Stampeders 36 - Lions 32 -- Post-Game Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

He hasn't had much impact either way to this point it seems.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

As I recall, when Wally Buono came to us from the Stamps we had a number of players that had played for them playing for us for some number of seasons. Antonio Warren, Kelvin Anderson, Otis Floyd, Duncan O'Mahoney, Dave Dickenson and I'm sure there are others I don't remember. I do remember it seeming as if BC were Calgary west for while.
pennw
Legend

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:03 pm
As I recall, when Wally Buono came to us from the Stamps we had a number of players that had played for them playing for us for some number of seasons. Antonio Warren, Kelvin Anderson, Otis Floyd, Duncan O'Mahoney, Dave Dickenson and I'm sure there are others I don't remember. I do remember it seeming as if BC were Calgary west for while.

That's pretty typical whenever some one like a gm or hc move to another team .Some are making way more of it than i think is warranted. We got a number of new faces who came from elsewhere too . Lemar Durant -Calgary ,Suk Chung -Winnipeg , Duron Carter -Saskatchewan , Branden Rutley -Montreal , Maleki Harris-Calgary , Branden Dozier -Montreal , Rashaun Simonise -Winnipeg , to name a few .
A couple of years ago Chris Jones moved from Edmonton to Saskatchewan and took a whole bunch with him . It happens i would say because people bring along some of those they know . Look at Claybrooks , he brought along a few ex-Stamps along for his coaching staff too .
pennw
Legend

Some of the former Esks are pretty good players too . Anyone want to cut Figeroa, Grymes or that new center who we just got off the Esk PR , Jean-Simon Roy ? The BC OL played way better last game and it would seem to be because of Roy at center . John White had a really good game too .
If anyone could have the finger pointed at him for the loss , it would be Rich Stubler for the defenses' meltdown at the end (to a back-up QB) ,something Lions fans just may have to get used to again this season.
Last edited by pennw on Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pennw
Legend

John White had 64yds rushing , 87yds receiving , for a combined total of 151yds and 2 Tds . Many of his receiving yds were screens and short passes out of the back , very similar to the type of stuff Andrew Harris does most of the time .
MacNews
Team Captain

1) I don't like our punting
2) How do you give up an on-side kick
3) Eric Rogers ran the same play against Grymes one-on-one in the End Zone and capitalized each time. I thought Stubler would double-team Rogers or adjust the scheme so he couldn't burn us three times in one game on the SAME play.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I'm not sure Stubler was a great pick for DC. We have seen his act before and while on average, his teams are pretty good, he has this annoying tendency to sit back when pressure is required. It was in full display in that loss.
Lion Fan For Life
prospect

I agree with most of what has been said, but how could you not?
It's not how they lost or why they lost or what they did or didn't do in the game.
Easy to look back now and say this or that, but the bottom line is that they Lost again.
It's obvious that the Lions have big issues on Defence.
Riley is putting up the points, so far.
It is the D that is just terrible.
Having an SFU ( The worst program in the land ) rookie playing Middle Linebacker is just a small example as to how bad this D really is.
I agree about 71 with the hair being lost out there.
But you can say that about all 4 down linemen.
There is no pass rush at all, there is no pressure, the coverage is what you expect it to be for the CFL, which is hit and miss at best.
The product on the field regarding the Defence is just not good enough.
Special Teams are absolutely horrible but no surprise there.
Its just Football, nothing mind boggling about how it is played.
Coaches are just coaches, whether they are seasoned vets or they are raw rookies, these coaches all know the game, as they themselves have either played it or coached it or both, for their entire lives.
These coaches are not going to re invent the wheel, it's just a Passing game now, especially in the CFL.
Yawn and boring for the most part, when it comes to playing 3 down football.
In the old days, they used to actually pound the Ball, all the time, but now it is just drop back and throw, and throw again and again and again.
But now the game is so easy to read.
We have no Defence at all.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I am a big fan of Carter's potential and so far I am a bit disappointed.
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

Lion Fan For Life wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:41 am
I agree with most of what has been said, but how could you not?
It's not how they lost or why they lost or what they did or didn't do in the game.
Easy to look back now and say this or that, but the bottom line is that they Lost again.
It's obvious that the Lions have big issues on Defence.
Riley is putting up the points, so far.
It is the D that is just terrible.
Having an SFU ( The worst program in the land ) rookie playing Middle Linebacker is just a small example as to how bad this D really is.
I agree about 71 with the hair being lost out there.
But you can say that about all 4 down linemen.
There is no pass rush at all, there is no pressure, the coverage is what you expect it to be for the CFL, which is hit and miss at best.
The product on the field regarding the Defence is just not good enough.
Special Teams are absolutely horrible but no surprise there.
Its just Football, nothing mind boggling about how it is played.
Coaches are just coaches, whether they are seasoned vets or they are raw rookies, these coaches all know the game, as they themselves have either played it or coached it or both, for their entire lives.
These coaches are not going to re invent the wheel, it's just a Passing game now, especially in the CFL.
Yawn and boring for the most part, when it comes to playing 3 down football.
In the old days, they used to actually pound the Ball, all the time, but now it is just drop back and throw, and throw again and again and again.
But now the game is so easy to read.
We have no Defence at all.
Herdman is not a rookie there bud, it's his third year in the league. A rookie year is a player's first year in the league. If you watched him last year, you would see why the Lions cut Eliminian. Also how can SFU be the worst program in the land, they don't even play in U Sports anymore, so you can't really compare them to other teams. It's also not all on Herdman, the Dline is the first line of defense and needs to be better.
BC 1988
Legend

TSN reporting (Suitor just on with Sekeres & Price) that Burnham missing from practice with what is being called a "calf injury".
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions' injury woes are nothing compared to the Stamps. Quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell, running back Don Jackson and defensive end Ivan McLennan were all hurt in the comeback victory on the weekend. They join a long list of Stamps who have suffered serious injuries.

Stampeders defensive line gets more bad news

More on the injuries to Mitchell and others:

Stampeders anxiously await results of Mitchell's MRI
BC 1988
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:54 pm
The Lions' injury woes are nothing compared to the Stamps. Quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell, running back Don Jackson and defensive end Ivan McLennan were all hurt in the comeback victory on the weekend. They join a long list of Stamps who have suffered serious injuries.

Stampeders defensive line gets more bad news

More on the injuries to Mitchell and others:

Stampeders anxiously await results of Mitchell's MRI
After getting a second opinion, BLM goes on the six-game injury list. Arbuckle will get a chance to show what he did to BC wasn't a fluke.
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/ ... -1.5201340
David
Team Captain

Did anyone else take film study classes and can't get silent screen star Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle out of their head every time they hear the name?!?

Or is it just me? :rotf:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:35 pm
Did anyone else take film study classes and can't get silent screen star Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle out of their head every time they hear the name?!?

Or is it just me? :rotf:

DH :cool:
Arbuckle. Cool name. It is so cool I always forget the football player's first name.

Looking for an easy credit at UBC, I took one of those film study courses. No Fatty Arbuckle discussed though. I did reports on ''2001 Space Odyssey'' and ''The Stunt Man.'' Easy grade. Good choice. Ha ha

Somewhere I did hear of Fatty's rape trial, disgrace and temporary banishment from films.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roscoe_Arbuckle

Sounds like, as a celebrity, he was victimized.

20111116015020Good_Night_thumb1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.