Lions Additions and Cuts

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:02 pm
As expected, the club has inked speedy receiver/returner Ryan Lankford, formerly of Ottawa. He was released after that gaffe against the Bombers in which he let the ball bounce and Medlock deflected it out of bounds. Otherwise, he should provide the necessary upfield speed and "quick twitch" returning the ball that we've been lacking.

DH :cool:
And he can also punt. Maybe he's coming in to push Bartel already. :wink:

He was called to pinch hit for Medlock last year and had 6 punts for 44.5 average and 4 KOs for a 64.3 ave. He also made a 28 yard FG and was good on all 3 convert attempts. The year before he recorded 2 punts for a 54.5 average. In some ways he was more productive last year as a kicker than receiver. He only played 4 games recording 5 catches for 91 years including a 65 yard TD.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

ABBC3_OFFTOPIC
We have signed 🇺🇸 DL Mackendy Cheridor to the Practice Roster and released 🇨🇦 DB Dominique Termansen.
Termansen goes from a starting national field side corner out of training camp to being released outright 5 weeks later. My goodness. No longer good enough to even be a back-up and no way this was a salary dump.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:15 pm
ABBC3_OFFTOPIC
We have signed 🇺🇸 DL Mackendy Cheridor to the Practice Roster and released 🇨🇦 DB Dominique Termansen.
Termansen goes from a starting national field side corner out of training camp to being released outright 5 weeks later. My goodness. No longer good enough to even be a back-up and no way this was a salary dump.
That’s a head-scratcher. I thought Termansen was one of the best cover guys in camp. He excelled in one-on-ones and team play against a variety of receivers and beat Guzylak-Messam, Woodman and Hamlin for the field corner job but he couldn’t seem to master the intricacies of Rich Stubler’s system. He could be a good pickup by another team.
ZLions
Rookie

Stefan Logan just got released by Montreal, comes as a bit of a surprise as he was putting up decent numbers on kick/punt returns, but I guess age/salary was a factor. We probably aren’t in need of a player of his calibre, but I wouldn’t mind at all having him back here in BC.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I think Logan's violation of the CFL's social policy was part of the reason he was cut.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:00 pm
I think Logan's violation of the CFL's social policy was part of the reason he was cut.
There was also a tweet from Zurkowsky I think that indicated Montreal's coaches were ready to move on from Logan BEFORE last season but Kavis Reed ixnayed it. Apparently Logan had also made comment somewhere along the way that he was "untouchable". If there's any truth to those things plus the other rumoured reasons Reed was let go it could be that Logan was right in the middle of the scheme to circumvent the cap and his "untouchable" status ended with Kavis' firing.

Personally I was very surprised that Logan was brought back this season given his age. It's a small sample at 4 games but while his punt return numbers are OK his KO numbers have fallen off to an 18.5 average. He was for all intents no longer considered part of the offense or a change of pace back. He's only had 3 rushes and 5 receptions in 16GP since 2017. He only had 1 carry for 10 yards in 2018 and 2 carries this year, gaining 6 on one and losing 4 on the other. One thing I was surprised at when recalling his days as a Lion was that while he scored 5 TDs on offense he never recorded a TD as a returner.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
As expected, the club has inked speedy receiver/returner Ryan Lankford, formerly of Ottawa. He was released after that gaffe against the Bombers in which he let the ball bounce and Medlock deflected it out of bounds. Otherwise, he should provide the necessary upfield speed and "quick twitch" returning the ball that we've been lacking.

Brilliant. Get a CFL vet who hasn't a clue on the rules when the kicker is barrelling downfield and it costs them the game. That's not on the coaching staff - that's on this guy.

Normally I'd be for cutting the guy some slack but not with this team as his boo boo is just one of the dudes here in BC .
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:28 pm
David wrote:

And he can also punt. Maybe he's coming in to push Bartel already. :wink:

He was called to pinch hit for Medlock last year and had 6 punts for 44.5 average and 4 KOs for a 64.3 ave. He also made a 28 yard FG and was good on all 3 convert attempts. The year before he recorded 2 punts for a 54.5 average. In some ways he was more productive last year as a kicker than receiver. He only played 4 games recording 5 catches for 91 years including a 65 yard TD.
On Monday after the official practice ended they hauled the goal posts to midfield and a guy in civvies starting punting and place kicking. Spoke to him as he left the field and he had just travelled to BC from South Africa for 24 hours. He said he was coming back Tuesday after he was more rested. While he shanked one, he hit some boomers that had those of us watching the practice checking him out.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have added American offensive lineman Phillip Norman to the roster from the practice roster. He backed up Hunter Steward and David Foucault at left guard in training camp and was the only American lineman on the practice roster.

The Lions have also released defensive end Meffy Koloamatangi and added DL Charles Wright, a 6 ft. 4, 240-lb. rookie pro who played linebacker for four years at Vanderbilt, to the practice roster.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:46 am
The Lions have also released defensive end Meffy Koloamatangi.
Big sigh of relief from Moj. :wink:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Moj and Carravatta should just stick with talking about food and former BC Lions.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

There is a very remote possibility of Mike Reilly being yanked from the starting lineup unless he suffers a catastrophic injury why don't the Lions place Danny O'Brien on the practice roster and replace him with Grant Kraemer ? Kraemer earns less and will speed up his development watching from the sidelines.
David
Team Captain

I don't disagree. I would love to see Kraemer get some reps when we're 3 scores down in garbage time. But O'Brien is the holder for Castillo, so it makes more sense for him to be back-up right now.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
JohnnyMusso
Champion

If Lions lose the next game I think there will be changes coming since they going on a bye. If not Hervey may not last the year.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

get some real oline men. Hire some Sumo wrestlers. Couldn't do any worse.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back