Eskimos 33 - Lions 6 -- Post-Game Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Mike Reilly has every right to be angry but if I were on that O-Line where my opponent across from me knew what we were doing on every play including running plays and where the QB is going to be I'd be pissed at that QB for being so stupid to let the same crap be called over and over.

IF I were a REC and was running those *poop* routes with one primary receiver and that piss poor blocking meaning no one deep is able to be open, I'd be pissed that my QB who is supposed to be influential on play calls and schemes is doing the same stuff over and over.

But tossing players leads to longer instability.

Today MTL with Khari Jones providing some stability just handed OTT a decisive loss and listening to their players know shows they've stuck together through a rough start and a coaching change.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Pistrinus
Rookie

TurfGuy wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:50 pm
Now Figueroa may miss some action with an ankle injury and it's believed Chungh has a small bicep tear, we will be forced into more changes. According to Farhan Lalji, the club is considering inserting International Phillip Norman (who played the LG spot in preseason). What a hot mess.

DH :cool:
Does not have to a 'hot mess'. The Lions have a 2018 draft pick in National David Knevel (Nebraska Cornhuskers). Several times last season, Knevel went in at both RT and LT; played 16 games last year. With his background and his size, he should be considered to replace either Figueroa or Boyko.
[/quote]
i agree with this knevel comment, i don't understand why nobody is talking about him , after his performance last year
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

This coaching staff wasn't here last year. I liked Knevel's play last year. He, Foucault, Boyko had an open competition for right tackle at training camp. It was one of only the few real position battles. Foucault won it, backed up by Boyko and Knevel. When the coaches started to juggle positions to find a better centre than Peirson, Foucault was shuffled to left guard, where he remains, and Boyko stepped in at tackle. Presumably, Knevel is still thought of as a lesser prospect. Perhaps he's just a lesser-paid prospect.
Pistrinus
Rookie

I don’t think your perception is totally accurate , it’s obvious the right tackle position was boyko’s position to lose at the start of camp , look at the media releases at the start of camp , competition between Foucault and boyko for right tackle , even the head coach mentioned Knevel , and now boyko is defended as a rookie , so obvious when they signed him they decided with his experience he was a better choice than Knevel , but obviously I think that is the wrong decision
Pistrinus
Rookie

Another question , how does better paid prospect factor in ?
Blitz
Team Captain

MacNews wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:08 pm
swervynmerv wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:52 pm
On another matter. In Jarious Jackson’s CFL career, what did he accomplish to demonstrate that he would be a good OC. For the most part he was an average QB who was more often than not a back-up.
No offense to Jarious, he's a great guy. He's won several Grey Cup rings. But I don't think he's ready to be an OC. I don't understand why he was hired in that role.
Jackson was never a starting quarterback on any Grey Cup winning team. His only season that one could call a success was in 2007, when Jackson, as our third string quarterback (and having never started a game in the CFL before) became our starter, due to injuries to Dickenson and Pierce.

That was the season, with Hufnagel serving as an offensive consultant, that we changed our offence to feature a running attack. We led the CFL in rushing with Joe Smith and Ian Smart carrying the football and playing excellent defense.

With Jackson at quarterback we won 9 of 12 games, as Jackson mainly handed the football off or threw deep off play action.Jackson was pulled in the first half of the playoff game in 2017.

JACKSON'S PLAYING DAYS

Most of us realize that being an excellent player does not necessarily translate into becoming an excellent coach. Many outstanding football coaches were not excellent players.

With that said, Jarious Jackson, as a player did not appear to be a successful student of the game. Dispite having great natural tools and an outstanding arm, Jackson only completed 54.2% of his passes in his CFL career and had a CFL career quarterback efficiency rating of 80.2.

Jarious, as a quarterback, was not noted for his ability to read a defense (to say the least) and he even struggled with the concept of putting a little touch on the football, as he would often knock his tailback off his feet with a swing pass that was thrown with so much velocity that it almost went through him.

Does that background mean that he was not suitable material to become an offensive coordinator. No, but it does make one ponder.

JACKSON AS A COACH IN EDMONTON AND SASKATCHEWN

Jackson got his coaching start as a quarterback coach under Wally.
Jackson's lack of success, in both Edmonton and Saskatchewan did not qualify him to become our offensive coordinator. Jackson was the 'passing game coordinator', under Steve McAdoo, in both situations, utllizing an RPO themed passing attack that had its struggles.

GOTTA BE 'SMART ENOUGH'

Certainly, Ed's comments focus on player evaluation and potential personnel changes. No mention of schematic changes at all.

I was thinking MAYBE Mike Reilly just isn't 'smart enough' to quarterback Jarious Jackson's offence successfully. Last season Jackson implied Jennings was not smart enough to run his offence (but a healthy Jennings had been able to throw for over 5,000 yds. quarterbacking a predictable Spread offence here in B.C.).

I can only surmise that Lulay was also not 'smart enough' to quarterback Jarious Jackson's offence last season too, since Jennings had a better quarterback efficiency than Lulay last season,

That's IT. I'm finally GETTING IT!!. Jarious Jackson's offence is no ORDINARY offence. Its a SPECIAL offence. Is a SUPERIOR offence. Therefore it requires an EXCEPTIONALLY SMART quarterback to run Jackson's offence and we haven't found that calibre of quarterback play yet.

Now I UNDERSTAND!! That is why Ed wants our quarterback to sleep at the practice facility and take Ritalin to stay awake all night watching tape. Jackson's offence is so BRILLIANT, that it takes not only EXCEPTIONAL INTELLIGENCE but it also requires EXCEPTIONAL STUDY.

ITS AN EXCEPTIONAL OFFENSIVE SCHEME

STUPID FANS, like me, who don't get that concept. Instead they blame Jackson when teams put extra players in the box to take the run option away, who blitz quickly into the quarterbacks face, to take away the RPO quick slant, and who blitz extra defenders and play our receivers tight on first down and force sacks.

Fans just DON'T UNDERSTAND, that if our quarterbacks only made the right read and got the football out of their hands quickly, this offence would be UNSTOPPABLE. Its designed to get the football into our receivers hands in space, as Jackson has often pointed out.

I just LOVE the concept of throwing quick outs to Bryan Burnham so he can JUKE defenders as well as throwing an slant to the outside to Duron Carter so he can catch the football at full speed while trying to JUKE the sideline. But even more so, I LOVE the concept of using Shaq Johnson's speed for long STOP routes.

BUT even more IMPRESSIVE, is Jackons's concept of sending all of our reeivers on deep and deep intermediate passes while also releasing White out of the backfield.

That ensures that Reilly will be looking at the backs of our receivers for 3 seconds while the opposition pass rush caves in our pocket, as pass rushers arms claw at his body, and he experiences CLAUSTROPHOBIA in the pocket. Of course, this is all by design. Jackson is ensuring that the defense is NOT TIPPED OFF as to when our receivers will BREAK OFF their pattern because they don't break off their pattern.

BUT I think the key to Jackson's offence is the role modelling he provides in terms of how IMPORTANT his offensive scheme is to our Leos success. That is why he would leave his lap top computer and other Leos paraphanlia in his car, while going to watch an MMA fight at a bar/club following a game.

Jackson KNEW, that even if the information was stolen, which it was, no one would be SMART ENOUGH to understand this offence, because we havent' found anyone who has been SMART ENOUGH to understant it yet incuding two former MOP quarterbacks.

WRAP

They just don't make football players as SMART as the GOOD 'OL DAYS when Hervey and Jackson played.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
swervynmerv
Legend

Blitz wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:25 am
MacNews wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:08 pm
swervynmerv wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:52 pm
On another matter. In Jarious Jackson’s CFL career, what did he accomplish to demonstrate that he would be a good OC. For the most part he was an average QB who was more often than not a back-up.
No offense to Jarious, he's a great guy. He's won several Grey Cup rings. But I don't think he's ready to be an OC. I don't understand why he was hired in that role.
Jackson was never a starting quarterback on any Grey Cup winning team. His only season that one could call a success was in 2007, when Jackson, as our third string quarterback (and having never started a game in the CFL before) became our starter, due to injuries to Dickenson and Pierce.

That was the season, with Hufnagel serving as an offensive consultant, that we changed our offence to feature a running attack. We led the CFL in rushing with Joe Smith and Ian Smart carrying the football and playing excellent defense.

With Jackson at quarterback we won 9 of 12 games, as Jackson mainly handed the football off or threw deep off play action.Jackson was pulled in the first half of the playoff game in 2017.

JACKSON'S PLAYING DAYS

Most of us realize that being an excellent player does not necessarily translate into becoming an excellent coach. Many outstanding football coaches were not excellent players.

With that said, Jarious Jackson, as a player did not appear to be a successful student of the game. Dispite having great natural tools and an outstanding arm, Jackson only completed 54.2% of his passes in his CFL career and had a CFL career quarterback efficiency rating of 80.2.

Jarious, as a quarterback, was not noted for his ability to read a defense (to say the least) and he even struggled with the concept of putting a little touch on the football, as he would often knock his tailback off his feet with a swing pass that was thrown with so much velocity that it almost went through him.

Does that background mean that he was not suitable material to become an offensive coordinator. No, but it does make one ponder.

JACKSON AS A COACH IN EDMONTON AND SASKATCHEWN

Jackson got his coaching start as a quarterback coach under Wally.
Jackson's lack of success, in both Edmonton and Saskatchewan did not qualify him to become our offensive coordinator. Jackson was the 'passing game coordinator', under Steve McAdoo, in both situations, utllizing an RPO themed passing attack that had its struggles.

GOTTA BE 'SMART ENOUGH'

Certainly, Ed's comments focus on player evaluation and potential personnel changes. No mention of schematic changes at all.

I was thinking MAYBE Mike Reilly just isn't 'smart enough' to quarterback Jarious Jackson's offence successfully. Last season Jackson implied Jennings was not smart enough to run his offence (but a healthy Jennings had been able to throw for over 5,000 yds. quarterbacking a predictable Spread offence here in B.C.).

I can only surmise that Lulay was also not 'smart enough' to quarterback Jarious Jackson's offence last season too, since Jennings had a better quarterback efficiency than Lulay last season,

That's IT. I'm finally GETTING IT!!. Jarious Jackson's offence is no ORDINARY offence. Its a SPECIAL offence. Is a SUPERIOR offence. Therefore it requires an EXCEPTIONALLY SMART quarterback to run Jackson's offence and we haven't found that calibre of quarterback play yet.

Now I UNDERSTAND!! That is why Ed wants our quarterback to sleep at the practice facility and take Ritalin to stay awake all night watching tape. Jackson's offence is so BRILLIANT, that it takes not only EXCEPTIONAL INTELLIGENCE but it also requires EXCEPTIONAL STUDY.

ITS AN EXCEPTIONAL OFFENSIVE SCHEME

STUPID FANS, like me, who don't get that concept. Instead they blame Jackson when teams put extra players in the box to take the run option away, who blitz quickly into the quarterbacks face, to take away the RPO quick slant, and who blitz extra defenders and play our receivers tight on first down and force sacks.

Fans just DON'T UNDERSTAND, that if our quarterbacks only made the right read and got the football out of their hands quickly, this offence would be UNSTOPPABLE. Its designed to get the football into our receivers hands in space, as Jackson has often pointed out.

I just LOVE the concept of throwing quick outs to Bryan Burnham so he can JUKE defenders as well as throwing an slant to the outside to Duron Carter so he can catch the football at full speed while trying to JUKE the sideline. But even more so, I LOVE the concept of using Shaq Johnson's speed for long STOP routes.

BUT even more IMPRESSIVE, is Jackons's concept of sending all of our reeivers on deep and deep intermediate passes while also releasing White out of the backfield.

That ensures that Reilly will be looking at the backs of our receivers for 3 seconds while the opposition pass rush caves in our pocket, as pass rushers arms claw at his body, and he experiences CLAUSTROPHOBIA in the pocket. Of course, this is all by design. Jackson is ensuring that the defense is NOT TIPPED OFF as to when our receivers will BREAK OFF their pattern because they don't break off their pattern.

BUT I think the key to Jackson's offence is the role modelling he provides in terms of how IMPORTANT his offensive scheme is to our Leos success. That is why he would leave his lap top computer and other Leos paraphanlia in his car, while going to watch an MMA fight at a bar/club following a game.

Jackson KNEW, that even if the information was stolen, which it was, no one would be SMART ENOUGH to understand this offence, because we havent' found anyone who has been SMART ENOUGH to understant it yet incuding two former MOP quarterbacks.

WRAP

They just don't make football players as SMART as the GOOD 'OL DAYS when Hervey and Jackson played.
What a great read on a Sunday morning Blitz. I almost spit out my coffee a couple of times!🤣🤣
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:55 pm
Mike Reilly has every right to be angry but if I were on that O-Line where my opponent across from me knew what we were doing on every play including running plays and where the QB is going to be I'd be pissed at that QB for being so stupid to let the same crap be called over and over.

IF I were a REC and was running those *poop* routes with one primary receiver and that piss poor blocking meaning no one deep is able to be open, I'd be pissed that my QB who is supposed to be influential on play calls and schemes is doing the same stuff over and over.

But tossing players leads to longer instability.

Today MTL with Khari Jones providing some stability just handed OTT a decisive loss and listening to their players know shows they've stuck together through a rough start and a coaching change.
There was one pivotal moment in last week's mic'ed up game when an Argo linebacker called out before the ball was snapped who was getting the ball. Of course, he was right.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Pistrinus wrote:
If the GM is paying Boyko a starter’s salary, he’ll want him to start. It goes for most positions. There’s not much room in the salary cap for high-priced backups and special teamers. Boyko and Duron Carter will be among the first players released if they’re not earning their pay.
Dusty
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:45 am
Pistrinus wrote:
If the GM is paying Boyko a starter’s salary, he’ll want him to start. It goes for most positions. There’s not much room in the salary cap for high-priced backups and special teamers. Boyko and Duron Carter will be among the first players released if they’re not earning their pay.
If a starter, or a player being paid a starters salary, is moved to the Practice Roster, does his former starters salary count against the cap or does his "new" practice salary count?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Dusty wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:00 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:45 am
Pistrinus wrote:
If a starter, or a player being paid a starters salary, is moved to the Practice Roster, does his former starters salary count against the cap or does his "new" practice salary count?
The player is only paid his contracted salary while on the 45-man roster. (The Lions use a 45-man roster rather than 46 to save a QB's salary.) All practice roster players supposedly earn a standard salary (it was $750 a week in the previous CBA) plus housing or a housing allowance. Housing costs don't count toward the salary cap.
Pistrinus
Rookie

so how is it a fair competition if a players salary gives him more weight
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

If this story is to be believed its players who will be the scapegoats for the anemic offence says Hervey from down south where's he had to deal with a family issue this weekend. The words of Ed Hervey here. Watch for Carter to be scapegoated as fans pile on him.

https://theprovince.com/sports/football ... ix-it-list

Yes, players have to execute but there is also something to be said about not ignoring that it's not always a flat out failure of losing the battles up front on the LOS given this current pattern of schemes and play calling.

But tossing expendable players always gives GMs and coaches more room as they can when they continue to fail/lose that the new guy is on a learning curve.

OFFENCE:

The HC is clearly not ensuring that the full brain trusts on offence are being employed here. You can't tell me that Nik Lewis and Drew Tate don't know schemes and play calls and there is zero telling me that their input is being used. Granted like Buck Pierce in WPG as a coach it takes time to develop as a top offensive coach as he is reputed to be now even though not the OC.

DEFENCE:

Basics like just making a frigging simple tackle are hurting big time.

SPECIAL TEAMS:

Are these Lion coaches not watching other teams and how exciting they can be on STs.

OVERALL:

DeVone Claybrooks is on a steep learning curve and I'm not sure how he sees his role as a HC and how he has to set the overall tone and culture.

I'm not sure Mike Reilly is that kind of leader - he's more hard work, guts and persistence versus someone who can examine what he's doing and see the need for a course correction.

https://theprovince.com/sports/football ... ix-it-list

MY TAKE:

It's not time to toss people but to get an overall evaluation going especially on the OFF side of things.

The model is actually WPG and how patient they were there with Mike O'Shea and let's face it there were rocky moments.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Blitz
Team Captain

What a great read on a Sunday morning Blitz. I almost spit out my coffee a couple of times! swervymerv

Pleased to read, swervynmerv that I could bring a smile to your face on a cloudy July morning. It felt like Jarious Jackson had peed in my raisan bran this morning so writing the post was a way of getting a frustrated feeling off my chest (and out of my raisan bran too).

My best guess is a player or two will be jettisoned to send a message. Quite often fear is a very good short term motivator. However, it rarely works in the long run.

Fear aint gonna fix Jarious scheme (unless Jarious was feeling some fear himself and that sure in the heck hasn't happened yet, not with Ed around to protect him).
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Which ever player they cut, it probably won't be one of the 8 ex-Eskimos on the roster.