Lions 18 - Argos 17 -- Post-Game Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hello, run game. Strategy 101.

White was terrific.

Reilly was good.

Durant was terrific.

Cottoy was very good.

The run game got the hogs motivated, and took the pressure off pass blocking.

6:00 min left. Will we go prevent? 8 point lead.

Defence OK. But it was against a weak Argo offence.

It seems like we are ''retraining'' our troops, but we forgot about the run game early in the year.

3:56 left. 2nd down. 17-9 Leos. Time count. Gheezus. Durant = Money. 1st down.

3:00 left. Run for 5. Reilly crushed. He runs left. Where was Carter for a come-back throw? He seemed disinterested. No fire. Nada. When a teammate receiver is gang tackled, one should hustle behind in case of a forced fumble. Carter just stood there.

2:11 left. Face mask on Mackie. 1:38 left. Wilder big gain.

Can we get a stop?

1:03 left. :58. Wilder TD. Ughhh. Ughhhhh. Ughhhhh. Many missed tackles. 2 point convert.

Boesen brain dead.

20 points? No. 18. Because Rainey steps on the line. Gawd.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

A win is a win. That was badly needed. We’ll take it.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Are we any good?

We let the Argos back in.

Do we cut Boesen?

Do we cut Simonize?

Is Carter in the play book?

Awful. The team looks awful.

Why does it seem like we are learning to walk?

Pathetic defence on Argos' final drive. About 5 missed, low effort tries to tackle. The team looks absolutely awful.

New coaches. New players. But I do not think we should look this bad.

Anything good? Run game. Run blocking. White. Durant. Reilly.

Defence missing on a few cylinders.

Claybrooks. Not sure if he has a grip on how to get the team playing well.

Many, many questions.

What the heck happens if Reilly gets dinged?
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

This team is not good. Any other team in the league, we probably aren't even in it. You can't count on your opposition to make the kind of mistakes the Argo's made tonight. If they had taken the 3 instead of going for it on 3rd down, huge difference. Missed single, botched kick off, botched missed FG. Man, we shouldn't be taking any good feelings from this win. We sucked against the worst team in the league playing with a journeyman backup QB.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
swervynmerv
Legend

For the money we are paying Carter it’s a waste.

This is a game where someone like him who likes to run his mouth off about how great he is was invisible against a poor team. The best predictor of the future is past behaviour. Yeah he had shown “flashes” of skill in the past but he is lazy, often ineffective and frankly if his last name was Smith, he would have been out of the league years ago.

Durant , White good. Like what Cottoy is showing, he will get better.

We need another receiver. Somewhere south of the border there has to be some talented guys who have been overlooked . Go find them.

I don’t know what Stubler is calling late in games but I’m starting to wonder if it’s time to take him fishing like they did to Fredo in the Godfather 2.🙈🙈
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Yep, our D is on life support. They can't get the job done when it counts. Twice in two games, we haven't had the moxy to shut down opposing teams for a win. Backup QB's to boot. I don't know what the cure is but truly, you aren't going anywhere when your D can't shut down the opposition when it really matters. I hope Claybrooks takes a more active role in the D. Or is it personnel? Maybe some of the more savvy posters can address that as a question.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions won despite getting no production from Bryan Burnham’s boundary slotback position. Simonise had no catches in three targets in the first three quarters. Bundy had no catches on one target in the fourth quarter.

Durant stepped up big with 11 catches for 125 yards and a TD.

White had a big game with 138 yards rushing and 28 yards receiving.

The Lions had a 13-minute advantage in time of possession. But like last week, when they dominated time of possession throughout the game, the defence went soft in the dying minutes and gave the opponent a chance to get back in it. Fortunately for the Lions, the Argos gave them a chance to win it in regulation. It was just enough.

As I said in an earlier post, we’ll take it. There’s a short week coming up and Edmonton is coming off a bye and will be rested.
David
Team Captain

Stars of the game:

White IV, Durant, Reilly, Edwards, Grymes.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Waiting to see Blitz torch the paint off the walls.

Back later.

But not really looking forward to ''training wheels'' excuses from the coaching staff. ''What we are teaching them is new, different, et cetera.'' I guess it is possible that Claybrooks might eventually look like a good HC. Not yet. Not imo. They just don't look good.

Too tough? The team just does not look good. I hope that changes.

That was the Argos we barely, barely beat.

Once again. White :thup: Durant :thup: Run blocking :thup: Reilly :thup:

STs. Fail. Lucky they did not try to trick us.

Lucky that Chamblin was brain dead.

Personnel issues. Discussed repeatedly in earlier threads.

Rammer
Team Captain

This isn't selling tickets for the next home game, despite a descent offense.

Can't see any improvement without defenders who want to leave their number tattooed on the opposition.
Entertainment value = an all time low
David
Team Captain

Positives:

- Run blocking was very good and White's bursts were exceptional. Very elusive.
- Although many of our drives were snuffed out, after the first quarter we were at least able to get first downs, move the football, and give our defence some rest.
- We really held Wilder in check, with the exception of the Argos' final drive where we got a little soft.
- Castillo played a good game (apart from the 42-yard miss, but he wouldn't have had to re-kick if Boesen had not been drawn offside). His punting really improved tonight.
- Take away the TD (hard to do, I know) but Rainey was largely ineffective against us tonight.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

swervynmerv wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:04 pm
For the money we are paying Carter it’s a waste.
Agree I don't think he will last the season
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

If you can take in a Lions practice you'll see the rationale for not knocking Duron Carter or the other receivers. Folks the structure of offence is a coaching decision and Jarius is continuing in the tradition of the modern BC Lions in being pretty much vanilla and devoid of creativity.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:12 pm
Yep, our D is on life support. They can't get the job done when it counts. Twice in two games, we haven't had the moxy to shut down opposing teams for a win. Backup QB's to boot. I don't know what the cure is but truly, you aren't going anywhere when your D can't shut down the opposition when it really matters. I hope Claybrooks takes a more active role in the D. Or is it personnel? Maybe some of the more savvy posters can address that as a question.
It's the personnel in my opinion. Stubler's defence is predicated on pressuring the quarterback. Willis is past his prime and rookie Matt Boesen has not shown anything
Blitz
Team Captain

Wow, at the end of the game, I just sat there, almost wondering if I was in an altered state of consciousness or I had really truly watched the fiasco of an ending to this Leos Argos football game.

We won our first football game of the season because the Argos basically gifted it to us. They missed the convert on the Chris Rainey touchdown, opted to gamble on third and two, using a slow developing running play, when they should have taken the field goal.

Then they opted to kick off short and put the football out of bounds and then Chris Rainey caught our missed field goal with his toes on the end line, when he had the opportunity to high point the football while keeping his feet in bounds, Crazily, on the previous field goal attempt, they didn't even have Chris Rainey back there.

On our side of the football, we gave up a touchdown drive in the last two minutes of the game, after Claybrooks had preached 57/3 all week, took a procedure penalty on the last second field goal attempt, then missed the field goal.

We were fortunate that Rainey's feet were on the end line or he possibly could have run out the missed field goal attempt all the way. Now that would have been some way to end this game.

But the major problem of our Leos team, dating back to the start of last season is Jarious Jackson and his offence. Its the 'elephant in the room'. When Mike Reilly signed with our Leos, I anticipated that Jackson woud be given 'direction' to turf most of his RPO offence.

Well that has not happened. Its more than obvious Jackson's offensive scheme is a big problem. McAdoo and Jackson had struggles with the scheme in Edmonton, McAdoo has struggled with it in Regina, and Jarious is now in his second season with our Leos and the problems of our offence are the same problems our offence had last season, in Game 1, when Jennings started. They are the same problems that Lulay could not overcome.

Jennings was thrown under the bus by both Hervey and Jackson. Lulay was thrown under the bus twice by Wally. Now Reilly can't even put up more than 3 points of offence in a half, against the lowly Argos or score more than 18 points against them.

We've now seen the Really Pathetic Offence for 24 games now. Even Mike Reilly can't create star dust out of dirt or chicken salad out of ……..

The new era was supposed to be exciting. Instead, Hervey stacked the offence with free agents, went cheap on defense and anticipated that we would just outscore opposing teams with Reilly at the controls, Chung on the offensive line and Duron Carter catching footballs.

Well, I'm no fan of Carter but it really wouldn't matter a whole lot who we replaced him with anyway. Until we can get an offensive scheme that makes sense, its going to be up and down at best and often very frustrating,

Stupid is doing the same thing and expecting a different result. As for Leo fans, naïve would be the word for thinking that making personnel changes of any kind will fix this offence.

To fix this offence this is where the focus needs to be: Jarious Jackson and his offensive scheme. I don't care if its Jarious that has to go or the offensive scheme has to go and he can stay.

This has reached the point of being inexcusable that a first time offensive coordinator is causing so much harm to the product.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)