Stampeders 36 - Lions 32 -- Post-Game Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Ballistic Bob
Legend

I'm still optimistic. We gave the GC Champs a scare. Reilly makes me forget about Jennings. Bb
Wear orange or wear nothing
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:08 pm
But I feel the need to vent my spleen too....so now that "Root, Toot, We Just Gotta Execute" has gone the way of the dodo bird, with Wally's retirement, I need a new lament.

So here it is...sung by Ed Hervey, wearing his Leos top while secretly wearing gold and green underwear.

Hold bold, because instead I'm always sold
On any player who's ever worn green and gold
Its an urge and drive that cant' be controlled
I need players who have worn that 'ol green and gold

The virtues of an ex-Eskimo are foretold
You just can't beat that green and gold
I cannot and will not be consoled
Until every Leo has at one time worn green and gold

I may be scornful and known to be cold
When I was made they definitely broke the mold
And when we win the Cup it will be special to behold
That every Leo will have previously worn green and gold
Ha ha :thup:

Time for Ed to get over that Schmos thing. Get back to finding his own INT players from the huge U.S. talent pool.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
David
Team Captain

Maybe we ought to set up our own pipeline protests in Surrey? This Alberta pipeline project though isn't transporting raw bitumen. It is a pipeline of Eskimo green and gold that keeps finding its way to the West Coast.

The new decal for our helmets:
Ex Eskimo

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Blitz
Team Captain

Ha ha

Time for Ed to get over that Schmos thing. Get back to finding his own INT players from the huge U.S. talent pool. WCJ
Maybe we ought to set up our own pipeline protests in Surrey? This Alberta pipeline project though isn't transporting raw bitumen. It is a pipeline of Eskimo green and gold that keeps finding its way to the West Coast. The new decal for our helmets:Ex Eskimo

David
Love it!!

Its a good idea to protest the green and gold player pipeline. A few of them are environmental risks for polluting our lineup.

Besides, there has not been enough consultation and perhaps a court challenge is in order.

I'm sure Horgan and the Greens would support us Leo fans....if for no other reason than opposing anything from Alberta.

There is a rumor that Ed is trying to steal Edmonton's waterboy. When (if) we win the Grey Cup with Ed as our GM, Ed plans to trot out the Edmonton waterboy to prove that Edmonton made a mistake in firing Ed.

The hate in Ed's belly due to his Edmonton firing has both good and bad in it. The good is that it inspires and drives him to want to win another Grey Cup badly just to shove it in Edmonton's face. The bad thing is that Ed wants to do it with ex-Eskimo players to such an extent, that it colors his thinking.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

I'm usually the Debbie Downer of this board, but aside from the meltdown I liked what I saw. Progress. They played with authority. The wins will come if they continue like this. Having said that;

Duron Carter. Pack you bags.

We need a pass rush. No pressure and the backs can't cover.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I'm glad so many fans on this board see the progress the team made this week and are feeling positive about the season. For those who still think the sky is falling, consider the way the Lions started their three most recent Grey Cup seasons.

2000: 2-4
2006: 2-3
2011: 0-5

It's a long season. The team still needs to get in the habit of closing out games, but the talent is there to compete with anyone.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I think Ed is just going a lot with players that he is most familiar with and that happens to mostly be former Esks. It is now, 3 years (I think) since he departed Edmonton so with the way CFL rosters turn over from year to year, Ed will very soon run out of Esks, both former and current with whom he has any familiarity.

Thus, imo the Edmonton pipeline to Vancouver is going to shut down. Too bad as I have no problem with the likes of Reilly, White, Figeroa, Peters, Grymes, Konar. (any similarity to some what similar events outside of football concerning pipelines is intentional). :wink:
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:29 pm
I'm glad so many fans on this board see the progress the team made this week and are feeling positive about the season. For those who still think the sky is falling, consider the way the Lions started their three most recent Grey Cup seasons.
I'm normally pretty optimistic too, but that was just a soul-destroying way to lose an important divisional game. I just hope they can recover and not lose all their confidence. After Reilly's TD I thought, great, 1-2, a big win on the road in a tough stadium. This will give the doubters and fence-sitters something to get excited about. Not a chance. :bang:

Yes, it's progress, but that was a ripe-for-the-picking Stamps team. They lost a lot of players in the off-season and sustained a lot of injuries in the game (McLennan and I believe two other starters plus BLM late). The Esks were without Anthony Orange, Jovan Santos-Knox, and Don Unamba. I hate to think what happens to us when the inevitable injury bug hits.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

More problematic is having our second International receiver (Carter) be a consistent double threat, along with Burnham. Part of the problem is not Carter. Our RPO offence does not use Carter's strengths. Instead our RPO offence uses Carter for quick outs, quick curls and quick slants.

Carter, like Burnham, is a much better receiver as an intermediate route runner, where he can make plays rather than being utilized as a disciplined route running possession style receiver, which he will never excel at.
Saw a practice this past week and Carter was as noted used like in the game on short stuff but there were a few deep bombs that Reilly got to him that brought the team alive that practice.

But for the most part having Carter start from a standing start is nuts if you want to get someone down deep.

June Jones came to the Ticats and look at Banks went from nearly done according to pundits, fans and coaches to one of the top players in the CFL. Schemes matter.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:08 pm
Maybe we ought to set up our own pipeline protests in Surrey? This Alberta pipeline project though isn't transporting raw bitumen. It is a pipeline of Eskimo green and gold that keeps finding its way to the West Coast.

The new decal for our helmets:
Ex Eskimo

Please, please, no more undiluted "hityouman"
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
BC 1988
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:09 am
Altilio. Fail. Worst prep for onside kick one could imagine.
Agree that was the play that cost BC the game (it hurts mostly because CGY was very beatable.) On the broadcast there was purrfect timing of getting the graphic of Altilio on screen just before the play--looking like he had no idea what was about to happen.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

BC 1988 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:38 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:09 am
Altilio. Fail. Worst prep for onside kick one could imagine.
Agree that was the play that cost BC the game (it hurts mostly because CGY was very beatable.) On the broadcast there was purrfect timing of getting the graphic of Altilio on screen just before the play--looking like he had no idea what was about to happen.
The Lions had the hands team in place and Burnham was perfectly positioned to catch the kick, which is what you want. The failure was that no one blocked the Calgary player who got through cleanly and tipped the ball away from Burnham to set up the recovery. I couldn’t tell from the TV replay whose responsibility that was.
David
Team Captain

Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but I would have had Carter positioned back there to high point the football, with Cottoy lined up wide (for a conventional onside kick). No knock on Burnham, he has great hands, but Carter is a (punt) returner so is likely better equipped to recover a bouncing ball in traffic (assuming he didn't catch it).

But I agree - I can't understand why those Stampeder players (Klukas etc) were not blocked up. Giulio called it too. Kicking against a stiff breeze is actually an advantage to the onside kick team. He was right.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
cms22
Starter

good comments by everyone.

the eskimos obsession is frankly bizarre.

a few problems with it,

1) as noted, his interaction with them is old. CFL is not a good backwards looking talent league. football isn't a great backwards looking talent sport. it's a young athlete's sport.

2) this may seem like a contradiction to #1 but hold on to your own players who have worked out... if it's not broke, don't fix it.... plus you have leadership/continuity/etc.. something your own players provide but new players usually do not.

3) it costs alot of $$$$ to get former eskimos to come here. you are targetting very narrowly and the players and their agents know it. so you pay too much for these players

4) someone hit the nail right on the head that we need to go back to the ENORMOUS NCAA TALENT pool to find pass rushers. and all other import positions. but pass rush especially

i can't understand how we could have gone with massive personnel changes two years in a row....... AND, massive player changes with players playing in unfamiliar positions...... SIMPLY BIZARRE

the whole thing blows my mind... and i don't think/say that too often.
cms22
Starter

i dislike duron carter immensely. think he's mentally ill (not like he shouldn't be walking the streets or anything)... i wasn't in favor of his signing... BUT, just to be fair, i think his play has been ok