Biggest Game of the Year in Toronto

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnnyMusso
Champion

Lions showed great progress to me against Calgary until the 3 minute meltdown. Now they play the Argos, a very winnable game, but traditionally the Lions have played poorly in Toronto. This to me is the biggest game of the year if Lions are to turn the season around. If the win, they may go on a winning streak. If they lose they go 0 and 4 and play a tough Eskimos team the following week and then a Riders team with a motivated Solly and Manny.

Lions will not say it, but I think this game will decide their season. If they lose, I just don't see them going 10 and 6 or 11 and 5 rest of the way.

This is a game they must have or else it could be a losing season and more changes next year.
The_Pauser
Legend

Luckily it’s against the lowly Argos. The Lions have to put together a decent stretch coming out of an 0-3 start. We have Toronto, home to Edmonton, and then a back to back with Saskatchewan. Going 4-0 in that period put some us up to 4-3 and right back in it. It’s possible and would really build up team spirits.

Based on how we played last night I think we are close. After all, we dominated Calgary for 57 minutes.
Roar you Lions roar!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Argos play this afternoon. It will be a short week for them to prepare and rest up for the Lions.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:19 am
Argos play this afternoon. It will be a short week for them to prepare and rest up for the Lions.
Actually tomorrow at 4. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
Luck1sOnOurSid3
Rookie

This team showed large growth yesterday; yes the Win or the Loss is all that matters... but if you are interested in their growth, they just dominated for 57 minutes with a diverse offense and a defense that held its own against BLM.

Yes we lost... in possibly the worst way possible. But this team is growing and that is what is important. They will win against Toronto and start building some momentum (I hope and really do think they will). This is a very talented team with good coaches. It takes time to gel and get rolling.

The offense is going to start putting up a lot of points as Reilly and Co. grow chemistry and trust. My only concern is the pressure our defensive line is getting. If we can start getting pressure I think this is a very dangerous team and will start stringing a lot of wins together.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Ballistic Bob wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:09 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:19 am
Actually tomorrow at 4. BB
Even shorter week to prepare :wink:
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Just hope the Lions don't take the Argos too lightly especially if they lose big tomorrow in Regina.

I think they will beat the Argos, but cannot say that with 100% confidence, for I have seen this team lose games against bad teams before. I am about 75% certain, but that 25% doubt worries me. Argos will be motivated too to win if they lose tomorrow.
prj
Starter

I thought the Lions had improved their pass coverage, but that last 1:45 suggests not. To my eyes, the Stamps ran essentially the same play -- a deep curl route in front of the defenders -- repeatedly and successfully. TV replays rarely provide much for analysis, so I would welcome a different interpretation. In any event, they ran it very successfully. I hope Stubler can find some alternate schemes; the one they ran will lead to more problems, I fear.

Other than that, I liked the growth they displayed. It's too early to consider the season a failure.
Luck1sOnOurSid3
Rookie

prj wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:10 pm
I thought the Lions had improved their pass coverage, but that last 1:45 suggests not. To my eyes, the Stamps ran essentially the same play -- a deep curl route in front of the defenders -- repeatedly and successfully. TV replays rarely provide much for analysis, so I would welcome a different interpretation. In any event, they ran it very successfully. I hope Stubler can find some alternate schemes; the one they ran will lead to more problems, I fear.

Other than that, I liked the growth they displayed. It's too early to consider the season a failure.
I think one of our big weaknesses on defense is pass pressure. Our DBs have to play back and respect deep passes because QBs have enough time to throw there... which opens up curl routes. If we could consistently get pressure, they could tighten up on those routes and maybe even jump a few.
Foxhound
Starter

So what type of lower body problem kept Brian Burnham from practicing yesterday? Hole in his sock? Or something more worrisome?

:popcorn:
Radically Canadian!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Foxhound wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:09 am
So what type of lower body problem kept Brian Burnham from practicing yesterday? Hole in his sock? Or something more worrisome?

Burnham was visibly limping in the aftermath of the onside kick at the end of the Calgary game. It looked like he landed awkwardly.
BC 1988
Legend

James Franklin goes on the 6 game with a hamstring injury. Hard to tell if this good news/bad news for BC, since MBT is a capable replacement.
https://3downnation.com/2019/07/03/hams ... sidelines/
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to Dave Naylor of TSN, Argos QB James Franklin is expected to be placed on the 6-game injured list.

Argos' Franklin expected to go on 6-game IL
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Kind of pathetic that we are at the make or break point in the season at game 4.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
BC 1988
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:14 am
Foxhound wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:09 am

Burnham was visibly limping in the aftermath of the onside kick at the end of the Calgary game. It looked like he landed awkwardly.
Yesterday on TSN they were calling it a "calf" injury, now they are calling it an "ankle" injury, making him "questionable" for Saturday in TOR.