On your wish-list for upgrades

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

2 defensive ends - we're just not generating enough pressure. Period.

Punter - Castillo has been a great field goal kicker but punting average is suspect.

Punt returner - a Lucky Whitehead guy who can line-up at receiver and make guys miss as a returner. Never really replaced Chris Rainey. Rutley has been a good kick returner though.

Running back depth
- great bounce-back game from White but both he and Rutley have suffered major knee injuries. Who was the last effective import starter we recruited and signed ourselves from the States, Joe Smith?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

INT receivers.

Burnham, imo, is a possession receiver, and he is deservedly an All-Star. He does not get great separation. Not much run after catch. Injured now. He usually has terrific hands. He wins contested passes.

Carter is tall and athletic. Can make some showboat catches. Does not have burner speed imo. Does not get separation. Over-rated imo. I think many coaches would not want him on their team, as he has been disruptive a number of times in the past. And this despite him seeming like a nice, young man.

The cupboard is bare of INT receiver talent. Dime a dozen from the south, but we ain't got 'em.

Just imo ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

International receiver - Bryan Burnham is a Top 5 CFL receiver but he's hurt this week. Duron Carter is an enigma. You never know what you're going to get from him. The only other international receiver under contract is Marquis Bundy, who was activated from the practice roster to back up Carter. It says a lot that a national receiver cut by Winnipeg (Rashaun Simonise) , a rookie straight out of junior (Jevon Cottoy) and a 30-year-old Mexican rookie (Gerardo Alvarez) are all higher on the depth chart than any other American receivers.

Shaq Hill looked good in camp as starting slotback before he was injured and released. He vowed on Twitter to be back but I don't know where or when that will be. Joey Augustin also looked good and appeared to making an impact before he was hurt in the second preseason game and later released.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

ex ED receivers, Williams, Mitchell and Zylstra
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Recruiting, like drafting, is a bit of a hit and miss it would seem. Hence the appeal of the free agent who has a CFL body of work.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

A defensive line especially someone to bring pressure from the ends.
A tight end that we can use for more than just blocking
A deep threat receiver
Some coaching innovation

All things that have been mentioned
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
VictoriaFan
Starter

another Cam Wake
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Well, I hesitated to chime in on this one, as I generally prefer to be positive, and this will sound negative I'm afraid;
I guess the short and simple way to say it for me is to ask 'Where don't we need upgrades?' I see them needed right across the board.
The secondary (weak-link Thompson), the linebackers (none particularly fast-and-ferocious), the d-line (weak-link Boesen and aging Willis).
The QB depth (what do we know after Mike?), the American receivers (it basically starts and ends with Burnham), the running backs (dunno yet about White and Rutley for long-term).
Special teams - Castillo's net punt average is abysmal. No one seems dangerous on the return team.
And speaking of special teams - perhaps my wish-list sees a need for upgrade at coaching position after that onside kick fiasco.
That said, as I understand it, it's the system (see E. Willes articles B.C.FAN linked to) that will make them stronger, so, in the spirit of optimism and positive outlook, I'll finish this by saying if, despite the weak-links they somehow pull it together with teamwork, well, then what the coaches are preaching will happily convert me too.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Based on 2019 recruiting class: new director of player personnel.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

As others have said: rush end, kicker, speed receiver, punt returner and Offensive Coordinator.
David
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:34 pm
Based on 2019 recruiting class: new director of player personnel.
2018 wasn't so hot either. A team partly made up of our own veterans, CFL free agents and castoffs. The only American college recruits were Ricky Lloyd and Ebenezer Ogundeko who were on the roster at various times in 2018. Claudell Louis had a great first year with the club, but he was in Hamilton's 2017 training camp, so I am not sure anyone on the Lions' staff can take credit for that find. 2017 yielded Ty Long which was a good signing.

I have to believe this will come back to bite us in the butt. Our PR should be chock full of guys that are just waiting for their break to show what they can do. I don't believe we have many guys at that stage yet (Jamel Lyles a notable exception, and Grant Kraemer could be a great prospect).

But where are the William Stanbacks they we're supposed to be grooming for next year and beyond?
Roar, You Lions, Roar
pennw
Legend

To be fair other teams also recycle lots of players from other teams too . Watching other games I see players who were on our practice roster playing elsewhere . I saw George Uko for instance the other day playing for Ottawa . He was on our practice roster . Bombers are full of ex-Lions . Plenty on the Rider roster too . BC draft pick Ese Mrabure who somehow could not crack our 46 man roster , was a starter for the Riders , and now is a starter for the Stamps . And that is hardly an exhaustive survey .

Having said that I would like to see a some improvememt too , so far the DE position has been less than impressive .However , according to Claybrooks ,in that Province article posted by BCfan , it's the system and we will soon see results.

Like most , I think we could use another great import receiver .

Lemar Durant has been a bright spot though and I would have liked to see him moved over into Burnham's spot .

As for LB , Solly sat out most of last year already and Herdman did a great job there in that time . Many seemed to think Herdman actually was better stopping the run in relief . So no drop off there from last year .
David
Team Captain

Looking forward to see if Korey Toomer (activated) gets reps today. He's an NFL vet and a former 5th round pick (154th overall) of the Seahawks. Ironically, he had 124 tackles in the NFL as a linebacker, but it looks like we're converting him to play rush end to behind Boesen (who's been mostly ineffective, 7 tackles, 0 sacks). I would expect to see Toomer play a role on special teams today.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
The_Pauser
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:16 pm
ex ED receivers, Williams, Mitchell and Zylstra
This.

I've been a huge backer of Duron Carter but he has not impressed me, granted he hasn't seen many balls thrown his way so it's not entirely his fault. I just don't see a difference maker in him anymore.

If we have the opportunity to sign one of those three receivers that would be huge.

Beyond that, 2 defensive ends as we really don't have a pass rush.
Roar you Lions roar!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It's popular to criticize Mat Boesen's play because he doesn't have any QB sacks but he leads all B.C. defensive linemen with 10 tackles, including a tackle for a loss. Willis has 8 tackles including 2 TFLs, Coleman has 7 tackles, Louis has 5 including a TFL, Allan has 4 including a TFL and Luke has 4.

The D-line as a whole doesn't have many sacks. Willis and Coleman have 2 and Luke has 1.

Willis and Boesen are the only D-linemen who have been credited with a pass knockdown.

It's fair to conclude the defensive line has underperformed as a unit overall but Boesen appears to be doing what the coaches have asked of him.

PS: I just noticed that Willie Jefferson, the prized defensive end in CFL free agency, has only 2 tackles and 1 sack for his new team in Winnipeg.