Lions Additions and Cuts

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnnyMusso
Champion

According to Dave Naylor:

Hearing that last season’s Eastern All-star safety @Doz43 will soon be a member of the BCLions. Was a free agent after spending last 2 season with @MTLAlouettes. 150 tackles and 5 int’s over that span. #Lions #Als #CFL

To make room 3rd string QB Ricky Lloyd was cut today.

If they continue to lose, I expect more changes to come.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions made several moves Wednesday, including adding centre Andrew Peirson to the roster and moving Brett Boyko to the 1-game injured list.
June 25, 2019
Sign to Roster: DB Branden Dozier (A)
Sign to Practice Roster: LB Korey Toomer (A)
Add to Roster from Practice Roster: OL Andrew Peirson (N)
Place on 1-Game Injured List: OL Brett Boyko (N)
Release from Practice Roster: QB Ricky Lloyd (A)
Reggiemac
Rookie

I have to wonder why Dozier was available? Hopefully he hasnt lost a step or other issue?
The_Pauser
Legend

Glad to see Pierson back as I thought he played very well at C last year. I saw Henry Burris on twitter talking about how the Lions should sign Jon Gott to be our C...perhaps that's an option to consider, but for now let's see if Pierson's play can carry forward.

Boyko hasn't played well IMO and I didn't expect him to. He didn't look good in the AAF either. I'd like to see what Knevel can do there, though I get a feeling Foucault may get a look. I hope Steward slides back to LG.

Figueroa-Steward-Pierson-Chungh-Foucault or Knevel looks good to me.

Dozier is a great signing. Not sure who he will displace but you could look at either Thompson or Termansen who I really have not liked this year. I still would like to see another addition to our secondary since we can afford to start another import, as well as another addition to our DL.

Regarding Ricky Lloyd, I wonder if the issue is his pay? It's tough going from making the league minimum on the active roster back down to practice roster pay.
Roar you Lions roar!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have former Edmonton draft pick Jean-Simon Roy on the roster as a backup centre. By adding Peirson, they must be planning to start one of them this week. That would move Steward back to LG and Foucault back to RT where they are most comfortable and practised through most of training camp.

As for Ricky Lloyd, whether he requested his release is academic. Having two QBs on the practice roster was a needless luxury when the club only dresses two QBs. I'm happy that Grant Kraemer will be their only developmental QB. The club has bigger needs for the additional practice roster spot.
VictoriaFan
Starter

Now if they could just get a decent back, of course they'd have to call a run play....
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Toomer sounds like he will soon be activated or be on his way. A 30 year-old 7-year NFL veteran isn't hanging around long for a CFL practice roster cheque.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Reggiemac wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:57 pm
I have to wonder why Dozier was available? Hopefully he hasnt lost a step or other issue?
I don't know what the scoop was there. Dozier wasn't a pending FA. Montreal had kept him right up to 10 days before training camp before letting him go. He would have still been on his first contract so salary shouldn't have been an issue.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
CardiacKid
Legend

The_Pauser wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:29 pm
Glad to see Pierson back as I thought he played very well at C last year. I saw Henry Burris on twitter talking about how the Lions should sign Jon Gott to be our C...perhaps that's an option to consider, but for now let's see if Pierson's play can carry forward.

Boyko hasn't played well IMO and I didn't expect him to. He didn't look good in the AAF either. I'd like to see what Knevel can do there, though I get a feeling Foucault may get a look. I hope Steward slides back to LG.

Figueroa-Steward-Pierson-Chungh-Foucault or Knevel looks good to me.

Dozier is a great signing. Not sure who he will displace but you could look at either Thompson or Termansen who I really have not liked this year. I still would like to see another addition to our secondary since we can afford to start another import, as well as another addition to our DL.

Regarding Ricky Lloyd, I wonder if the issue is his pay? It's tough going from making the league minimum on the active roster back down to practice roster pay.
I still find it very curious that Chris Ackie isn’t on anyone’s roster.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:56 pm
The Lions made several moves Wednesday, including adding centre Andrew Peirson to the roster and moving Brett Boyko to the 1-game injured list.
Rumour has it that Brett Boyko suffered a severe case of whiplash as a result of defensive linemen blowing by him.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:19 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Rumour has it that Brett Boyko suffered a severe case of whiplash as a result of defensive linemen blowing by him.
If he was a goalie he would have sunburn on his neck just like "Red Light" Racicot of the Habs years ago.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I cut Boyko some slack as basically he spent his entire time in the NFL just figuring out to stay in the NFL versus actually like many in the CFL - wanting to play, develop and improve.

His potential suggests they shouldn't be too impatient but he wasn't alone in letting pressure on the QB and I don't know if he was supposed to pick those non-picked up guys up BUT no one seemed to tell him that mid game. Saw no adjustments.

It's a bit scary when we're now signing ex-Als DEF players lol .... but who knows.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Dozier's release in Montreal was inevitable after the Als signed all-star national safety Taylor Loffler in free agency. Now Loffler and LB Bo Lokombo are injured and the Als are struggling to field seven national starters.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

According to Farhan:

BC Lions changes include RT Brett Boyko going on the 1-game injured list. Apparently the leg injury he suffered camp has been effecting him. Foucault to RT, Steward to LG & Roy to C. On defense, Dozier to safety & Thompson replaces Termanson at field corner. @TSN1040 @CFLonTSN
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:52 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:19 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
If he was a goalie he would have sunburn on his neck just like "Red Light" Racicot of the Habs years ago.
Best nickname for a goalie ever