How to attract Fans back to the BC Lion games?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:32 pm

As a side note, I'm with you. What is it with the CFL/TSN and country music? Enough already! "Long Live the Night" is a catchy Thursday Night Football intro tune, I'll give them that. But they seem to be going way overboard lately in shoving country down our throats.

DH :cool:
maybe because it is the only decent music they make these days.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:40 pm

Now I don't recall what the weather forecast was. When it was closed my only assumption was that they had some high probability forecasted for a sudden shower in the area between 6:00 and 11:00. Sounds like there was nothing forecasted. Other than it being closed on request by the team the only other thing I thought of was mechanical issues. That seems unlikely.
I think it was 20% probability of showers
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:36 pm
David wrote:

As a side note, I'm with you. What is it with the CFL/TSN and country music? Enough already! "Long Live the Night" is a catchy Thursday Night Football intro tune, I'll give them that. But they seem to be going way overboard lately in shoving country down our throats.

I can tolerate country. At least the singer is singing the lyrics unlike rap and hip hop
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:

Maybe Suitor has more influence than we think. He was getting a major woody the week before just talking about Thursday's act.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Dusty
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:05 pm
KnowItAll wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:36 pm
David wrote:

I can tolerate country. At least the singer is singing the lyrics unlike rap and hip hop

Hmmmm.... I lasted 30 seconds and then spent the remainder of half-time in the concourse doing laps..... ABC!
Huge Talent
Starter

The concert has to be the reason for the roof closure. However, they could have just prepared a stage that has cover in the event of a shower. If they can have half time shows at other outdoor stadiums, they can do it here.

Whatever the reason, it's not a good one. The roof needed to be open, period. We're not just lions fans, we're also the taxpayers who shelled out half a billion dollars.

If it must be closed, then they have no excuse not to have air conditioning. A comfortable 20c without all they muggy humidity and we're not having this discussion.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

There is only really one currency that will bring in fans. That is a winning product on the field. We aren't ever going to have the "day of" atmosphere that comes from tailgating. 15 mins of halftime music isn't enough to bring in fans especially when you factor in the costs of the game tickets, parking etc. In fact, while it is better than mascot soccer, if you really wanted to go see these acts in concert, I would argue it would either cost the same or less for a full evening with them.

It isn't really a party atmosphere and the bottom line is that most people come to an event in anticipation of a good time. They are even prepared to endure the negatives of cost and getting there in the pursuit of having a bit of a party. Is that what the experience of a BC Lion's game is like? Not really. These days after you navigate the traffic and the parking. You go into a cavernous, half or more empty stadium. You can of course buy beer and marginal food for highly inflated prices. Sit in plastic seats, get up and down numerous times while people come and go for various reasons, watch your team performing average at best and horrible at worst. Throw in a half time show which historically has been time to go the washroom, buy some more beer or food. Come back watch the second half of average to horrible football and then make your way to the exit; before the end of the game in many cases because the outcome in not in doubt and now you are thinking about the best way to get out of the downtown before you get caught up in the gridlock.

It is a lot to put up with when your team is stinking. You hope that the Lions are going to put the boots to the opponent and when the reverse happens, you leave feeling empty, frustrated and horribly disappointed. All to the tune of a $100.00 bucks or more when you factor in the costs and if you paid for a half decent seat. Call me crazy but most people don't appreciate feeling lower at the end of an evening when you are paying for the privilege. Even if you have post game activities in mind, tell me that having been treated to an awful on field product doesn't put a damper on that. When I drink (which is seldom), I do so to have a good time, not to drown my sorrows. Perhaps I care about winning too much but I doubt I am alone on that score. What makes losing even worse however is when you can't even say that they played a good game. Having to acknowledge that your team is awful and feeling a sense of impending doom every time they take the field is a Debbie Downer on steroids.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
CardiacKid
Legend

Huge Talent wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:48 am
The concert has to be the reason for the roof closure. However, they could have just prepared a stage that has cover in the event of a shower. If they can have half time shows at other outdoor stadiums, they can do it here.

Whatever the reason, it's not a good one. The roof needed to be open, period. We're not just lions fans, we're also the taxpayers who shelled out half a billion dollars.

If it must be closed, then they have no excuse not to have air conditioning. A comfortable 20c without all they muggy humidity and we're not having this discussion.
We attended the game prior to our going camping and staying offline (by and large). We are back in the land of wifi and I still feel compelled to *beeotch*.
The whole BS with the closed roof is galling. The official line from BC Place is to anticipate a muggy evening and dress accordingly. However if I truly attempted to be comfortable, I would be sitting at my seat in my underwear. Total nonsense on their part.

I spoke with both stadium staff and Lions employees; each of whom pointed fingers at the other as the perpetrators behind the closed roof. Now I can appreciate that the decision is determined at a pay grade well above the folks I talked to but the fact they could not say who actually decides says volumes.
CardiacKid
Legend

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:06 am
There is only really one currency that will bring in fans. That is a winning product on the field. We aren't ever going to have the "day of" atmosphere that comes from tailgating. 15 mins of halftime music isn't enough to bring in fans especially when you factor in the costs of the game tickets, parking etc. In fact, while it is better than mascot soccer, if you really wanted to go see these acts in concert, I would argue it would either cost the same or less for a full evening with them.

It isn't really a party atmosphere and the bottom line is that most people come to an event in anticipation of a good time. They are even prepared to endure the negatives of cost and getting there in the pursuit of having a bit of a party. Is that what the experience of a BC Lion's game is like? Not really. These days after you navigate the traffic and the parking. You go into a cavernous, half or more empty stadium. You can of course buy beer and marginal food for highly inflated prices. Sit in plastic seats, get up and down numerous times while people come and go for various reasons, watch your team performing average at best and horrible at worst. Throw in a half time show which historically has been time to go the washroom, buy some more beer or food. Come back watch the second half of average to horrible football and then make your way to the exit; before the end of the game in many cases because the outcome in not in doubt and now you are thinking about the best way to get out of the downtown before you get caught up in the gridlock.

It is a lot to put up with when your team is stinking. You hope that the Lions are going to put the boots to the opponent and when the reverse happens, you leave feeling empty, frustrated and horribly disappointed. All to the tune of a $100.00 bucks or more when you factor in the costs and if you paid for a half decent seat. Call me crazy but most people don't appreciate feeling lower at the end of an evening when you are paying for the privilege. Even if you have post game activities in mind, tell me that having been treated to an awful on field product doesn't put a damper on that. When I drink (which is seldom), I do so to have a good time, not to drown my sorrows. Perhaps I care about winning too much but I doubt I am alone on that score. What makes losing even worse however is when you can't even say that they played a good game. Having to acknowledge that your team is awful and feeling a sense of impending doom every time they take the field is a Debbie Downer on steroids.
I totally agree. I can handle a loss as long as the home team gives me something, anything to cheer.
But when their play can be generously described as ineffectual, it leaves a bad taste and me feeling like an ass for supporting this team.
Right now, my feelings towards the team are roughly on a par with the Joe Galat era.