Eskimos 33 - Lions 6 -- Post-Game Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

BC 1988
Legend

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1337563
Claybrooks on this morning with Halford & Sekeres (crossover week is in effect) Taking the tack that players not executing are to blame. At 7:22, Sekeres did ask a good question on the O-line that put more of the onus on systems than execution. At the end Duron Carter was discussed.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Jarious has a track record now.

Jennings could not make his offence work. Lulay could not make his offence work. Reilly has had problems running the offence. That is 3 QBs who have had success in this league, failing to ''execute'' this offence at a high level.

Pass protection has been a major issue.

Not using the run game early in the year was a head shaker.

Long routes, no outlet versus blitzing defenses has been a head shaker.

Insufficient blitz beating routes? Must be the system.

Pass rush non-existent. System or players? Maybe both.

These do not look like execution by the players issues. As noted, imo the biggest issue is leadership, as in coaching. Nothing wrong with the vast majority of the players. They have had success previously. They have passed countless tests under fire in their careers. Now they are messed up. To this long term fan, that indicates a coaching/leadership issue.

Execution? The finger must be pointing at the O Line, receivers, DL, LBs and DBs. Quarterback? Cannot do that, as he is the franchise at the moment. OC? Cannot do that, as he has the loyalty of Ed Hervey. DC? The defense has had its moments, although way too vulnerable far too often.

Just imo heading into the new week ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

I can't recall being this down before about the start of the season. And it probably has as much to do off the field than it does on it.

Why have they done such a poor job of recruiting down south the last 2 years? To the point we where they began the season with 10 starting nationals — from a junior football rookie receiver to a field side corner that spent much of 2018 on the practice roster. Then re-sign your former safety and start him 3 days later before eventually moving him to corner. I thought it was too good to be true and it was.
Nothing against Cottoy but even Paris Jackson had to work his way into a starting position. That's what most good teams do.

Then there was trying to fill the already glaring holes created at DE and linebacker with replacements that are just not good enough. Throw in some questionable big money thrown at FAs — Chungh and Carter — and the shaping of this roster by Hervey has been a near disaster.

There would be no need to bring in the Ryan Lankford’s of the world if you actually found some good US prospects in the off-season and brought them to TC.

Then there are bizzare line-up decisions like ditching the offensive line that looked so good in Calgary to get Boyko back in at tackle where he was awful in both Edmonton losses. To top it all off has been Jarious Jackson's offence that has been mostly sputtering since the start of last season.

Salt in the wound has been watching the job Kahari Jones is doing in a very difficult situation in Montreal where he has the offence and a young Adams thriving.

Not fun times in BC.
Blitz
Team Captain

They certainly are FUN times!!

I just don't think we have enough players on our roster who have worn green and gold before.

Presently, the ONLY ex-Eskimos wearing orange and black presently are:

John White
Gary Peters
John Woodman
Odell Willis
Mike Reilly
Chris Edwards
Aaron Grymes
Kevin Konar
Joel Figuroa
Jean Simon Roy
Darius Allen
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Blitz wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:44 am

I just don't think we have enough players on our roster who have worn green and gold before.

John White
Gary Peters
John Woodman
Odell Willis
Mike Reilly
Chris Edwards
Aaron Grymes
Kevin Konar
Joel Figuroa
Jean Simon Roy
Darius Allen
I am no longer worried about Ed signing former Esks players because he has signed them all. The way rosters in the CFL turn over I figure that there are no longer any players left in Edmonton that have any connection to Ed. :wink:
squishy35
Legend

DanoT wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:03 am
Blitz wrote:

John White
Gary Peters
John Woodman
Odell Willis
Mike Reilly
Chris Edwards
Aaron Grymes
Kevin Konar
Joel Figuroa
Jean Simon Roy
Darius Allen
I am no longer worried about Ed signing former Esks players because he has signed them all. The way rosters in the CFL turn over I figure that there are no longer any players left in Edmonton that have any connection to Ed. :wink:
Once an Eskimo, always a Lion...
David
Team Captain

#ManyThingsRhymeWithGreen

:wink:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
aklawitter
All Star

mind boggling how Various Jackson still has a job in this league
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

Blitz wrote:

John White
Gary Peters
John Woodman
Odell Willis
Mike Reilly
Chris Edwards
Aaron Grymes
Kevin Konar
Joel Figuroa
Jean Simon Roy
Darius Allen
It's Adam Konar, you're mixing him up with his father.