, 27 LB
LANKFORD,, Ryan, 27 WR/KR
OKPALAUGO, Tristan, 29 (retired?) DE
SMITH, Quinn, 27 OL
SORENSEN, Justin, 33 OL
ST. JOHN, Josiah, 27 OL
TOLIVER, Terrence, 31 WR
WILLIAMS, Chris, 31 WR/KR
YELL, Ronnie, 28 DB

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Pistrinus
Rookie

So how come nobody is talking about Knevel as a replacement
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

David wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:58 pm
I really believe that we took a huge confidence hit by blowing an 11 point lead against Calgary in the last 2-minutes. I am not saying there wouldn't still be blemishes on this team, but I doubt we'd see the mess that was on display last night.

That said, I thought it would be interesting to see who is out there. NFL cuts are a long way away so I took a peek at CFL free agents. Now, some of these guys may have retired, and some may be past their prime (I tried my best to weed out CFLers trying out in the NFL). I also tried to cast as wide a net as possible for all you virtual GMs. :popcorn: (age and positions are posted too).

BALL, Marcus, 31 LB
BOWMAN, Adarius, 34 WR
ELLIS, Dominique, 29 DB
FOSTER, Otha, 30 LB
GOTT, John, 33 OL
GRANT, Bakari, 32 WR
HAZELTON, Vidal, 31 WR
HEATH, TJ, 31 DB
KNOX, JR. Jeff, 27 LB
LANKFORD,, Ryan, 27 WR/KR
OKPALAUGO, Tristan, 29 (retired?) DE
SMITH, Quinn, 27 OL
SORENSEN, Justin, 33 OL
ST. JOHN, Josiah, 27 OL
TOLIVER, Terrence, 31 WR
WILLIAMS, Chris, 31 WR/KR
YELL, Ronnie, 28 DB

There certainly are guys on that list that are better than guys on the Lion's roster. Including, Yell, Foster, Heath, Ball. I would take a look at Grant and Hazelton, Gott.

Even though it is a young man's game, Lions need some experienced guys right now who can play and don't need to be coached up.

Where is Earnest Jackson?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Overall a reasonable list worth considering David but no names really standout aside from maybe Knox and he's supposedly already signed with Ottawa. Sorensen is done physically. Doubt Gott is looking. He had been relegated to backup early last year. I think there are all kinds of red flags on Hazelton. He was one of the cuts back when Milanovich suddenly purged his receiving corps late that season to remove some cancers. Seemed to be rumours in other locations since then. Could explain why after losing 3 or 4 of their top receivers in the past 2 offseasons they didn't have room for him. Personally I'd rather see new young blood than recycling old vets many of whose best years are behind them.
Last edited by Hambone on Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:09 am
He had been relegated to backup early last year. I think there are all kinds of re flags on Hazelton.
Found out this morning from Farhan Lalji that Hervey has been kicking tires on Vidal Hazelton and is interested in speedster Ryan Lankford (recently released by Ottawa).

I am surprised Otha Foster was not signed by anyone. I thought he had a good year last year with our Leos at nickel.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
The_Pauser
Legend

No thank you to Hazelton, he’s not very good.

Okpalaugo is intriguing. Curious as to why he wasn’t signed anywhere.
Roar you Lions roar!
VictoriaFan
Starter

doesn't matter what or who they bring in on receiver , if Reilly is on his back no one will shine speedster or not.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The_Pauser wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:52 pm
No thank you to Hazelton, he’s not very good.

Okpalaugo is intriguing. Curious as to why he wasn’t signed anywhere.
Probably like most on the list offered IF he actually wants to play he probably needs more money than teams are willing to spend for the combination of age and perceived productivity they think they would be getting. According to Wiki Okpalaugo has retired but I can't find an actual article stating that.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Dusty
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:09 am
Personally I'd rather see new young blood than recycling old vets many of whose best years are behind them.
I think this is the way to go. If my memory is correct, and it might not be, it was big and aggressive players like Khalif Mitchell that came out of nowhere and made an immediate impact. Thats the type of player we should be looking for to put more pressure on opposing QB's.

Not vets, but new to CFL players, especially on the defensive side. I'll agree that thee is a bit of learning curve for the offensive line newbies to the cfl game, but it can't be a seasons worth of learning.
David
Team Captain

Looks like 32-year old veteran LB Maurice "Mo" Leggett is signing somewhere tomorrow. Just not sure where. It was rumoured to be an Arena team but I think it's the CFL.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions signed receiver, and returnee Ryan Lankford

https://www.bclions.com/2019/07/15/lion ... -lankford/
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Missing piece

Shawn Lemon. Alex Bazzie. Justin Capicciotti. Tristan Okpalaugo. Nikita Whitlock. “Poop” Johnson.

These are just a few of the proven disruptors in the pass game that are currently available through trade or free agency. Yet, B.C. continues to trot out the same makeshift defensive line that fails to get pressure and allows young, inexperienced quarterbacks the time to pick apart the defence.

I’m not sure why Ed Hervey is sitting on his hands to make changes in this area, but if he’s waiting to add someone through NFL cuts, it better be an awfully big fish.

I think Lions have no money to add any of these players. But the writer of the above piece from 3 down nation is right unless they make changes to improve their pass rush, it probably will not get better and they will continue to lose. Willis is done and Coleman not having a good year and the rest not doing anything. Hervey preaches patience, but do not buy into his illusion Lions will magically start winning and turn their season around.

No need to have two threads going on the same topic. We have merged this with the one started earlier about possible replacement pieces.

Thanks,
Mods.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:32 pm
Missing piece

Shawn Lemon. Alex Bazzie. Justin Capicciotti. Tristan Okpalaugo. Nikita Whitlock. “Poop” Johnson.

These are just a few of the proven disruptors in the pass game that are currently available through trade or free agency. Yet, B.C. continues to trot out the same makeshift defensive line that fails to get pressure and allows young, inexperienced quarterbacks the time to pick apart the defence.

I’m not sure why Ed Hervey is sitting on his hands to make changes in this area, but if he’s waiting to add someone through NFL cuts, it better be an awfully big fish.

I think Lions have no money to add any of these players. But the writer of the above piece from 3 down nation is right unless they make changes to improve their pass rush, it probably will not get better and they will continue to lose. Willis is done and Coleman not having a good year and the rest not doing anything. Hervey preaches patience, but do not buy into his illusion Lions will magically start winning and turn their season around.
why are these guys available?

and who poops with their johnson
Every day that passes is one you can't get back