Games of Week 5 -- July 11 - 13, 2019

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Schedule

2019-07-08_0804.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

EDM @ BC. Take the Lions. On a hope and a prayer.

TOR @ WPG. Take the Bombers.

MTL @ OTT. Take Ottawa.

CGY @ HAM. Take Hamilton.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I'm not confident in B.C. against Edmonton. The Lions will have a shortened practice week after playing Saturday in Toronto and making a long flight home. The Eskimos are coming off a bye and will be well rested.

The Edmonton offence leads the league with an average of 480 yards and 85 plays per game. The B.C. offence is ranked seventh, averaging 339 yards and 70.5 plays per game.

Anything is possible but I would expect the Lions to be the underdogs.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to Farhan Lalji, Bryan Burnham was a full participant at practice Monday and expects to play Thursday.
Luck1sOnOurSid3
Rookie

If our offensive line can clean up their protection this game, I can see us winning. If Reilly is given time he will pick them apart. We especially need to keep White involved in the pass game to relieve pressure. That really is the key to this game. If we give up pressure like we did last game it will be out of hand by the end of the first quarter.

Additionally, we HAVE to get pressure on Harris. The last game he showed he is highly ineffective (like most QBs) when the pocket collapses. I hope Stubler has some interesting blitz packages to confuse them.

The Esks won't have the same emotion with Reilly coming back to town this game and we will have studied film on what they did last game. I am really hoping we play consistent football for all four quarters because I think we might see good things out of this team.

I remain the eternal optimist.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Luck1sOnOurSid3 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:09 pm
If our offensive line can clean up their protection this game, I can see us winning. If Reilly is given time he will pick them apart. We especially need to keep White involved in the pass game to relieve pressure. That really is the key to this game. If we give up pressure like we did last game it will be out of hand by the end of the first quarter.

Additionally, we HAVE to get pressure on Harris. The last game he showed he is highly ineffective (like most QBs) when the pocket collapses. I hope Stubler has some interesting blitz packages to confuse them.

The Esks won't have the same emotion with Reilly coming back to town this game and we will have studied film on what they did last game. I am really hoping we play consistent football for all four quarters because I think we might see good things out of this team.

I remain the eternal optimist.
If there was a switch that could be flipped to correct the problems on Special Teams, or speed up the familiarity with each other that the team needs when there are a dozen new starters, then I would also be an optimist. So as it now stands, I am more of a realist and imo this team and it's coaching staff are a year or so away from respectability.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Week 5 Media Picks

2019-07-10_1749.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

EDM at BC

The BC Lions snuck out a win against the Toronto Argonauts last week on a last-second rouge. With their first victory of the season on their shoulders, Mike Reilly and co. should be confident as they get set to host the Eskimos.

Edmonton, on the other hand, are coming back from the bye week, ready to forget about their first loss of the season in Week 3. Trevor Harris and his offence will look to get back to their form from the first few weeks of the season, where they led the league in almost all offensive categories.

PICK

Writers: 83% EDM

Fans: 70% EDM

TOR @ WPG

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have proven they’re the best of the best in the CFL and remain undefeated at 3-0. Even with Matt Nichols going down with an injury last week, things were in good hands with backup QB Chris Streveler. Nichols should be good to go this week as the Bombers hope to improve to 4-0 on the young season.

Toronto, on the other hand, has yet to find the win column. They were close last week against the BC Lions, but close doesn’t cut it in the CFL. Corey Chamblin and his gang will hope that they can silence the crowd at IG Field early as they look for win number one.

PICK

Writers: 100% WPG

Fans: 97% WPG

MTL @ OTT

The Montreal Alouettes are fresh off their first win of the season, thanks in part to a big performance from running back William Stanback. With Vernon Adams Jr. and Stanback both a threat to run, the Ottawa REDBLACKS front seven will be tested to contain the Als ground attack.

Dominique Davis and the REDBLACKS were handed their first loss of 2019 last week against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and they’ll be looking to rebound against the Alouettes in Ottawa’s first divisional game of the season.

PICK

Writers: 50/50

Fans: 87% OTT

CGY @ HAM

The Stampeders may have lost their starting quarterback but they haven’t lost a step, as Nick Arbuckle led the team to victory last week in Saskatchewan. Can Arbuckle do it again against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats?

For Hamilton, the beasts of the East were brought back down to Earth with a loss to the Alouettes last week. Head coach Orlondo Steinauer will be looking for his team to bring a better performance as they host the red-hot Stampeders this weekend.

PICK

Writers: 83% HAM

Fans: 61% HAM
https://www.cfl.ca/2019/07/10/predictio ... k-5-picks/