Coaching or Lack of it?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnnyMusso
Champion

I agree too about the dress code thing. I could not care less and really, players for years have had long hair sticking out of the helmets. Who cares.

The issue with this team is their record. Yes, it is just 3 games in, but I ask everyone here, do you believe this team can go 9 and 6 the rest of the way to get to 500, which last year was not good enough to make the playoffs? I don't think they can. Yes they played 3 tough teams, but all that matters is wins and losses. They should have won yesterday. They were up by 11 with 3 minutes left and blew it.

I disagree that they could have beat the Eskimos. Yes they were up by 14 , but after 1 quarter. After that they fell apart and were not even close to winning that. This was the game that deserved to win, but blew it. How they respond next week could decide their season. Traditionally, Lions do not play well in Toronto. They lose that game and I say the season is over. I just cannot see them recovering.

Also did the Lions really need to make wholesale changes again? I question doing that 2 years in a row and also question Claybrooks hiring basically a rookie staff.

Also I think having an absentee owner does make a difference. Braley is out of sight out of mind and should have sold the team long ago. We need owners who show up to games and show they care. The team's market value is continuing to plummet and Lions have fallen to 3rd most popular team in the market. Maybe even 4th behind the Giants. Most people in Vancouver just don't care about the team and that is on Braley.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

This fan does not like the 0 and 3 record. I think we have personnel issues. Not sure if we will even be able to fix the defence, as things stand now.

But this fan likes and accepts DeVone Claybrooks' style of dress and behaviour. He is an engaging personality. Those have nothing to do with the results on the field. He was very, very successful as DC in Calgary.

Ed Hervey has had success as a GM. He makes bold moves. He has hired successful Head Coaches. He has shown the ability to find players with talent. This fan has been hopeful with his hiring.

Let's not talk critically any more about how DeVone Claybrooks wears his hat, nor make references to Boys from the Hood, in regard to our GM Ed Hervey or Head Coach Claybrooks. Unacceptable. Inappropriate. And no one cares what work any fans do. We don't need to hear fans talk about credentials in one's private life.

Fans are upset, even angry. But let's keep the discourse civil, as one might expect in Canada.

This fan supports Ed Hervey, DeVone Claybrooks, our staff and players, as we try to get the ship moving in the right direction. Criticism? Sure, but make it about football, coaching, playing, games, systems, personnel, et cetera. Not about where or how someone might have grown up, nor about style of dress, nor about someone's hairstyle.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The attack on the HC are not cool nor should be part of this forum despite all being entitled to their views. But Ray Nettles would not have made comments on how his coach wears his hat as he didn't wear his hair like the norm of others - in fact that is what made him more endearing to fans across the CFL - his look, his fierce competitiveness, his complete lack of fear when facing whoever was across from him and of course riding the Harley. Not the norm for most of the players but like Garrett Hunsperger and Bud Magrum and way to OG Ed Sharkey who got tossed for brawling and even a fight while eating at the former Capilano Grill in North Van - there were those amazing characters who despite not always the norm were loved by fans.

As to coaching - all new coaches take time to learn their roles and not all were like a Dave Dickenson - trained and prepared over a few years on the job and in the same organization which I'm hoping that Claybrooks builds here in BC as he's also a product the Stamps coaching factory.

I fault the Lions for not putting out a hands team on the onside kick. The Stamps ST coach had those guys prepared better and their kicker looks prepared to know how to keep the ball in the air long enough - something lacking in most kickers these days.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Does the CFL have the same rule as the NFL about how many players can line up on one side or another on a kickoff. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
VictoriaFan
Starter

How quickly people forget that under Wally with Washington and Jackson and Dorazzio all seasoned coaches, the Lions sucked for quite a few seasons, that's with all the veterans, give Claybrooke a chance
David
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:35 am
Not the norm for most of the players but like Garrett Hunsperger and Bud Magrum and way to OG Ed Sharkey who got tossed for brawling and even a fight while eating at the former Capilano Grill in North Van - there were those amazing characters who despite not always the norm were loved by fans.
Let's not forget a couple of other incidents. On October 13, 1964, offensive tackle Bill (Li'l Abner) Frank who was listed at 270 lbs but played at 280 lbs - massive in those days - made quick work of teammate Pat Claridge in the back alley of a Vancouver beer parlour (I think it may have been outside the Town Pump or close by. I once met a guy who witnessed it). Claridge required 20 stitches.

Then in 1966, Rudy (Fang) Reschke, at the urging of teammates during a bet, bit the buttocks of a Vancouver cocktail waitress. Yes, we have had some characters in Lions' colours through the years!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Luck1sOnOurSid3
Rookie

Seems like OP is more concerned with the way someone looks and less about their play or coaching.

Claybrooks hasn’t made any bone head decisions yet, save for maybe keeping Reilly in against Edmonton... but even then he had justification. Two score games are not out of reach as we saw last night.

I think that with a new HC you need to give him some building time. Maas needed a year or two to get his feet underneath him and is now doing fine. We have had massive turn over and it will take a little time to build chemistry and momentum. We saw our offense take a huge step last game and our defense play good football against a potent offense save for the last two possessions.

We don’t need to win every single game, we need to make the playoffs with some momentum. No one loses the Grey Cup in June or July. People need to take a deep breath and realize Rome wasn’t built in a day.
MikeAK
All Star

It is way too early to be calling for the coach to be fired. Some people forget just how much personnel turnover we had this past offseason. To expect the team to come out firing on all cylinders after such a short training camp is just flat out wishful thinking. The team was bound to have wrinkles and that's exactly what we're seeing now. There is still a lot of football left to be played and anything can happen.

Also, attacking the coach because of the way he wears his hat or for the way he dresses is just flat out garbage. If this team were 3-0 you'd likely not have anything to say on it. Personally, I couldn't care less how the man wears his hats or his style of dressing. All I care about is professionalism and he's exactly that.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Folks have to give the hat thing a rest. Harping about it is already getting incredibly lame. I'd rather see him wear it that way than backwards like Benevides did or wearing one of those goofy flat brim hats. As he said himself when he was hired "if people are have their shorts in a knot about his hat then they're paying attention to all the wrong things". Claybrooks told us in camp the main reason he wears it that way is all about comfort and fit. In his teens he had a size 8 melon and couldn't get hats that big so he had to make do. My melon is only 7-5/8 and I have a hard time with hats. I need either a pro-fit sized 7-5/8 or a fully adjustable lid. An XL "one size" feels like a vice is on my head after an hour or so. It's always the brim digging into my forehead that is the problem. Maybe I need to give it a quarter turn to relieve the strain. ;)
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Ray Nettles Ghost
prospect

First Off....We are ALL entitled to our own opinions and views.
That is the beauty of being on a Forum.
You are missing the point entirely about his hat, or what I am stating by even bringing it up.
Lets just say, that guy looks anything BUT Professional in my own opinion, and if I happen to see it, I am sure that a few of his players see it as well.
When it comes to Nettles and Hunsberger and Estay etc.....these guys were ALL actual "PLAYERS", who all Played "BALLS OUT" on every single play, and have absolutely nothing in common with some Head Coach trying to LOOK COOL, with his Hat stapled onto his head.....Side Ways!
Claybrooks isn't worthy to carry their Jock Starps for them, so trying to compare Mr Groovy Head Coach with these Icons and Hall of Famers, is a Joke in itself.
What has Claybrooks ever done in Football, besides BLOW his first 3 Games.....In a Row, by being Out Coached?
This is the problem with Vancouver "Fans"......They are all sooooo PC, that it just makes our Teams nauseating to even watch.
We have the "WE ARE ALL CANUCKS" Fan.......who actually thinks, that these Bottom Dwellers actually have a Shot at the Cup....each and every year, and all that they do......is continually LOSE!
We have the Soccer crowd who ALL think, that they are going to have another 1979 White Cap Flash Back.....each and every year , and all that they ever do, is continually LOSE each and every year.
Then we have the Lions "Fan" who actually THINK......that this is the Year....yet...all that the Lions ever do, is just continue to LOSE!
Yet......we have Mr Know It all "FAN".........just eating it all up, with Hopes.....that this just might be another 2011 year for them, again.
This is just a Business people, and nothing more than just that!
Do you really think that the Lions Ownership, actually cares about YOU or about the other so called Fans out there?
When we were all kids, growing up ( those of us who are now in our later 50s and UP ) .....for those of us out there, that have been FANS of the Lions ever since we were old enough to know who they were.... the Lions would show up at our Schools.........the Lions would hand out Tickets to all the Kids in our Schools......there was the Woodwards Quarterback Club......CHEAP Tickets for the Family.......CHEAP Hot Dogs......CHEAP Drinks......We all got to run out on the Field after each and every game and pretend that we were Joe Kapp or Jim Evenson or Jim Young or Bill Baker or Brock Angley etc......Now a days the Lions could give a F@$# about their YOUNG Fans or the Struggling Families out there, that can not afford being able to take the Kids to a game......YET.....they sure Love it .....when you Fans.....Defend them.....in spite of the fact that they could care less about any of you.
Its a BUSINESS people.....and nothing more than just that!
If any of us,......SCREWED UP at work, as much as these Business's do and Coaches do.....we would get our Ass's FIRED, quicker than we could be shown the Door!
Last nights game.......was absolutely PATHETIC!
Heads should ROLL, just to show the Fans.....that they actually care!
FIRE the D Coach.......FIRE the ST Coach......FIRE Claybrooks and his Immature Hat!
Hey Claybrooks, you are a "GROWN MAN" NOW.......You are Upper Management NOW!
Dress the part!
IMAGE is everything, when it comes to your Position in Life.
Respect comes with that IMAGE that you portray.
My point is, spend a lot less time, trying to create your own "Unique" "Immature" Fashion statement and spend a hell of a lot more time.....on YOUR JOB!
Care MORE.....about the Game......Care MORE about IMPROVING.......Care MORE about COACHING.......and spend a lot less Time.....looking like a "Snoop Dog" Clone or Mr Groovy Players Coach.
The Players are obviously not listening to your Coaching expertise!
Do you think that your "Veteran" Players actually Respect YOU and your Groovy "Immature" Image?
I am welcome to my own Opinions and to Express them, just as you are, and No Matter how WRONG you all are, I am not telling you......that you are not entitled to your own View Points and your own Opinions, or you trying to state, that we here in Canada, are not able to express ourselves in any way that we are wanting to do it!
You might not agree, with my choice of words or the way that I express myself, but.....that is my right to do, as a Canadian and as a Football FAN.
Feel Free to say what ever you want, that is your Right.
Just as it is my Right, to express my own Views and Opinions.
Vancouver Fans are just so used to LOSING.....Year in and Year Out.....they forget what it actually takes to be a WINNER!
BC Lion Fans would rather use the 2011 edition BC Lions as an example and as a SLIM HOPE and Prayer for a Game Plan and for a Win......rather than using Winnipeg Blue Bombers - Calgary and Edmonton as a measuring stick for Success.
You are welcome to your Dreams.......just as I am welcome to the Reality of this Team and this Sad organization.
It is the disagreeing, that make Forums and Topics like this one, interesting to read.
Don't keep getting your Panties in a knot there Ladies, every time that you hear the Truth, or every time that someone says it like it is.
The Lions have SUCKED continually, year after year after year after year...and this year is obviously is not going to be any different than the last 8 long years have!
Lets see what you Loyal Fans have to say, when Claybrooks and Hervey get their Ass's FIRED in the next few weeks.
That Slanted Hat LOOK, is going to blend right on in with everyone else, on the corner of Hastings and Sunrise.
Just my own opinion.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I don't recall the poster but someone here on Lionbackers coined the term "Coach Side Hat". I love it.

Oh, and anyone who thinks that a rookie HC with a mostly young staff and a dozen new starters is going to find early season success, has even more unrealistic expectations than those who think a 2011 come back type season is possible this season.

Calling for the firing of a rookie HC 3 games in, along with his GM shows a lack of critical thinking....Not being a good critical thinker if one is a District Manager for a large financial institution is not a desirable trait...Just say'n.
aklawitter
All Star

I stopped reading at the hat thing.

Some people never grow up, I guess.

Stick to Facebook comments, champ.
The_Pauser
Legend

Ray Nettles Ghost wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:54 pm
First Off....We are ALL entitled to our own opinions and views.
That is the beauty of being on a Forum.
You are missing the point entirely about his hat, or what I am stating by even bringing it up.
Lets just say, that guy looks anything BUT Professional in my own opinion, and if I happen to see it, I am sure that a few of his players see it as well.
When it comes to Nettles and Hunsberger and Estay etc.....these guys were ALL actual "PLAYERS", who all Played "BALLS OUT" on every single play, and have absolutely nothing in common with some Head Coach trying to LOOK COOL, with his Hat stapled onto his head.....Side Ways!
Claybrooks isn't worthy to carry their Jock Starps for them, so trying to compare Mr Groovy Head Coach with these Icons and Hall of Famers, is a Joke in itself.
What has Claybrooks ever done in Football, besides BLOW his first 3 Games.....In a Row, by being Out Coached?
This is the problem with Vancouver "Fans"......They are all sooooo PC, that it just makes our Teams nauseating to even watch.
We have the "WE ARE ALL CANUCKS" Fan.......who actually thinks, that these Bottom Dwellers actually have a Shot at the Cup....each and every year, and all that they do......is continually LOSE!
We have the Soccer crowd who ALL think, that they are going to have another 1979 White Cap Flash Back.....each and every year , and all that they ever do, is continually LOSE each and every year.
Then we have the Lions "Fan" who actually THINK......that this is the Year....yet...all that the Lions ever do, is just continue to LOSE!
Yet......we have Mr Know It all "FAN".........just eating it all up, with Hopes.....that this just might be another 2011 year for them, again.
This is just a Business people, and nothing more than just that!
Do you really think that the Lions Ownership, actually cares about YOU or about the other so called Fans out there?
When we were all kids, growing up ( those of us who are now in our later 50s and UP ) .....for those of us out there, that have been FANS of the Lions ever since we were old enough to know who they were.... the Lions would show up at our Schools.........the Lions would hand out Tickets to all the Kids in our Schools......there was the Woodwards Quarterback Club......CHEAP Tickets for the Family.......CHEAP Hot Dogs......CHEAP Drinks......We all got to run out on the Field after each and every game and pretend that we were Joe Kapp or Jim Evenson or Jim Young or Bill Baker or Brock Angley etc......Now a days the Lions could give a F@$# about their YOUNG Fans or the Struggling Families out there, that can not afford being able to take the Kids to a game......YET.....they sure Love it .....when you Fans.....Defend them.....in spite of the fact that they could care less about any of you.
Its a BUSINESS people.....and nothing more than just that!
If any of us,......SCREWED UP at work, as much as these Business's do and Coaches do.....we would get our Ass's FIRED, quicker than we could be shown the Door!
Last nights game.......was absolutely PATHETIC!
Heads should ROLL, just to show the Fans.....that they actually care!
FIRE the D Coach.......FIRE the ST Coach......FIRE Claybrooks and his Immature Hat!
Hey Claybrooks, you are a "GROWN MAN" NOW.......You are Upper Management NOW!
Dress the part!
IMAGE is everything, when it comes to your Position in Life.
Respect comes with that IMAGE that you portray.
My point is, spend a lot less time, trying to create your own "Unique" "Immature" Fashion statement and spend a hell of a lot more time.....on YOUR JOB!
Care MORE.....about the Game......Care MORE about IMPROVING.......Care MORE about COACHING.......and spend a lot less Time.....looking like a "Snoop Dog" Clone or Mr Groovy Players Coach.
The Players are obviously not listening to your Coaching expertise!
Do you think that your "Veteran" Players actually Respect YOU and your Groovy "Immature" Image?
I am welcome to my own Opinions and to Express them, just as you are, and No Matter how WRONG you all are, I am not telling you......that you are not entitled to your own View Points and your own Opinions, or you trying to state, that we here in Canada, are not able to express ourselves in any way that we are wanting to do it!
You might not agree, with my choice of words or the way that I express myself, but.....that is my right to do, as a Canadian and as a Football FAN.
Feel Free to say what ever you want, that is your Right.
Just as it is my Right, to express my own Views and Opinions.
Vancouver Fans are just so used to LOSING.....Year in and Year Out.....they forget what it actually takes to be a WINNER!
BC Lion Fans would rather use the 2011 edition BC Lions as an example and as a SLIM HOPE and Prayer for a Game Plan and for a Win......rather than using Winnipeg Blue Bombers - Calgary and Edmonton as a measuring stick for Success.
You are welcome to your Dreams.......just as I am welcome to the Reality of this Team and this Sad organization.
It is the disagreeing, that make Forums and Topics like this one, interesting to read.
Don't keep getting your Panties in a knot there Ladies, every time that you hear the Truth, or every time that someone says it like it is.
The Lions have SUCKED continually, year after year after year after year...and this year is obviously is not going to be any different than the last 8 long years have!
Lets see what you Loyal Fans have to say, when Claybrooks and Hervey get their Ass's FIRED in the next few weeks.
That Slanted Hat LOOK, is going to blend right on in with everyone else, on the corner of Hastings and Sunrise.
Just my own opinion.
You don’t have the right to make derogatory comments based on race. And while you for the most part kept that garbage out of this post, that still didn’t make it any more coherent to read. Your sexist remarks also have zero place on these forums. Again, for someone who bragged about his job on the last page your lack of intelligence really comes out in your posting style, capitalizing random words like some politician down south, and your overall tone that evokes images of some drunk junkie who is screaming at the clouds.

Either way, I can’t say that Claybrooks will work out as HC. I can’t say that Hervey will have his contract renewed. I can say that both will get this season though. I also will say that 3 games is a ridiculously low amount of time to give someone. Not to mention you seemingly don’t understand the CFL has a cap for coaches so just randomly firing people isn’t as simple as you wish.
Roar you Lions roar!
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Ray Nettles Ghost:

If you followed the CFL this year, you would know that the CFL introduced a coaches salary cap for every team, so like in years past, teams cannot fire lots of coaches like they do in NFL in mid season, for they have already reached the cap. They cannot do it for they will go over it and be fined. That is why when Montreal fired Sherman after the preseason Khari Jones was hired and had to be the OC and receivers coach too.

Second point, Claybrooks told a story why he wears a hat that way and it goes way back, 20 years or so and he has been doing it every since. Football coaches are not like hockey, a lot dress very casual. I feel like others, the way he dresses not important. Most people really don't care.

Third, Hervey will not be fired mid season, but his contract is up at year end, so he could be fired then if Lions have a poor season.

Four, the guy who hired Ed Hervey is Wally Buono. You cannot fire him, for he is now retired and he is the one who believed Ed was capable of filling his shoes. I guess you missed the press conference when Wally introduced Ed and announced he had hired him as the new GM last year.

I think you have to give the Lions time. 3 games not make a season. Let's see how they are at the half way point.
MikeAK
All Star

The_Pauser wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:05 pm

You don’t have the right to make derogatory comments based on race. And while you for the most part kept that garbage out of this post, that still didn’t make it any more coherent to read. Your sexist remarks also have zero place on these forums. Again, for someone who bragged about his job on the last page your lack of intelligence really comes out in your posting style, capitalizing random words like some politician down south, and your overall tone that evokes images of some drunk junkie who is screaming at the clouds.

Either way, I can’t say that Claybrooks will work out as HC. I can’t say that Hervey will have his contract renewed. I can say that both will get this season though. I also will say that 3 games is a ridiculously low amount of time to give someone. Not to mention you seemingly don’t understand the CFL has a cap for coaches so just randomly firing people isn’t as simple as you wish.
I can't believe you were able to read and understand that post. Respect.