Mike Reilly talks about mental health

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/07/03/mike-reil ... off-field/

Amazing article.

We know pro athletes can go through hell. It can be like post traumatic stress disorder, panic attacks, or pain killer addiction, or any number of other issues related to their work, or just from the pressures of everyday life.

I say well done, Mike, for sharing. People need to hear this from community leaders, such as you are. Just another example of the courage you have always shown. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
BC 1988
Legend

Interviewed in his usual Wednesday spot with Sekeres & Price, Reilly discusses the topic as well as the upcoming game.
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1332657
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

My hat's off to Mike Reilly. This only increases his stature in my mind and he already loomed large. I wish him well and I thank him for sharing his difficult experience and the struggle that ensued. And what I most appreciate is his understanding that the most effective way to target mental health issues is to highlight and support the youth in society. That he supports and names the Foundry BC and Bounceback organizations is a shot in the arm for such. Another valuable resource is the free online Mental Health Quarterly publication published by Children's Health Policy Centre, a research centre at SFU. Among other things their website provides a handy subject index. These various organizations/resources understand that it only makes sense to pay attention and make themselves accessible to folks when they're young before their issues balloon into something chronic and/or unmanageable in adulthood. Thumbs up, Mike! Powerful stuff.