Lions Additions and Cuts

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Punter Josh Bartel has landed in the Den.

Despite an improvement in Castillo's punting last game, the Australian native Bartel will be able to punt for placement/accuracy and bring up our net punting average in the process. This is a good signing. :beauty:

He was only made expendable by hometown boy Jon Ryan wanting to sign with the Riders. I don't think they were actively seeking a replacement.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Well, one thing hopefully improved.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Would much prefer having someone who can place kick and punt. Can free up a spot for ........speed receiver ?
BC 1988
Legend

I see Bartel was a non-import under 2012 rules.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Bartel
What is he now under current rules? (He's not on the roster yet, and they now have A/N/G classes.)
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:16 pm

He was only made expendable by hometown boy Jon Ryan wanting to sign with the Riders. I don't think they were actively seeking a replacement.
Riders may not have been looking for a replacement but their fans sure were. They wanted him sent down the Trans-Canada Highway on the kangaroo he rode in on. His average fell off a full 3 yards from the previous year to 40.9 which I think may have been worst in the league and slightly behind Castillo's current pace.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:29 pm
I see Bartel was a non-import under 2012 rules.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Bartel
What is he now under current rules? (He's not on the roster yet, and they now have A/N/G classes.)
Had he come to the CFL this year he'd likely be a Global player. He remains considered a NAT because he qualified as an NI when he first came to the CFL. Had he joined after they went from NI/IMP to NAT/INT he probably would have been considered an INT and now American. He will remain grandfathered as a NAT as long as he keeps playing no matter how the rules evolve.
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:58 pm
David wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:16 pm

Riders may not have been looking for a replacement but their fans sure were. They wanted him sent down the Trans-Canada Highway on the kangaroo he rode in on. His average fell off a full 3 yards from the previous year to 40.9 which I think may have been worst in the league and slightly behind Castillo's current pace.
My understanding is that he was often asked to punt to a particular place on field. He never has been a distance punter who will just kick it as far as he can. I'm not saying he's Richie Leone, or even Rob Maver, but should be an improvement on Castillo and allow him to just concentrate on field goals and kick-offs.

If you want it dropped inside the 10 or away from Chris Rainey, Bartel is capable of that. I'd have to look further into why his punting average was so low last year. I have to think that punting inside BC Place vs Regina might help him a bit though. :wink:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

This article suggests, as I vaguely remembered, that Bartel's short-average punting had mostly to do with staying within the system then-special-teams coach Craig Dickensen and Chris Jones wanted, emphasis on hang-time and placement. https://www.riderville.com/2018/10/12/n ... r-century/ They were apparently not dissatisfied, according to Bartel. Perhaps take that with a grain of salt, but it seems plausible. I'm happy he's here - show's we're not standing pat. And we shall see how it pans out.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:01 pm
This article suggests, as I vaguely remembered, that Bartel's short-average punting had mostly to do with staying within the system then-special-teams coach Craig Dickensen and Chris Jones wanted, emphasis on hang-time and placement. https://www.riderville.com/2018/10/12/n ... r-century/ They were apparently not dissatisfied, according to Bartel. Perhaps take that with a grain of salt, but it seems plausible. I'm happy he's here - show's we're not standing pat. And we shall see how it pans out.
Well he had the same HC and STC for his last 3 years as a Rider and his numbers declined steadily. His average went from 45.1 (4th) in 2016 to 43.9 (7th) in 2017 to 40.9 (distant 9th 3.6 yards behind #8). His net over that same period was 35.0 (tied for 5th) in 2016, 34.9 (4th) in 2017 and 33.4 (9th) in 2018. The 45.1 in 2016 was a career high and the 43.9 in 2017 his 2nd best season. 40.9 last year was the worst of his 6 seasons. If there is truth re: the system Jones wanted the stats makes one wonder why. Then again Jones considers himself the smartest man in any room. If there was anything memorable last year from watching him it was that Rainey really struggled trying to field those Aussie style end over end kicks. Aussie footy players always let the ball drop nose down when they kick it which creates the end over end action.
Last edited by Hambone on Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Would not be surprised if Hervey picks up Robinson considering his obsession with picking up ex Eskimos:

The Edmonton Eskimos have released American running back Jordan Robinson and American receiver Bryce Bobo.

Robinson played in just one game for the Esks this season, collecting 131 kickoff return yards and four punt return yards.

He joined Edmonton in 2018 and suited up in nine games. The 24-year-old tallied seven carries for 23 yards and also hauled in five passes for 77 yards and a touchdown. Robinson also added 209 punt return yards and 539 kickoff return yards.

Bobo joined the Esks this season and did not see any action.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

It sounded at the signing that Jon Ryan was going to make fans forget Bartel as he can really boom them downfield and because Ryan brings them some celebrity status in his name and NFL pedigree.

It's hard to judge punters on distance alone as others note. If they want hang time and placement then that has to be judged. If you want the kick coverage out kicked it looks good but not so good when the Raineys etc take it all the way back for a TD.

Also short averages can mean they punted for a pin from short distances and if I had a dollar for every time a punt goes for a conceded single and TSN radio/tv say "that was not what they wanted here" and blah blah about how this now gives Reilly/Nichols/Mitchell/Harris field position as a result - I'd be rich.

Again in the nuances of the CFL game there is far more decision making in the long field and deep end zones about whether to punt or try a FG (the latter risking blocks like all of football but the CFL risk is a miss a long kick return so even teams who can use the 3 pts get cold feet and try a punt - and when the kicker miss hits for the single even when they could use the point, it gets noted that it is bad. NFL - none of this is even a factor as it either hits or doesn't as rarely is it run back as the posts are the back (how weird is that) and the end zones are shallow.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

I was scanning over the Leos' players lists and notice that WR Benjamin Plu (global from France) is back in the den - now newly-listed on the PR. He'd been gone, back home if I recall, and was on the so-called 'suspended' list I believe. Likely personal/family matters of some kind.
So, anyhow, given the underwhelming performances of both our wide-outs (Carter and Shaq J.) in Jarious's oh-so-frustrating system, it might be interesting to plug Mr. Plu into the offence just for a chance to see what he might do under the lights in real action.
I'm wondering if any of you training camp attendees have any takeaways re the fellow? Seems to me he was already gone home for the pre-season games, but I'll stand corrected on that point. I know changing personnel in a stagnant system isn't the fix, but I'm curious nonetheless.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:23 pm
I was scanning over the Leos' players lists and notice that WR Benjamin Plu (global from France) is back in the den - now newly-listed on the PR. He'd been gone, back home if I recall, and was on the so-called 'suspended' list I believe. Likely personal/family matters of some kind.
So, anyhow, given the underwhelming performances of both our wide-outs (Carter and Shaq J.) in Jarious's oh-so-frustrating system, it might be interesting to plug Mr. Plu into the offence just for a chance to see what he might do under the lights in real action.
I'm wondering if any of you training camp attendees have any takeaways re the fellow? Seems to me he was already gone home for the pre-season games, but I'll stand corrected on that point. I know changing personnel in a stagnant system isn't the fix, but I'm curious nonetheless.
Plu didn't see much action in training camp before going home, and he was well down the depth chart at the slotback position now held by Jevon Cottoy.

Gerardo Alvarez, who has been on the active roster each week, is the next man up at wideout. He has good hands and speed and can get open. Fernando Richarte, a wideout who caught a clutch third-down pass in preseason, is on the practice roster and would probably be the next global player to see action.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

I would rate Plu as being in the bottom half of the receivers in camp. Basically fairly average in a group of equally average recruits. He didn't look any better than those in that group nor did he look any worse. Decent hands and speed. Made some plays, had some drops. I'm thinking he did make a couple nice catches in traffic. If I recall he did have a bit of a leg up on the Mexicans in that he had played some CIS ball at McGill I think?
David
Team Captain

As expected, the club has inked speedy receiver/returner Ryan Lankford, formerly of Ottawa. He was released after that gaffe against the Bombers in which he let the ball bounce and Medlock deflected it out of bounds. Otherwise, he should provide the necessary upfield speed and "quick twitch" returning the ball that we've been lacking.

Roar, You Lions, Roar